Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my MDX for about a week now and in this time it's clear to me that the Navi is a very complicated and complex instrument that can do a lot of things, things that are not obvious even after a detailed read of the manual. I propose that we start this thread for owners to share information about how to use it to it's full potential. (Frankly it's a way for me to get my navi questions answered!)

Questions:

1) Is there a simple command, voice or manual, to immediately jump from a navigational map to the black screen? That is, a way to turn off the screen and the navigation.

2) Is there a quick way to jump from a navigational screen to the staight map screen, like the one you get when you touch map without programing a destination, without the route info? Again, to turn off the naviational and just show a map of where you are.

3) My navi software version is 1.000. Is there a newer one?

4) Is it possible to jump directly from a navigationing screen to the trip computer without pushing info button and then selecting item #2?

5) Is there a way of transferring one of the "previous visit" locations into my personal addresses without retyping everything?

Other than this, the Navi is fantastic! It is definitely worth the extra $$$.

·
Registered
449 Posts
This question will have to be answered by the 2003 owners. Sadly, the 2002 and 2003 navi. are alittle different.:(

·
Registered
249 Posts

I have not found a way to do #5 either. Only way to enter personal addresses is through set-up screen.

·
Registered
319 Posts
namegoeshere said:
5) Is there a way of transferring one of the "previous visit" locations into my personal addresses without retyping everything?
Page 65 in the manual: Previous Destination; This option allows you to store one of the locations on the Previous Destinations list in your Personal Address list.

I don't know if this works because I don't have my X yet :(

·
Registered
207 Posts
As to a newer version of the DVD, there isn't one. We have 2003 models, which have only been out for 3 and a half months, so the next version of the DVD probably won't be here for another year or two. As for all the commands, I've been incredibly lazy and haven't even peeked at the Navi manual yet (had the X for a month and half). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Speaking of Navi questions, is there anyway you can compile a list of nearest Starbucks in relation to whatever area you're in? :)

Starbucks isn't under the restaurants category, and when I went to just type in the name, I got various Starbucks in Canada and New York. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that there isn't a way to correct this, but it would be nice if you could type in something like "Starbucks" for whatever area you're in.

But considering my complaint is about finding the nearest java place, it isn't TOO vital!

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is a bit off topic, but I wanted to share my experience with the Navi last night.

I was on my way back home from medical appointments (including eye dilation) in Orlando, heading to Titusville by way of #408 and #50. As I got within one to two miles of the exit for #50 the traffic started to back up, especially in the right lane. At about the same time a traffic report came on the radio and two major accidents on my route down #50 were announced. I shifted to the left lane and soon passed the exit and the overpass over #50 and noticed the giant parking lot of cars into the distance. Since I was now commited to follow #408 to the end a couple of miles further I started thinking of alternate routes to Titusville. If you know this part of central Florida you would know that it is peppered with numerous lakes which make driving straight through, by other than a few major routes, very difficult. Also, AAA does not publish maps covering the area between East Orlando and Titusville.

So here I was, anxious to get home before dark, fake sunglass film over my eyes along with glasses I was not used to driving with (I use contacts, but could not because of the dilation) moving toward unknown territory. As soon as I got to the end of the freeway I pulled over into an industrial area to program the Navi to get me home, as well as calling my wife to inform her of my predicament. She suggested I make my way to #528, known as the Beeline, but I did not feel comfortable going way out of my way during the rush hour by taking that southern route. The Navi, of course programed me to return to my original route so I decided to head North towards possible alternate routes East. At this point I used the Navi map showing my location, zooming in and out searching for major roads heading east. It soon turned dark as I made my way North through heavy traffic, oncoming cars almost blinding me. After travelling north for some time the Navi showed a major road heading east, which I took. I traveled a while before I pulled over to try programing the Navi again. This time it plotted a route through back roads from my present location to my home rejoining #50 much further East of the accidents and the traffic bottleneck.

You can't imagine the feeling of security I felt travelling unknown dark back roads with a comforting voice guiding me along (by the way, I love the way the Navi screen switches to night mode as it gets dark). As I left the back roads and joined #50 to head home on a familiar route I thought to myself that the Navi was worth every penny I payed for it. I'll never get another car without it!

·
Registered
291 Posts
formerjeeper

You could have tried to just “detour” out #50 the first time the Navi gave you a route home. I have used this feature a few times and it is great.

Off the top of my head I can’t remember what buttons to press (OK ‘03ers no need to rub it in). One option is a quick and easy method that allows you to detour around the present road you are on. Another method gives you a list of roads on your route and you can pick the ones you want to detour.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for everyone's answers. On Q5, it is correct in that one of the options in the personal address edit screen is "Previous Destination" so it's quite straightforward to move the address to the "Personal Address" area. Sorry, should have read the manual closer.

On Q3, when I say "Display Map" after being on a navigated route (with the Blue route outlined) the map with the navigation route is returned. What I want is just a map of my area without the blue navigation route highlighted. This is for when I say "Go Home" from unfamiliar territory. When I get close to my house, I know the route and don't need the highlighted paths and would just prefer a moving map of the area.

That would be great if we can search via Starbucks or any other name POIs.

It would also be great if there are more icons. Can you imagine if we can get the Starbucks icon on our maps for our search. I can see product placement potential here. Also, I would like an icon for rest stops on highways.

·
Registered
293 Posts
namegoeshere,

can you do "display menu", "cancel", "display map"? i know "display menu" after a planned route would bring up a screen showing if you want to cancel the current route or change routing method, etc.

-henry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts