Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. My wife and I are doing some long-range planning for an upcoming SUV purchase. We were expecting to get a Grand Cherokee, but as we will be buying and not leasing, we are concerned about reported quality-control problems with this brand of Jeep.

The MDX caught our eye and I, for one, am smitten. Besides, a 2003 would only be a little more expensive that a Grand Cherokee (as we learned to our surprise).

Therefore, we have some quick questions:

1) Is the Touring Package option worth the cost ? After doing some on-line "build your own" comparisons, we noticed that we don't like/need many of the Touring features. We could get a basic MDX, add a CD changer and roof rack (Base Carrier Kit), and actually come-out $1700 ahead (vs. getting the Touring Package). Is there something we've missed ?

2) What is the difference between the roof rack included in the Touring Package and the Base Carrier Kit "roof rack" accessory ?

3) Would anyone recommend getting the tailgate deflector accessory ?

4) The Acura website shows MDXs available in black, white, crimson, silver, beige, and a metallic light blue. Are there other colors available ? I thought for sure that I once saw a dark green MDX . . . or were my eyes playing tricks ?

5) Oh, yeah: do MDX owners on this site have a standard nickname for their favorite vehicle ? Do you say: "everybody pile into the 'X" or does referring to your MDX as your "X" earn you goofy looks ?

Thanks, guys, for all your help.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
1. Power passenger seat, memory seats, auto-tilt when reversing passenger-side mirror, different-style wheels with Michelins rather than Goodyears (same size, though). We didn't get the Touring pkg. because it cost more than we were willing to pay for the features.

2. Same thing. Buy it from Tim at Hondacuraworld.com and install it yourself; it'll save a lot of $.

3. Most people who get it, get it for the looks. If you don't mind drilling a couple of holes, you can get this from Tim also, including painted to match your X.

4. There used to be a green as well as Mahogany; they've been discontinued and new colors have been added.

5. Who cares about goofy looks? WE'RE MDXers!!! :5:

GO FOR IT! :29:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
FutureMDXer,

Make sure you consider the Navigation option. I also didn't think the Touring was for me, but got the Navigation. It's definitely worth it, especially if you're keeping the car. It routes out your trips and a navi voice tells you to turn in a 1/2 mile, quarter mile, 900 feet... 800 feet... you get the picture. It also shows you on the map ATMs, restaurants, and gas stations. It also has a phone book, where you can plot out trips based on the destination's phone number.

Then of course, you can put on some accessories. I got the painted deflectors and mud flaps to match the body color, and had some other things done.

Hope to see you on this forum not just as a prospective buyer, but owner-member;)

You can check out some pics using the signature links...

·
Registered
124 Posts
FutureMDXer

If I had it to do again, I would do exactly what I did and buy the Touring with Nav. I am going to keep the vehicle for several years and figured that I would be happy with the two options long after I forgot what they cost. The Nav is a must and the Touring package adds that extra touch to the joy of owning.

I did not buy any accessories from the dealer. They were asking twice Tim's price for many accessories. They are not that hard to install, so get the Touring with the Nav and add the accessories you like later and get them from Tim at great prices.

About the only accessory I don't have is the rear deflector. I just think it detracts from the clean lines of the rear section. However, some folks really like the way it looks, so it is a personal thing. Some even say it keeps the rear hatch window cleaner in the weather. I haven't found that to be a problem even in hard rain.

You'll enjoy the "X" regardless of what you add to it. It is a marvelous vehicle.

·
Registered
327 Posts
FutureMDXer,

Welcome to MDX fever. My brother-in-law has owned 3 Jeep Cherokee's and everyone has had major problems (he just doesn't learn!). I was in your position several months ago while shopping for SUV's and then got hooked on the MDX. I placed my order last month and am waiting for a Starlight Silver or Havasu Blue Touring with Nav, whichever arrives first. Since you are also from northern Virginia I would recommend looking at the dealers in Maryland since you won't have to pay the Virginia dealer processing fee and gross receipts tax, although sometimes a VA dealer will waive those fees to get your business. I have had an excellent experience with Chevy Chase Acura in Bethesda. If you are interested PM me and I'll give you the saleman's name. He is a real pro. Good luck

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Get The MDX, You Wont Regret It.

Touring vrs base is a personal decision. What's right for us may not be the best for someone else. A couple of the touring extras were very important for use so that is what we bought:

8 way passenger seat---My wife and I are tall, 5'9" and 6'2" and we have a difficult time getting comfortable in the passenger seat in many vehicles. We take our Volvo (Not anymore) on long trips and we both would prefer to drive because the passenger seat gets very uncomfortable real quick. The drivers seat is 8 way and the passenger seat is not in the Volvo.

Memory on side rear view and driver seat---We both will drive the MDX (I call it the X by the way) and this is a great feature for us.

Upgrade Music System---Others (stereo buffs) think it is not that great but we like it a lot and 6 CD changer in dash is convenient.

Michelin Tires---A significant improvement over the base tires IMO. Wheel design is no big deal.

Rack---Will use this a lot for winter sports although I viewed this as a bonus because without the other important extras this could be purchased after marked for less than $200. Tilt down mirror, although not important, it is a nice feature.

I also highly recommend the navigation system. I initially ordered my X without and changed my order after finding this site and reading more about it. I have only had my X for 8 days but I am very happy I made the switch.

How do I feel about my decision to buy the MDX? Great, I really like this car, SUV, minivan; all in one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Went through this debate quite a bit myself on touring vs base but besides the features you can add yourself I would only miss power passenger seat which seems like it should be standard. Hard for me when I just sold a 93 jag with all power, memory, etc. and I have to pay 2,000 to add it on an MDX! Anyway, you can easily upgrade the stereo and make it better than the bose system and an MP3 player is equal to a 10 cd changer without having to change any CD's if you are into the new digital music kind of thing. Would I rather have a touring - sure! But with that extra savings just use the base tires for a while and then purchase better ones when the time comes.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
8 Way Passenger Seat

juvee said:
I would only miss power passenger seat which seems like it should be standard.
I agree but also hard to understand is the fact that the TL and even the RL's do not even have the 8 way passenger seat available as an option. We almost bought an RL 4 months ago, the lack of this option was part of our decision not to. At that time we had not even heard of the MDX, saw one at a Hertz used car lot a few months age, took it for a test drive and really liked it. It was a 2001 with 18000 miles and they wanted almost as much as a new one so we ordered a new one. Stange that the Acura dealer that showed us the RL did not mention the MDX when he knew that the 8 way passenger seat was important to us.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The advanced options of the touring model are nice, but I decided that the base model was well equipped with everything I really wanted. So, it's a personal decision, but you may do better by adding on later. (from Tim, of course).

As far as colors, the green only came in 2001. It was cut, with white, red rock, and havasa blue added (to mahogany, starlight silver, black, granite green, and mesa beige). Rumors are that granet green is going away next year.

Calling it the "X" is better than calling it a truck and much better than calling it a van.

Last tip. Before you buy, look at the Honda Pilot as a same-but-different alternative.

·
Registered
166 Posts
All I can say is: don't buy that Jeep! Our MDX is replacing our '97 Grand Cherokee and although we haven't had any major problems, we've had enough small/annoying things to last us awhile. Plus, the differentials on our model year (and supposedly nothing significant has changed) last for about 60,000 miles. They are $1500-2000 to repair PER differential. Altogether, we've spent about $3500 to repair our Jeep since last Fall, and it only has 80,000 miles on it! I figured we might as well pay a car payment then...

As for Base vs. Touring, we decided the extra $2600 wasn't worth it. We also did not opt for Navi, although it is a nice feature. Living in AZ, it's pretty easy to get around anyway.

The Granite Green and Mahogany colors have now been discontinued for 2002, and I lucked out and got one of the last GGs. Don't know about whether they may make a comeback in 2003 yet...

Good luck in your search - it's a great SUV.

·
Registered
738 Posts
If you've looked at the list of Touring features and feel the need to ask this group if the $2,600 is worth it, then you may have answered your own question. Most MDX owners had to be very motivated by at least 2 or 3 of the features to shell out the extra sum (including tax, it's worth a Club Med vacation for two to almost anywhere, including airfare).

The Navi is a whole 'nuther story. You know the phrase, you don't know what you're missing if you never had it? I haven't heard of anyone who regrets purchasing the Navi. Yes, there are many owners that don't have Navi, and don't miss it, but that's because they haven't become spoiled to it, yet.

Say you live in Nebraska (who needs a stinkin' Navi?) and you take a summer trip into Manhatten and suddenly have an urge for Italian, but its getting late and you're not sure who's where and when they close (even the yellow pages won't help you if you're new to the city). Boom, a list of 20 Italian joints ranked by distance, with phone numbers to call to see what time they close, or to make reservations at better places. And you know, those crazy interchanges in metropolitan areas, w/ 50 signs all pointing the wrong way, not visible until you pass the turn off? Detailed, very detailed, interchange zoom-in shots and highly specific voice prompts talk you in as you get closer. Cute voice even. Tells you how far to the next rest area w/ a public restroom so you can decide if that 3rd cup of coffee is a good idea before you hit the road again across the state. Nearest gas station info comes in handy if you travel. Hospital info could be useful during an emergency as well, I could go on forever. If clear directions in an unfamiliar area can prevent a serious accident from occuring, I think that in itself is worth the price of the Navi.

Okay, I'm getting dizzy up here on my soap box,need to get down. My humble opinion for your consideration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
MDX over the Jeep

I am fixing to by an MDX to replace my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Jeep has been lots of trouble and I am looking forward to the reliability that comes with the Acura name.

My advice would be not to buy a Jeep.

David

·
Registered
162 Posts
I never regretted having the Touring features, and never missed the Navi. But, as they say, I never tried the Navi! Shameless plug: I have a 2001 non-navi Touring (granite green) for sale in the DC area (see classifieds on this board). Best of luck with your decision. P.S. Personally, I think the rear air deflector adds a great look to the X.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Touring and Navagation a Must

I insisted getting the touring with navagation for the following reasons:

1. Navagation system is one of the best on market, much better installed from factory
2. Michelin tires only available on touring, much quieter and much better handling.
3. Memory seats
4. right side tilting mirror, excellent for parallel parking and not scraping the tires on the curb.
5. Power passenger seat for my wife
6. Pattern on the touring wheels
7. Increased amplifier and additional speakers for bose radio
8. In dash cd changer

I do agree it is a little overpriced, but once your spending the kind of money for this SUV what a little more to have the features you want.:2: :4: :5: :10: :18: :29:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Re: Touring and Navagation a Must

paul123 said:
I insisted getting the touring with navagation for the following reasons:

1. Navagation system is one of the best on market, much better installed from factory
2. Michelin tires only available on touring, much quieter and much better handling.
3. Memory seats
4. right side tilting mirror, excellent for parallel parking and not scraping the tires on the curb.
5. Power passenger seat for my wife
6. Pattern on the touring wheels
7. Increased amplifier and additional speakers for bose radio
8. In dash cd changer

I do agree it is a little overpriced, but once your spending the kind of money for this SUV what a little more to have the features you want.:2: :4: :5: :10: :18: :29:
The navigation unit needs to updated at an additional cost to the owner.
I can tilt the right side mirror anytime I want with my base MDX.
I would argue that the pattern on the touring wheel does not look as good as the base wheel.
The in-dash CD-Changer is not as practical as my six-disk Alpine changer under the driver seat. What happens if your in dash CD-Changer gets totally jammed???

I still cannot justify the additional $4600 for the Navi+Touring

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Re: Re: Touring and Navagation a Must

rvehock said:

I would argue that the pattern on the touring wheel does not look as good as the base wheel.
The in-dash CD-Changer is not as practical as my six-disk Alpine changer under the driver seat. What happens if your in dash CD-Changer gets totally jammed???

Agreed on the wheel design, I like it a little better on the Base, however, for the navigation, I don't foresee updating it for another two years or three years, but the cost for me is small considering the value I get out of it.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Re: Re: Touring and Navagation a Must

rvehock said:

Based on a cost analysis I agree with you, but based on a need and liking of the additional features it's worth every penny. Remember how you spend on this SUV, what's a little more to make more to your liking!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have been happy with my base - but looking at these shiny black pictures of the X I must admit an upgrade to the bigger engine - all black with full tint might be a nice thought next year.......buy the way, I tried to put a couple pics on here from my digital camera and always says file to large. Any trick to making it acceptable - have not posted pics before (except of my wife of course...but that is another story) :)

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
juvee said:
I have been happy with my base - but looking at these shiny black pictures of the X I must admit an upgrade to the bigger engine - all black with full tint might be a nice thought next year.......buy the way, I tried to put a couple pics on here from my digital camera and always says file to large. Any trick to making it acceptable - have not posted pics before (except of my wife of course...but that is another story) :)
Your camera has a resolution image size on it, set it to 600 x 400 and the pictures will post. You have the resolution to high, that's why the website will not accept it. You can also use Picture it in windows to shrink the pictures to web-ready pictures which will also be able to be posted on the site. Hope this helps you a little. I had a little trouble in the begining, but now I'm an expert on sizing. Try to find the menu on your camera and lower the resolution. Most cameras are set by factory to 1028 x 968 which is to large.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
juvee said:
The file can't be over 100K. Try to make them smaller and then select to look at the details of your files or right click and look at the properties. If it's too big make it smaller again. Generally GIFs are smaller than JPGs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts