Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just purchased my first Acura on Monday, a 2016 MDX Elite. Only 5,000km on it, got a great deal! I have some questions.

1. I saw that I can purchase navigation update DVD's for $200 (A quarter of the price Audi wanted on my last car!). My question is, if I subscribe to AcuraLink, which I am thinking about, do maps get automatically updated, or do I still have to purchase DVD's?

2. For the Rear Seat Entertainment. I know I can use DVD's from the front, and there is an HDMI port in the back. I am just wondering what solutions people have come up with for watching their digital movie collection? Is there something that plugs into the HDMI port, that can store movies? Any options are accepted.

3. Tips and tricks. Anything you have figured out during ownership you wish you knew right away?

Thanks all. Very excited to have this vehicle for trips with the kids! Tons of space, and a great ride. And it's my first car with ACC and LKA, and it made me laugh out loud on my own while I was driving it home from the dealership!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Are u in Canada??
In US, even if u buy Acuralink, no map updates.....I have it but use for additional features like open/lock doors, check vehicle location, send address to car gps via app, and get latest recalls or schedule dealer appointments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in Canada actually. Does the Acuralink program change based on country? I mean, $200 for a map update is peanuts, as compared to what Audi wanted, so I wouldn't mind doing it every couple years, but I was just wondering, if I pay the $800 or so (Canadian $$) for the Connect package for 5 years, does it come with free map updates?

I know it comes with traffic updates and rerouting, so I thought if I am on a road that is not on my map package, will I get traffic updates for the "non-existant" road?

·
Registered
186 Posts
There is no free map update even you are subscribed to the Acuralink program, same in Canada.

Traffic updates only apply to major roads. The non-existing roads are usually not the major ones. I doubt it will show though even though the major road got extended or something.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fair enough. As I said, the Acura map update price is a steal, so I would be willing to invest every couple of years. I travel enough to make it worth buying before a major trip. I know on my last car, there was a major new highway that went around Montreal that would have saved me a bunch of time on my last vacation, but my map program never had it!

I read the tip and tricks thread a few pages down, so that was helpful.

Any advice on number 2? I saw a thread where people talked about Xboxes and mobile hot spots, that seems complicated. I was hoping for something akin to a USB key, or small device, where I can load my digital movies and then play them on the rear seat TV.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Fair enough. As I said, the Acura map update price is a steal, so I would be willing to invest every couple of years. I travel enough to make it worth buying before a major trip. I know on my last car, there was a major new highway that went around Montreal that would have saved me a bunch of time on my last vacation, but my map program never had it!

Any advice on number 2? I saw a thread where people talked about Xboxes and mobile hot spots, that seems complicated. I was hoping for something akin to a USB key, or small device, where I can load my digital movies and then play them on the rear seat TV.
Just a FYI, the map updates usually go on sale to $99 every spring. Montreal eh? Quite the first snow you guys had I'm sure. The DVD update takes a long time... I think about 5 hours or so. I think it loads all the data onto the HDD then processes it as you drive.

As for the digital collection solution, you'll need a media player that will accept an external hard drive like the recently discontinued WDTV or similar. Otherwise, a laptop like an ultrabook or such would work. The problem is that you need a decoding device as the MDX doesn't do that for you and HDMI is only a carrier cable for the data. Basically whatever will read and output to HDMI will work. That's why sometimes using a phone along with a Roku or Chromecast type device will be the easiest solution to carrying around a library.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, Monday was the worst day I could choose to drive to Montreal to buy a car! I live about 2 hours away (on a good day) from that dealership, and it took me almost 4 that morning. Thankfully the drive home was nice in the afternoon, and allowed me to play with some of the features of the car!

Wouldn't using a phone with a hotspot kill your data plan?

So what you are saying is you need some form of storage device (external hard drive or whatever) and then a media player? Are there any devices with all that built in?

Further to the above, is there anything that is easy for a kid to use to see/start movies themselves, or would I need to pull over every two hours and go to the back if I wanted to start another movie for them?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
186 Posts

Don't expect much from the map update. There're roads that have existed for many years but I still don't see them in Acura's map. Few years later Acura would have changed the infotainment system and they may not release any map update for older cars anymore.

For #2, i think your best bet is USB + HDMI. Something like an iPod or cell phone may work too and you can easily store it in the center console with the HDMI cable out.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think that after you use the factory Map-Program-from-Hell a bit, you will be switching to a Garmin with lifetime updates. Honda/Acura updates have a reputation for being 1 or 2 years behind.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I think that after you use the factory Map-Program-from-Hell a bit, you will be switching to a Garmin with lifetime updates. Honda/Acura updates have a reputation for being 1 or 2 years behind.
I use a Garmin. The maps are newer and it works better.

·
Registered
142 Posts
As for getting movies to the HDMI port, a google search is your friend there. Small media players such as the Micca Speck G2 will get stuff from a USB drive or SD card to the HDMI port for not much $. That said I haven't tried it. :)

YouTube is a good place to compare demos of different media players to see if you think the interface is intuitive enough for your kids to figure it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's great advice, thank you everyone! Enjoying the car so far. Good winter tires and it feels solid in the snow storms we have had!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My MDX Elite came with the "upgraded" 19" chrome rims, and the dealership gave me the original 19" rims for a great price. I put on Nokian R2 winters.

I actually don't know what tires are currently on the summer rims since they were bagged and in the trunk when I drove it home.

I will try this package out for winter, however depending on how things go, I might sell this winter package next year and go for a smaller rim, 18" or even 17". Ottawa is notorious for bad roads in winter, and a little extra sidewall could go a long way come spring pothole season!

·
Registered
186 Posts
My MDX Elite came with the "upgraded" 19" chrome rims, and the dealership gave me the original 19" rims for a great price. I put on Nokian R2 winters.

I actually don't know what tires are currently on the summer rims since they were bagged and in the trunk when I drove it home.

I will try this package out for winter, however depending on how things go, I might sell this winter package next year and go for a smaller rim, 18" or even 17". Ottawa is notorious for bad roads in winter, and a little extra sidewall could go a long way come spring pothole season!
Oh right, the 2016 Elite still has the 19". It's new for 2017 to have 20"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really like the new 20" rims, but these ones are heavy enough! As it is I have to move the tire rack in my garage. I need a ladder to get tires on it, which hasn't been an issue with my Subaru or my Audi with 19". For some reason the Acura 19" are much heavier with tires, so I have to move the tire rack lower where I can get tires on without the ladder!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts