Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does fender flares reduce the amount of dirt and salt that gets splashed across the sides? I live in central NY and took delivery of my Blue Pearl MDX 2 weeks ago. I'm tired of having the sided completely covered in white salt 10 minutes after I wash it. Looking at the pattern, it's clear that most of the stuff comes from the front wheel wells. Would flares reduce this?

Also, I noticed that the flares only come in the gray/charcoal color. Has anyone put these on a blue pearl X and how do they look?

Lastly, how hard are they to put on? The instructions always look easy.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
namegoeshere said:
Does fender flares reduce the amount of dirt and salt that gets splashed across the sides? I live in central NY and took delivery of my Blue Pearl MDX 2 weeks ago. I'm tired of having the sided completely covered in white salt 10 minutes after I wash it. Looking at the pattern, it's clear that most of the stuff comes from the front wheel wells. Would flares reduce this?

Also, I noticed that the flares only come in the gray/charcoal color. Has anyone put these on a blue pearl X and how do they look?

Lastly, how hard are they to put on? The instructions always look easy.
The splash reduction is less although it will not totally eliminate it. I would say it is more of a styling option rather than functional. As for the color, I'd suggest that you get it painted since you have the MPB model. It should cost you an extra $200 from Tim to have it done.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I can't say if the 'X stays cleaner since I had the flares installed by dealer when I purchased the 'X.
Click on my signature below to see color matched flares (and other accessories) on a silver 'X.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Plus I'd suggest that you intall it yourself. . . time consuming but not very difficult

·
Registered
291 Posts
FYI-I had mine painted to match body and think the look is great. (IMHO) The body shop also asked if I wanted them to install them. I figured that since they were already there , and have a heated shop where they could keep them overnight to let the adhesive cure, it would make sense. Rather than me potentially scratching them, and doing it in a cooler garage and potentially have them not stick. It was about a $100 (cdn).

They stop a bit of the tire spray, but also take punishment from the road on the inside/underside, as there is no wheel liner , just the painted flares. Probably will have some chips over time to deal with, but since plastic, rust is not an issue there.

FYI- the front end nose mask will not fit once flares are installed, as it will not wrap around far enough to hook in the wheel well.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Curtsan:

___Was that $100 CDN painted and installed? That was a steal if that is all it cost you!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have the gray flares on my X and they look great as an offset to the NBP color....some colors I don't think the grey looks good on, like Taffeta White and Mesa Beige, but your I would think your MBP would look really nice with the grey...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sorry, $100 for the installation, painting was about $250 CDN. They did a great job and indicated they did a number of different paint mixes using slight variations of the code to get 100% perfect match.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
ayanomich said:
I have the gray flares on my X and they look great as an offset to the NBP color....some colors I don't think the grey looks good on, like Taffeta White and Mesa Beige, but your I would think your MBP would look really nice with the grey...
IMHO the grey looks great with TW and Silver and not so good with NBP. I agree with you on Mesa Beige.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
With the blue. . . have it painted. . . the flares are a good contrast with lighter colors

1 - 14 of 14 Posts