Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for honest opinions about the value of this option. We just ordered our MDX (silver, touring, navi) and are considering what to add.

·
Registered
35 Posts
"LOOKS COOL" & helps keep the rear end on the pavement at high speeds .:2:

·
Registered
818 Posts
MDXecutive said:
I'm looking for honest opinions about the value of this option. We just ordered our MDX (silver, touring, navi) and are considering what to add.
think that the rear deflector looks very good, I just could not justfy the cost of what amounts to no more that a small piece of plastic:confused:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Functionally, it will help keep your rear window cleaner. I agree rvehock that it's a lot of money for a piece of plastic. If you decide to go with it, you'll likely get the best price from Tim at hondacuraworld.com. It's a pretty simple self install.

·
Registered
392 Posts
ghotie said:
Functionally, it will help keep your rear window cleaner. I agree rvehock that it's a lot of money for a piece of plastic. If you decide to go with it, you'll likely get the best price from Tim at hondacuraworld.com. It's a pretty simple self install.
I was thinking of getting one for my SS just to help with keeping the window cleaner, but on other threads I have read that is it not such a sure thing that it reallydoes that at all. So, I'm sitting on the decision for now :confused:. If you do go ahead, I second the motion to go with Tim, you won't do better.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It's really a pretty big piece of plastic, and comes with some screws and stuff. :)

I live up a 1/2 mile dirt road, the deflector actually does blow the dust off at least the upper half of the window.

(and, yea it does look OK, particularly on the SS/tour/nav model... :) )

-check out the Ghost's SS link below, there's some pictures of the TD and install at the end of the thread.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I installed one that I bought from Tim. Very simple install.
As far as functionality is concerned, I can not really see any difference between pre and post installation with respect to the dirt on the back window. I do, however, think that it provides a finished look to the tailgate. I also think it looks good when matched up with the carrier and mudflaps of the same black finish.

Most of all, however, I bought it 'cause my wife told me to!

·
Registered
446 Posts
It works

Like Ghost I have seen what it does after running on the dirt roads. The only dirt road I go on is a slow speed in and out, 3/4 mile total, where the dust just settles on the rear end. After a regular speed run you can actually see a clean area the width of the spoiler on the rear glass. I also believe it helps in the rain. I don't find myself using the rear wiper all that much.

Niles:)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Makes it less "wagon"ish IMHO:D

·
Registered
229 Posts
I liked the way the rear deflector looked in black and I love the way it looks in silver, color matched to the rest of the car/accessories.

I feel the 'X looks incomplete without the accessories ... so I had to have them :D . See my sig below for pictures.

The deflector was installed by the dealer so I can't give any before/after comparisons. If it helps to keep dirt off the back window then that is an added bonus!! :2:

·
Registered
160 Posts
for a piece of plastic with the price range of $297 is not worth it, I rather spend that money on something else like taking my family to a nice dinner, movies, amusement parks etc. just my opinion

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
something VERY IMPORTANT that is left out

Of all the posts for the inquirer of the rear deflector for the MDX. NO one mentioned to him that it not only is it a plastic part but the installation is actually tricky.

You see, you are REQUIRED to drill holes into your MDX, unless you have a good drill and dexterity and knack to drill holes and also do sanding work and such...then dont get the deflector and DO IT YOURSELF.

But seriously though, if you get the painted deflector from Tim at HondaAcura world, they look so elegant and nice on the MDX. I love mine. As to whether it helps aeridynamically to push the rear on the pavement at high speeds..I doubt it... This only applies to sophisticated wind tails or rear wings for sports car. As to whether it keeps the dust off the back window...I tend to agree with that. But much more importantly...it is a cosmetic accessories.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Re: something VERY IMPORTANT that is left out

Fireblade6 said:
Of all the posts for the inquirer of the rear deflector for the MDX. NO one mentioned to him that it not only is it a plastic part but the installation is actually tricky.

You see, you are REQUIRED to drill holes into your MDX, unless you have a good drill and dexterity and knack to drill holes and also do sanding work and such...then dont get the deflector and DO IT YOURSELF.

Sorry to dissagree, but it really is about as simple as it gets. Spots for holes are clearly marked, so long as you use a hole punch before drilling, you cant miss. Then its simply a matter of filing the holes, a little touchup paint, some Zaino and tighten the bolts. Took me less than one hour, and 50 minutes of that was waiting for the touchup paint to fully dry.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It just looks good.

I got it from Tim a few months after I got the X. Researched and debated a lot about its usefulness and worthiness, finally decided to get a color-matched one after the wife saw some pictures here and she likes it - a lot.
The real value of the TG deflector is we like the X a lot more after we installed it, to us that is worth the money.

·
Registered
928 Posts
It looks GREAT...less "wagon-ish"...new MDX appearance with it.
AND....it DOES help in the rain and the snow.
:29:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Maik is right, drilling the holes is a bit unnerving, but not particularly difficult.

Also, I have personal experience that since I have had the TD on, I've never had the rear end leave the pavement. In fact, I think it's faster now.

And don't think of it as $271, in reality it's 0.68% the cost of the car, or roughly 1/10 of what you paid in sales tax.

Did I mention how good it looks? :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
IMHO...I think the rear deflector is more for looks then anything else.

You probably won't get much downforce with it and if you do, you'd probably have to go 150mph to realize the benefits.

If it keeps the rear window cleaner, I'd rather buy a lifetime supply of RainX for $200 to keep the window cleaner.

The main reason to get the rear deflector is if you like the way it looks on the MDX.

Just my $0.02. :25:

·
Registered
671 Posts
I love the way it looks, even black on redrock, but I just can't justify the $300 to add the looks at this point! I would seriously think about it if the three bill included painting to match my X!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Re: Ebay deal for deflector

mdxxxx said:
How about $242 including painting and shipping? I purchased SS colored deflector from a vendor named "trimking1", and I'm happy. I've watched is auctions for some time.

Link - >http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1834362122
Tell us more -- did it get delivered timely, was it packaged well, is it the same as the one Tim sells, did it have the mounting hardware included, what is the paint quality like? And any other questions you can think of! Thanks.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts