Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone ! I just became a new member of this great site.
I got 2003 touring and I'd like to install a chrome side steps. My question is: are installed side steps will protect the doors from dents and scratches caused by other cars or I still have to put side moldings on? I can't find right picture showing how far these side steps stick out.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
671 Posts
I don't believe side steps will protect from dings -- have you done a search to find other threads like this one? You might also look at some of the pics in the gallery section if you haven't already.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Depends on the car

The steps will stop some dings. Cars that sit fairly low to the ground can't get to the doors with the steps on. My middle daughter used to have a Geo Storm and the steps would stop the doors on that car. The body side molding also help a little. They stop the door of my Toyota truck.

Good luck
Niles:)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Here is a pic

From Dmor's MB

Attachments

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
steps are not wide enough. It will not help to protect the dings on the doors.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
The steps are too low to offer any protection from all but the lowest of vehicles.

BSM's IMHO also offer very little protection because of their small size and the shape of the MDX.

The best way to reduce dings is to park very selectively.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Short memories...

My Manik did take the brunt of a parking space support pole. And I also have not a single mark on my X since purchase last May, except for the ding on the hatch I put on myself.

No, they are not a good defense against other car doors, except by intimidation. But drivers of cars parked next to you will not be measuring how far the steps stick out (picture above). But they will be more aware before swinging their door wide open. I have seen them pause as exiting their vehicles.

Yes, there will be other drivers who will be oblivious when exiting their vehicle. Why not? A good number are oblvious to what's around them when driving down the road.
:8:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You all for respond

·
Registered
254 Posts
DaleB's right

I have the stainless Maniks and I put them on last May also. My wife drives the X and she's in parking lots all the time. There is not 1 ding on the X and based on her last couple of vehicles I am shocked. The Maniks really stick out, you have to step over them when you get out. I have no doubt that they have protected the car from dings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
im trying to get a 2003 touring mdx. i was wondering if u guys think i should order the woodshift nob, crome side bars, or any other parts from the dealer or just buy the parts wholesale, or over the internet and install it myself. i was there last night and they said it was 250 for the whell locks(which i saw for $40 on the net) and for the mat or tray that goes in the back. i thought it was pricy and wanted to see what u guys though would be the best idea.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
illmatic323 said:
im trying to get a 2003 touring mdx. i was wondering if u guys think i should order the woodshift nob, crome side bars, or any other parts from the dealer or just buy the parts wholesale, or over the internet and install it myself. i was there last night and they said it was 250 for the whell locks(which i saw for $40 on the net) and for the mat or tray that goes in the back. i thought it was pricy and wanted to see what u guys though would be the best idea.
I replied on your other thread.

Anyway, if you think you could do it by yourself. You should either purchase from Tim @ hondacuraworld or get your dealer match the price with Tim.

Good Luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts