Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
the Internet sales around here are a waste of time. You ask them if the blue one is available and three weeks later they tell you they have a nice white one. Its like the people who can't cut it on the lot get promoted to Internet sales. When I ask a customer service / sales person a question I will not tolerate bull**** coming back at me. Likewise I will treat them with the greatest respect until the bull**** starts and then I let them know the discussion is over. Tit for Tat is the only way to deal with that.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Where is "here"?

My internet dealer brought in a red Base SH-AWD for me, they didn't have one in stock. The only misstep was after we agreed to a price I was called by the sales guy a day or two later, when he told me that his manager told him the price was too low. I patiently explained that I had that trick played on me before and was still angry about it three decades later, and sure as hell wasn't going down that road again - he backed off really fast...

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
the Internet sales around here are a waste of time. You ask them if the blue one is available and three weeks later they tell you they have a nice white one. Its like the people who can't cut it on the lot get promoted to Internet sales. When I ask a customer service / sales person a question I will not tolerate bull**** coming back at me. Likewise I will treat them with the greatest respect until the bull**** starts and then I let them know the discussion is over. Tit for Tat is the only way to deal with that.
I've found the fleet/internet contacts to be more experienced and competent than the average salesperson, who often was recently hired and was pushing Dodges a month ago and Toyotas not long before that. The reason I've gone the route I have is because the floor salespeople usually don't just lack knowledge of their product but they're the ones who pull the most 'Salesman 101' shenanigans - "oh, now you need to talk to my sales manager.", "what can you afford in monthly payments", "what do I need to do to put you in this car today?", etc.

Funny you should mention blue. When I went to buy mine I only wanted a blue one and wouldn't accept any other color. Since my 2014 is an early one there was a limited supply of vehicles and only one blue one in the entire county I live in that has multiple Acura dealerships in it. By using the internet I knew exact which dealer had it. Nevertheless, knowing that dealerships can readily transfer a vehicle between them, I checked the internet price, which included talking with them over the phone, at multiple dealers and ended up with a range from essentially MSRP with them trying to justify it as a hot new vehicle, to quite a good price on it way under MSRP despite it being a hot new vehicle. Luckily, the dealership with the good price also happened to be the only one that actually had the blue one. This dealership was maybe 15 minutes further from my house than the full price dealership. I made the deal with them over the phone, went to the dealership to hand them a check for the already agreed upon price and sign a couple of papers, and left with the new blue 2014 MDX.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Except for top engine clean i did the cabin, engine air filters change myself with filters from Amazon.

Thx to all! I saved like 150 bucks.

Should i tell my Acura service that i replaced filters so they update my records?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Should i tell my Acura service that i replaced filters so they update my records?
I've never done that with any vehicle and I don't know that they'd care about work they didn't do but I suppose you could call and ask.

The important thing if you DIY anything is to keep your own records. I start a written logbook for any car I buy and write down the date, mileage, and action I did. I include details such as 'Acura oil filter' and 'Mobile 1 0W-20 Adv Fuel Economy oil' or 'Acura engine/cabin air filters'. When I rotate the tires I do a little drawing of of the 4 tires and how I rotated them. I sometimes make additional notes such as how much is left on the brake pads, etc. I also note in the log anything a dealer does to the car such as recall work or any service item they do. Ditto when I have tires replaced, etc.

Congrats on doing the filter changes yourself - and on saving a a bunch of money. Hopefully you found it an enjoyable and satisfying thing to do.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Bosch is probably THE worst. I live in Seattle where it rains a lot, and when people come in to buy factory blades because their aftermarket ones wore quickly, 80% of the time they're BOSCH. Rain-X is another fairly common one. Keep your factory blades, it's worth the $10 per insert.
What are others experiences with oem wiper inserts vs aftermarket? If you recommend aftermarket which brand / model (if it matters)?

My factory blades started streaking in spots fairly early on and am curious what options should last the longest/ provide best performance.

Also as others said I assume i should get just the inserts (oem are like $10 at Bernardi) vs the whole blade for $29

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts
What are others experiences with oem wiper inserts vs aftermarket? If you recommend aftermarket which brand / model (if it matters)?

My factory blades started streaking in spots fairly early on and am curious what options should last the longest/ provide best performance.

Also as others said I assume i should get just the inserts (oem are like $10 at Bernardi) vs the whole blade for $29

I recently installed OEM inserts from my nearest Honda dealer and am happy with them. $15 total for both blades. Swapped them out in 5 minutes before I left the parking lot. They were out of the short blade for the passenger side so I bought 2 of the driver's length wipers, then cut the extra length off with a multitool. For blades this inexpensive, I don't mind if I end up needing to replace them every year (though this was my first blade change in the 18 months I've owned my MDX).

On my previous cars I've always replaced the whole blades. I've used Bosch Icons and RainX Quantums which were great quality, but at $25-$35 per blade I can't say they're good value, nor can I claim with confidence they outlasted the OEM blades (my other vehicles were not Honda/Acura). My geographic location means I don't need to deal with ice or snow, so perhaps aftermarket blades may do better in those extreme conditions, but for me I can't tell if one is better than the other so I went the cheaper route.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I recently installed OEM inserts from my nearest Honda dealer and am happy with them. $15 total for both blades. Swapped them out in 5 minutes before I left the parking lot. They were out of the short blade for the passenger side so I bought 2 of the driver's length wipers, then cut the extra length off with a multitool. For blades this inexpensive, I don't mind if I end up needing to replace them every year (though this was my first blade change in the 18 months I've owned my MDX).

On my previous cars I've always replaced the whole blades. I've used Bosch Icons and RainX Quantums which were great quality, but at $25-$35 per blade I can't say they're good value, nor can I claim with confidence they outlasted the OEM blades (my other vehicles were not Honda/Acura). My geographic location means I don't need to deal with ice or snow, so perhaps aftermarket blades may do better in those extreme conditions, but for me I can't tell if one is better than the other so I went the cheaper route.
Thanks, to that point I do have to deal with snow and ice (I'm in MN) so would appreciate feedback regarding whether oem vs aftermarket matters for these conditions

·
Registered
648 Posts
The OEM blades are well-made metal ones while aftermarket are often plastic and also often don't have as many segments and don't fit the windshield as well. I see no reason to waste money on buying whole blades; replacing the inserts is cheap and easy. The inserts are so small that I buy several years ahead and keep them in the car. I also replace the rear wiper at the same time.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I would have written exactly what 'jefferson88' wrote so I'll just say 'ditto' to that post.

For the 2014 MDX (purchased new) I've only replaced with the OEM rubber blade part which is pretty inexpensive. Since they're inexpensive and quick and easy to replace as DIY one can simply do it more frequently if needed - even once per year or more if needed (but I don't replace that frequently but I live where it doesn't rain much and it never snows - San Diego).

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Decided to replace my wiper blades on my 19 MDX after almost 2 1/2 year. The OEM were still in pretty good shape with no issue. Always had good luck with Bosch ICON blades with my 06 TSX, 08 RDX, and 11 MDX.

Bosch Rear H354
Bosch ICON 26A driver's side
Bosch ICON 20A passenger side

Waiting on the passenger side to come in before replacing all. Live in NM and only get 5-9 inches of precipitation all year.

Replaced the air filter with OEM last spring and replaced the cabin air filter with Bosch HEPA cabin filter 6029C.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Part numbers for wiper blades refill are correct regardless of MY.
Engine air filter 17220-5J6-A00, cabin air filter 80292-SDA-407, these are for 2015, slightly different by MY.
Acura calls cabin filter as Element, Dust/Pollen Filter, just marketing gimmick.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I clean my wiper blades with rubbing alcohol every week and they last well past a year.
Alcohol dries out the rubber and thus will shorten their lives. They used to recommend ammonia, but I think that might have been a temporary fix. My MDX is now 4.5 years old and OEM rubber still working extremely well. Because of that, I will stick with OEM when it's time to replace.

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech
79 Posts
Not that I let a dealer touch my car for other than warranty work or timing belts, but for those that change your own filters and have other service done by the dealer, write your last name and the odometer reading and date changed on the filter. That way when the dealer shows you a dirty one from another car (one they keep at the service advisor’s desk), you’ll know it isn’t from your car.

A buddy of mine caught a dishonest dealer this way. Apparently it was just a “misunderstanding”. Yeah, them thinking he was stupid.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you change your own filters why would the dealer be showing you a filter in the first place?

I assume in your example the dealer told the customer they changed the filter only to lie and charge them for a filter change they never actually did? Not sure I'm following but I think I get where you were coming from

21 - 36 of 36 Posts