Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year i swapped the old battery to new one with ease....

Today during b1 service, Acura tech said
I need wipers, air filter changed.

1) where to get the best wipers what brand?
I think it's easy DIY replacement?

2) where to get air filter.... can I replace that with ease?

3) i only have 1 key fob.... dealer says replacement remote key costs $300.
Is it easy to get a cheaper option?

Like this
https://www.fobkeyless.com/brand-new-2014-2015-acura-mdx-smart-key-4b-hatch-a2c32523300-with-emergency-key.html

Pls advice thx... kris

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
1. I just purchased new wiper inserts from Acura for a very low cost - I think < $10. It's very easy to replace.

2. I purchased a new cabin filter from Acura. It also is not costly. This is very easy to replace - it goes in via the glove box.

You can buy these from an online Acura vendor that advertises on this site and receive a reasonable discount or buy it from the parts counter at your local Acura dealer but if you do it that way watch the price because they may very well try to gouge you on it - at least make sure you know what the online prices are so you can try to negotiate with them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I buy filters(oil, engine air and cabin air filters) from rockauto.com whenewver I order other maintenance items (ie; spark plugs or brake pads) to save shipping cost. Acura doesn't make those items, these aftermarket parts are just as good only cheaper. Replacing them are easy, instructions are available in YouTube for most.

3) never tried the replacement key fob, please share your experience with the replacement fob.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ebay for the key fob. Any dealer can program it.
Wipers? Bosch seem to be the best. You can get them at most any auto parts store. Filters? Anything but Fram.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Stick with the Honda Factory Wipers. Everything aftermarket sucks and will streak, skip or squeal within months. You can easily get a year out of factory wiper inserts, and they're $10 ea.

Air Filter / Cabin Filters are super easy, and aftermarket ones work just fine. I prefer the charcoal activated Cabin Filters

The key fob you linked is $170 and you will have to take it to the dealer and spend probably 1/2hr to 1hr labor (depending on dealer) to have it programmed and risk paying the programming fee and not having the fob work, or be compatible and then pay the fee again once you get a new/different one. I highly suggest you don't mess with internet keys. We have customers bring in online keys all the time and half the time they will not program, and you're on the hook for the technicians time. $300 is not a bad deal if it includes the programming.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ebay for the key fob. Any dealer can program it.
Wipers? Bosch seem to be the best. You can get them at most any auto parts store. Filters? Anything but Fram.
Bosch is probably THE worst. I live in Seattle where it rains a lot, and when people come in to buy factory blades because their aftermarket ones wore quickly, 80% of the time they're BOSCH. Rain-X is another fairly common one. Keep your factory blades, it's worth the $10 per insert.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't agree with OEM wiper inserts, but $300 for replacement key fob is pretty good price if programming is included. Check what others charge for replacement key fobs.

I've never had bad experience with aftermarket wiper inserts or Bosch wipers, just don't buy the cheapest Bosch.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Buying the Acura wiper inserts works well for me; I order them from OEMAcuraParts.com, a sponsor of this forum. I buy a few sets at a time and replace every year. Aftermarket blades can be hit-or-miss as far as conforming to the glass curvature.

The engine air filter is plain-Jane; I buy Ecogard XA 10486 but any popular brand is likely to be good enough as will the OEM part.

The cabin air filter that came with the MDX is reputed to have charcoal in it (I never saw it). This makes sense for removing the organic smells in a new car. Acura Parts just have a standard paper filter. I have been buying the FRAM CF 10134 "Freshbreeze" filters which have charcoal and baking soda to remove smells. Whether these are having any significant effect I can't say; most of my driving is in the mountains, not smelly urban areas.

The filters needed for the MDX are available off-the-shelf at Walmart.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Bosch is probably THE worst. I live in Seattle where it rains a lot, and when people come in to buy factory blades because their aftermarket ones wore quickly, 80% of the time they're BOSCH. Rain-X is another fairly common one. Keep your factory blades, it's worth the $10 per insert.

Thats funny because here in the Willamette valley where is also rains 10 months a year I can get 2 years out of Bosch blades. Heck, my 6 month old factory blades are starting to streak already. Biggest thing I think is getting fresh blades. As with any rubber product they can get hard with age.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx all.

Here I've attached the papers.

Is pollen filter same as cabin filter?

Also, they suggested these services but i said I'll do later:

Brake Fluid flush
Top engine clean

( my guess is that the top two are difficult to do it in the garage, right?)

I'll do both filter replacement myself buying from wm or AMZN.

Thanks

·
Registered
445 Posts
The cabin air filter is supposed to filter out pollen so passengers don't suffer allergies as badly as without. Referring to it as a pollen filter is just marketing BS.

$129.99 for filter replacement??? That takes cajones. From one of our sponsors: https://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-parts/acura-element-filter-80292sda407?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsLWV4aGF1c3QtaGVhdGVyLWZ1ZWwmcz1oZWF0ZXItYmxvd2VyJmw9MyZuPVNlYXJjaCBSZXN1bHRzJmE9YWN1cmEmbz1tZHgtNS1kb29yJnk9MjAxNiZ0PWJhc2Utc2gtYXdkJmU9OS1zcGVlZC1hdXRvbWF0aWM=
So less than $22 MSRP, a bit more than $15 discount, for OEM part. Plus 5 minutes of your time, if that. The engine air filter prices are $28/$19. Even paying full price it should be about $50 for both. Nice business they have there...

Paying $100 to have some low-paid helper wash off the top of the engine is also pretty brazen. Open the hood, remove the plastic cover (snaps off), spray everything with Simple Green, let sit for a few minutes and hose off with nozzle. Same with plastic cover before re-assembly.

The key fob and brake flush are in the right ballpark for a dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You don't need to buy OEM air filters. It is just an air filter and can cost you under $10.

129 bucks are way too much of 5 minutes jobs but this is how dealers make money from unaware customers. Consider what @Sparky1016 suggest.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I clean my wiper blades with rubbing alcohol every week and they last well past a year.
If you want to prolong the life of your wiper blades, try using Aerospace 303 Protectant from Wally Mart, Amazon or your favorite automotive store. This protects anything rubber or rubber like. I personally won't userubbing alcohol.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I don't even know what they mean by 'top engine clean'. Sometimes that means running a can of some 'top end' engine cleaner in the system. Any additives like that should be avoided since some can actually hurt your engine and they're 'not' part of the manufacturer's recommendations for service. This is likely just a ploy by your dealer to soak you for more money (pun intended).

The engine and cabin filters are very easy to replace yourself. The filters certainly cost more than $10 but they don't cost a lot. Most the the cost they quoted you for it is labor with most of that being straight profit since it would take them less than 5 minutes to do the replacement. Since you don't know which particular brands to get just stick with OEM but buy it through an online Acura dealer to get a decent discount but you can go aftermarket if you want. The 'cabin filter' filters the air in the cabin which means filtering pollen, dust, small bugs, and any other airborne particles you'd otherwise end up breathing.

The brake fluid should be flushed every now and then. I did it myself for the MDX but if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself then have the dealer or a qualified mechanic do it. It's something that should be done and is a legitimate manufacturer recommended service item.

·
Registered
445 Posts
MDXstang: I hadn't thought about top cleaning meaning using an additive but you are probably right. It seems odd to pay an Acura dealer to use an additive that Acura specifically doesn't want used, but greed knows no bounds. I really wish the auto manufacturers would find a little courage and dump the dealerships and go direct like Tesla has done. I think most customers are like me in that they like having a new car but hate the dealership experience, both when buying and for service. To be fair there are those that are happy but I suspect they are the ones that don't mind paying top dollar. A fixed price direct from the manufacturer with manufacturer service centers would be a huge improvement. Not happening anytime soon...

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I think most customers are like me in that they like having a new car but hate the dealership experience, both when buying and for service.
I fall into that category. This is why I don't buy 'at' a dealership, rather I make the entire search and purchase via the internet and/or phone (and at a better deal than if I was dealing with the floor salesperson), and I do as much of the maintenance myself as I consider reasonable and am willing to do - which for the MDX is filter and fluid changes and tire rotations so far and brakes one of these days whenever I decide to replace the originals (that have around 60K on them). The cost savings is a plus but even if the dealer offered free labor to do the oil changes I'd do it myself because it's more convenient to do it myself and I know that it's done correctly when I do it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I let my dealer do the work for most things. I've known the head of the service dept for 30 years. When it comes to buying a car, I usually buy CPO. Know what you want, and what you are willing to pay for what you want. Don't let anyone sell you on less than it. That is all that matters. Internet sellers can be anything from legit to bogus.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Internet sellers can be anything from legit to bogus.
When I stated buying via the internet I meant the internet sales department of an actual dealership. It's the modern day equivalent of the 'fleet sales department'. I've purchased vehicles from a variety of manufacturers this way (even using the fleet sales team via the phone a long time ago) and it works very well. The departments are legit but some give real deals and others not but the method makes it simple since I can check with multiple dealers remotely, quickly, and conveniently. I check the inventory first online via the dealership's site and have found it reasonably reliable albeit not always 100% accurate. I managed to get deals that were better than prices via Costco, AAA, Credit Union, and the like. I concluded the deals via a combo of email and the phone and only went to the dealerships to pick up the car with no further negotiations needed other than sometimes saying 'no' to their add-ons (alarms, coatings, etc.) but I have no problem saying 'no'. In several cases the first time I ever went to the dealership was to pick up the vehicle and I never returned to that dealership and rather, had service done at a dealership closer to home. The above method has worked out well when buying a new vehicle where one can compare apples/apples. It wouldn't work so well for a used vehicle where one needs to see the specific vehicle to know what to offer for it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I bought my MDX over the internet as well. That is, I contacted them first with an email and later a bit by phone (at their request - they wanted to know I was real/serious) but always with an email trail. It worked great, and very little effort. Once agreed I took a train north to pick up the car; everything was ready and things went as smoothly as they can. And the price was lower than Costco, etc. They even handled all of the Oregon paperwork.

The problem is that Acura dealers are scarce, which allows them to hold prices up where there is little competition. There are just two in Portland, both willing to do Costco but no lower. The one in Salem was not in Costco and was not interested in negotiating any discount - he is enjoying his local monopoly. Fortunately Seattle is a bit more competitive. It does seem that contacting them from out-of-town is helpful - they are less concerned about lowering price expectations locally. I suspect that someone in Seattle might be able to get a good deal here for the same reason.

When my brother bought his Pilot he was living in Bend, OR, and asked his local dealer for a quote, which turned out to be about MSRP with packs added. He contacted a California dealer who offered to deliver a Pilot to his house for thousands less. He went back to the local guys and offered to meet them in the middle - certainly a profitable deal for them, and more than fair - and they declined. Bend is a small place and word would get out that it was possible to leverage a discount; the dealer chose to lose the business rather than risk others demanding a discount. So a truck showed up with his car... At one level this is just a seller using his market advantage to negotiate higher prices. At another level it is ripping off those who don't know or are unwilling to work for a good deal. Your choice

As for parts, buying from Acura dealers online is about as safe as it gets. I generally use our sponsor oemacuraparts.com (Acura of Peoria) but there are others online that are competitive. The parts are genuine, and in original packaging. I buy a fair amount of things online, from Amazon, eBay, AliExpress (retail arm of AliBaba) and many others and rarely am disappointed. There are things I know to be cautious about, such as batteries (past sell-by-date and counterfeits abound). These days Amazon and eBay often are no lower than the local Walmart; researching and shopping around on the internet are more necessary than ever before.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts