Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyne know why the 0-60 mph times are different for the Touring with or without navagation versus the Base with or without navagation.
Base is 0-60 mph 8.1 seconds
Touring 0-60 mph 7.9 seconds

I would of thought that the touring is heavier and would actually be slower. Anyone have the answer or possible reasons?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Are those the factory specs?. The Motorweek test was 7.6 seconds. Don't recall if it was a base or touring. I don't think the slight additional weight of the touring is significant unless you could control all the other possible factors like fuels, air density, mileage on test car, etc. I don't know why the factory would bother to show different times, unless they are being very accurate and those were obtained on random vehicles.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I received those spec's from edmunds website, wonder if there is a difference in the gears in transmission or differential?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
No differences in gearing.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
1,866 Posts
maybe tires and wheels?

Michelin vs Goodyear???

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I can't imagine that any two so-called "identical" cars would have exactly equal 0-60 (or quarter-mile) times. Air temperature and density variations between tests, or fuel variations, or normal manufacturing tolerances, or traction differences between the tires and road surfaces, etc., etc., all can have an effect. I have never "dragged" with another X, but I did try it with a Viper -- I got ahead initially by about 1/2 car-length; by the time I had traveled the next 1/2, he had passed me; and by the time I hit 60, I could just barely see him. Oh, well...:8:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I am sure he was 'saving' his clutch off the line and didn't want you to choke in the cloud of burning rubber.
But hey, the beauty is you got a free show and he took the risk of the ticket, and will pay for the gas he burned on that run! He probably had the bigger smile at the end, or maybe that was just the G forces distorting his face
:2:

.2 seconds is nothin' .. and can be explained by the few factors you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I doubt that the Touring is faster than the Base, you might even argue that the Base should be faster given slightly less weight. Although tires could make some difference, these tires are the same size and similar tread pattern I believe. Michelins may have an advantage in wet weather but I haven't heard anything about better dry traction - it might be interesting to see comparative braking distances. I doubt if tires are the primary reason, I would guess different conditions, drivers, etc, maybe even tire inflation levels. Note that MDX times in 0-60 have ranged from 7.5 to 9.1 with 8.0 or 8.1 generally being the norm.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
unless one tire has a different 'rolling diameter' than the other model...

even the same 'labeled size' can have differnet effective diameters based on sidewall design/tire patch, etc.

not saying it is different- just dont know

1 - 12 of 12 Posts