Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Presently I have a tailgate deflector that was installed by dealer.
Did you have to drill holes in the hatch or were they already there? Was there a mark on where to drill? Is there two sided tape holding the tailgate in addition to the four bolts?

I'm considering a full window decal of the American flag, and debating whether or not to remove the tailgate when applying the decal. I'm not sure if I want to go all the way up top and block the third brake light, or start at the bottom of tailgate and go all the way down.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Paul,

Yes, the tailgate was drilled to install the rear air deflector. If you lift the tailgate up, you will see 2 nuts on each side. If you want to take the deflector off, you just need to unscrew the 4 nuts.

Yes, there was a mark to drill the holes. There was no double stick tape, instead there are 4 double stick foam washers. The foam washers are meant to protect the paint surface from the bottom of the air deflector.

IMO, I would rather place a small american flag on the corner of the rear window.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mdxrocks said:
Paul,

Yes, the tailgate was drilled to install the rear air deflector. If you lift the tailgate up, you will see 2 nuts on each side. If you want to take the deflector off, you just need to unscrew the 4 nuts.

Yes, there was a mark to drill the holes. There was no double stick tape, instead there are 4 double stick foam washers. The foam washers are meant to protect the paint surface from the bottom of the air deflector.

IMO, I would rather place a small american flag on the corner of the rear window.
The foam to protect the paint, is it two sided tape that will tear if removed. The decal I debating on using covers the entire rear window, but you can see out but not in.
I guess I would have to replace the foam washers if they are doubled sticked type take.
Here's a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Paul,

I believe the foam washer is sticky on one side only. If you had to replace the washer, you probably can go to a hardware store and buy something similar. The only thing is you need to poke a hole in the middle so the bolt can go through.

By the way, the decal looks awesome! :18:

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliment

I think I'm going to put it on, It's only a decal and can be removed with a razor blade. I happen to like this decal over other flags I've seen on the road. I also like the Bald Eagle alot in combination with the flag.:2: :5: :22:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts