Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Question on Recommended/Needed Maintenance for a 2007 with 225k miles

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  carpayment4life 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 MDX that I purchased in 2011 used from a traveling salesman with 120k miles. He said he did not know if it ever had timing belt replaced so I assume it has not. I have driven the vehicle for 5 more years and the only maintenance I have done is oil changes, air filter, cabin air filter, brake pads, spark plugs, and a wheel bearing.

This has been a great vehicle. The interior is still in excellent condition and the engine still runs great and doesn't use a drop of oil. I thought about trading it in this year on a new vehicle, but it is worth so little at this point for being in such good condition I am thinking about putting a little preventative maintenance money in it and trying to get a few more years out of it. My son turns 16 in 2 years so it could be a nice first car for him if still reliable.

Now, if the car is only worth $4k or less then I really don't want to put more than $1k in it. The tires are wearing on the inside edge and just started getting a little vibration in steering wheel at 75 mph. Therefore, I am definitely getting an alignment and rotate/balance the tires this week. The check emission light is also on (upstream catalystic converter issue) so I am having the spacer/defouler($10) fix installed to get rid of the light.

What else should I do at this point. I'm sure all of the following are due, should I have it all done?

Timing belt
Water pump
Transmission fluid change
Brake fluid change
Differential fluid change
Power steering fluid change

Honestly, I almost hate to change any fluids when the vehicle is having absolutely no issues with those systems.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Side note: we also have a new 2017 MDX so we have a reliable vehicle for long family trips and such. This 2007 is just my daily driver to work and such

See less See more
#2 ·
Well if the timing belt breaks, the car will be worth scrap. Even if it was changed at 100k miles, it's for sure due again and the water pump along with it. I'd probably try to find a good independent that works cheap or even consider doing it yourself if you have moderate mechanical abilities. It's probably $700 or so for an independent. You can get all the OEM parts (belts, water pump, tensioners, seals, etc) for under $400.

Certainly wouldn't hurt to do the fluids and the cost can be quite minimal if you DIY, just be sure to use proper fluids. But even if any of those components failed soon due to lack of maintenance, (maybe with the exception of the transmission) it would probably still be worth fixing. At this point I doubt a fluid change is going to significantly extend the life of any of them.

#3 ·
I think I am going change transmission fluid myself, Get the alignment and check emission defouler by local shop, then get a couple quotes for the timing belt/water pump service. The issue for me is I don't know of any local independent mechanics that work on Acura. I live in WV and options are limited.

#4 ·
The issue for me is I don't know of any local independent mechanics that work on Acura. I live in WV and options are limited.
I'm in OH and spend a lot of time in WV for business. IIRC, there's only one Acura dealer in the state (Charleston). So yeah, they're not that common but anyone that works on Hondas will have no issues. Most of the OEM parts cross between the brands and it's just minor things (tuning, exhaust, etc) that differentiate them anyway. There's really nothing special about the timing belt swap on these...as long as someone has experience changing timing belts it will be simple.

#5 ·
Have your son use his Facebook account, to inquire around for an Acura/Honda mechanic.
Buy the Aisin TB kit (I'm sure someone on here has the exact item name), for under $300.
You're most likely using your original seals and they need to be replaced this time.
Pay the mechanic $300.
If the mechanic can not get the crank pulley bolt off, he hasn't done enough TB jobs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.