Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get new wheels and I see on craigslist this guys selling 20 inch rims with tires. It says 245/35/20s all around. I think the offset for my 05 mdx is 45. Would these be bad for my car?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The tire size is fine (as far as having the same overall diameter) so you don't have to worry about ride height or speedometer error.

They're going to ride like bricks, but if you are willing to give up comfort for style, it might be worth it.

There's no telling what the offset on the rims is though - you'll have to work that out to figure out if the wheels will fit in your wheelwells properly. If the seller doesn't know the offset, you'll have to look it up by model number somehow. Or just test-mount one of 'em to see how it looks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do any of you guys know the best combo for 18",19" and 20"? Wheels and tires? I'm trying to find a wheels and tire combo on craigslist.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Do any of you guys know the best combo for 18",19" and 20"? Wheels and tires? I'm trying to find a wheels and tire combo on craigslist.
I think it all depends on your preference. For me, I prefer a concave wheel (not flat) to give some depth to the wheel. So for our 1st-gen (2006), we went with 19"x 8.5" wheel with a 35mm offset (on a 255/50/19 tire). As you may know, the lower the offset, the more concavity.

For our 3rd gen (2016), we went 20" x 10" with a 40mm offset. With a 10" wheel, 40mm gives a nice concave look as well.

I personally think 19" is the best "look" for the 1st gen and 20" is best for 2nd and 3rd gens. :twocents:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
You can work out the actual tire diameter, and use that to compare to your current tires... it just takes a little math (I always put it in an Excel spreadsheet to make it easier/quicker).

On my tires - 255/55/18

The 255 is the width in mm - divide by 25.4 to get inches (pretty much exactly 10" in my case)
The 55 is the height of the sidewall, relative to the width, in percentage (in my case, 55% of 10", or 5.5")
The 18 is the height of the rim in inches.

So to get the total height of my (easy to calculate) tires, the sidewall is 10" (the width) x 0.55 to get the sidewall height. So it's 5.5"+5.5" (since there are two sidewalls) +18", which comes out to 29".

You can divide by two to figure out the difference in ride height (or, radius of the tire).

If I was considering a set of 245/70/17 tires, the math would look like:
245/25.4 = 9.65"
9.65" x 0.70 = 6.75
So the diameter of the tire is 6.75" + 6.75" + 17", or 30.5". Since my current tires have a diameter of 29", that would mean that my speedometer and odometer would be off 5% (30.5 / 29). The ride height would be changed by 3/4" (half of the difference between the diameter of the two tires).

Just do the math on your tires, and compare the outcome to any that you're looking at. There are a boatload of combinations that will work (though not all make sense, really). You really need to do a little math to work out which craigslist options will work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey habbyguy,

I am in need of new tires and have been on the fence about going to 18" rims and determining whether I want to go with the 245/60 or the 255/55. Have you noticed a major difference in the handling and ride?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Indy, I bought the car with the wheels/tires already on it. The tires that were on it were hard as rocks though, and had a noisy tread pattern. I replaced them with some new Nittos, and the ride quality was dramatically improved, but I'd say there's no way it's as good as it would be with 17" tires. It's inescapable that the shorter the sidewall, the harsher the ride. Whether it's worth it or not depends on the relative value you assign to style and comfort. I'm also sure that my 18" tires do handle better than 17" tires (all other things being equal, of course), though it's still just an SUV, and is never going to be a good choice for track day. ;-) To me, I think the 18" tires are a good compromise between handling, comfort and style, but YMMV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts