Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a question about the trip computer. Press the info button then select trip computer. It displays real time mpg as well as "current trip" and "previous trip". These numbers don't align with the values currently displayed for Trip A mpg or my previous Trip A mpg. Are these values since the last time you turned the vehicle off? Meaning current trip resets when you start the vehicle and calculates until you turn the car off then this goes to the previous trip and current trip resets next time you turn the car on? That's what it seems to be doing, but the term "current trip" sounds like since you last reset Trip A not since you last turned the car on.

Note im referring to the first page, if you select the History Trip A tab this shows mpg between refills and reset of Trip A, which is different.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mine actually says “Current Drive”. And the the “History of Trip A”, which also includes the 3 previous Trip A’s before Trip A was reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
So I had a question about the trip computer. Press the info button then select trip computer. It displays real time mpg as well as "current trip" and "previous trip". These numbers don't align with the values currently displayed for Trip A mpg or my previous Trip A mpg. Are these values since the last time you turned the vehicle off? Meaning current trip resets when you start the vehicle and calculates until you turn the car off then this goes to the previous trip and current trip resets next time you turn the car on? That's what it seems to be doing, but the term "current trip" sounds like since you last reset Trip A not since you last turned the car on.

Note im referring to the first page, if you select the History Trip A tab this shows mpg between refills and reset of Trip A, which is different.

Trip a and trip b can be set to do different things. On most cars trip a resets every time you start the car. That car may be set differently . Set it in settings.
On my car,A resets at startup. B resets every time I put gas in.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the tab "Current Trip" and stats I'm referring to, "Current" and "Previous" in the Average Fuel section. These definitely ARE NOT related to fuel economy for Trip A vs Trip B. Those are on the 2nd tab at top called "History of Trip A".

The "Current" appears to reset each time you start the car, so in that sense it is for an individual trip. You'll note this value DOES NOT match the average fuel economy for Trip A or B in the MID.

I don't see anything in owners manual that states how these values are calculated so was curious if anyone else noticed this and if you knew for sure if these are just calculated for each cycle of car on and off?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the the "History of Trip A" tab, and the "Current" at the top matches Trip A Fuel Economy from the MID, and history below is for Trip A since Trip A was reset each time (which I have set to reset after refueling)

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Can’t you just turn the car off,then back on to see how trip a and trip b reset? Wouldn’t that answer your question? There are really only 3 options. Refuel,ignition off or manual.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can’t you just turn the car off,then back on to see how trip a and trip b reset? Wouldn’t that answer your question? There are really only 3 options. Refuel,ignition off or manual.

Ur completely missing the point. This has absolutely nothing to do with how or when Trip A or Trip B get reset. I already know that. My point is on your car select Trip A and look at what the fuel economy in the MID says for current Trip A. Now go to Trip Computer and look at "Current" on the "Current Drive" tab. The values DO NOT MATCH. In addition, each time you start your car, you'll see that it appears on the "Current Drive" tab of Trip Computer the "Current" value resets. Your Trip A mileage on the MID DOES NOT reset when you start the ignition.

I was confused because looking at the Trip Computer, "Current Drive" tab, initially I thought "Current" would represent my current Trip A mileage, and "Previous" would be my previous Trip A mileage before it was reset. However I noticed that "Current" NEVER matches what shows for Trip A in the MID.

I surmised based on the fact that it appears this value resets each time I start my car, that this "Current Drive" tab that current drive equates to the period since you last turned the vehicle off. Meaning once you start the ignition, this starts tracking mileage under "Current" until you turn the ignition off, then this goes to "Previous" and next time you start the ignition "Current" resets again. Again this HAS NOTHING to do with Trip A resetting because when you look in the MID it keeps tracking until it hits the criteria you set in settings for when this resets.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Ok,so the mid A shows mpg since you last filled up. The history current trip shows since you last turned your car on. Of course they don’t match. I don’t understand your point. In your case history current trip does not match trip A in MID.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Here is the the "History of Trip A" tab, and the "Current" at the top matches Trip A Fuel Economy from the MID, and history below is for Trip A since Trip A was reset each time (which I have set to reset after refueling)

They probably match because you just put gas in your car.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok,so the mid A shows mpg since you last filled up. The history current trip shows since you last turned your car on. Of course they don’t match. I don’t understand your point. In your case history current trip does not match trip A in MID.
I was asking exactly what the "Current" and "Previous" values on the "Current Drive" tab represent. The owners manual says nothing. I assume it's as I describe in my previous posts but can't confirm definitively, hence me asking here if anyone else had noticed this and could answer my question.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I was asking exactly what the "Current" and "Previous" values on the "Current Drive" tab represent. The owners manual says nothing. I assume it's as I describe in my previous posts but can't confirm definitively, hence me asking here if anyone else had noticed this and could answer my question.

I’m trying not to be smart here. But I figure Acura didn’t think they needed to define current and previous. It’s never been an issue for me because I have A reset every start.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In your post 5,you said they do match.
Then that was a typo on my phone as they do not match. I have my Trip A to reset when I refuel. If you reset Trip A at each start then you won't notice any divergence between Trip A and Current Trip info, so the question doesn't apply to you.

I only asked because I checked the Current Trip several times and was always confused because it never matched my Trip A mileage and didn't know what was going on. Only the other day did I keep this display up for awhile (most of the time I use Android auto) and noticed that it appears to reset each start, so it seems like I figured out what it's doing but no documentation anywhere to confirm whether my assumption is correct or not

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Wouldn’t the fact that you have personally confirmed it be enough? Everything does not have to be in writing.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wouldn’t the fact that you have personally confirmed it be enough? Everything does not have to be in writing.
For cripes sake, I stated what I suspected it was doing after looking at it very briefly, I haven't taken a note pad to write down the mileage at start and stop for several trips to actually confirm this.

I don't understand why ur so hell bent on trying to be disruptive when all I did was post asking a simple question if anyone else noticed this as well and had any additional info to share.

You haven't noticed this and don't have any info to share in regards to my question (which is perfectly fine) so why continue? Let someone else answer if they have any info to share

·
Registered
245 Posts
I understand what you are asking.

I have wondered myself exactly how the info in the Trip Computer of the info screens is calculated, but have never really been curious enough to investigate further. You’ve peaked my interest now though.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Trip a and trip b can be set to do different things. On most cars trip a resets every time you start the car. That car may be set differently . Set it in settings.

On my car,A resets at startup. B resets every time I put gas in.
I'll disagree with the statement that on most cars trips reset automatically on start up. I've never owned a vehicle that does this or has a setting to enable it and I've been driving for 24 years. I've owned a Cadillac, a jeep, 2 audis and 2 infinitis (currently own a 2010 fx35 in addition to the 19 MDX) and the acura is the first vehicle to have that setting available. Perhaps it's common in acura or Honda or Toyota but I've never owned one of these brands before so I don't know

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I understand what you are asking.

I have wondered myself exactly how the info in the Trip Computer of the info screens is calculated, but have never really been curious enough to investigate further. You’ve peaked my interest now though.

Exactly my experience, it never made sense but I never was curious enough to investigate further. This weekend I happened to have it open when I restarted (a first) and noticed that it might be resetting when you turn on the ignition, but that was just a quick observation nothing I've spent time to confirm. I figured I'd ask here for a possible answer before spending any time investigating, but now I'll be playing around with it to see if I can make sense of it

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I'll disagree with the statement that on most cars trips reset automatically on start up. I've never owned a vehicle that does this or has a setting to enable it and I've been driving for 24 years. I've owned a Cadillac, a jeep, 2 audis and 2 infinitis (currently own a 2010 fx35 in addition to the 19 MDX) and the acura is the first vehicle to have that setting available. Perhaps it's common in acura or Honda or Toyota but I've never owned one of these brands before so I don't know

I personally like it like that. That’s why it’s set like that. On my other car,a Bmw the trip info resets every day. Or if it sits for 4 hours. There is also a trip meter on the dash. I reset that when I fill it. I don’t have a math degree. I don’t really care what algorithms are used to calculate mpg on the car. All I care about is how close it is to my calculations after a fill up. The Acura always shows more than my miles/gallons.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts