Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shopping for a cargo carrier for our annual excursion to Gulf Shores, but have been told the carrier I want won't work on the X. I wanted to get the Kanga Hurricane, which is a soft carrier made of 28 oz. double-vinyl-coated polyester material. In talking with them, they told me that the carrier had to sit flush against the roof, and that the X's rack is not wide enough for the carrier to sit flat.

I measured the distance between my rack's, and sure enough they are only 24" apart, only half of the 48" I need. He said that if it did not sit flush, I would have major problems with air flow underneath the carrier. He said this is not a problem for the hard moulded carriers.

Is it possible to move the racks, or are they is where they is?

If it is not possible to move the racks, then I will have to go to Plan B, which is a moulded carrier. Any suggestions out there? I would prefer not to spend more than around $300. I've seen some for as much as $900, and though they are very nice, I am not willing to part with that kind of dough for a carrier. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Do a search of this site. Some documented how they moved their factory rack.

rflagg

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I can't imagine placing anything directly on the paint- even on the roof...

You may want to look at the basket carriers that Thule and Yakima make. These are not TOO expensive, and would mount directly on the factory rack with the "VWADAPT" kit from Thule. Then the soft thing can ride in there!

REI is having a spring sale through APril 14. The Thule Evolution 1600 is on sale for $318.99, item 675-591(It'll look a lot better than the 'blob'...) 16 cu ft, black and silver..

http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/rei/searchc.pl?query=box&min=0&pix=1&pix=0&brand=Thule&max=0&x=33&y=11

Geeze, the cheapest one is $187...can't go wrong
http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4969465&prmenbr=8000&cgrfnbr=10445860

Keep in mind that the MDX is a mystery to some dealers, and they may claim it won't work (because it isn't in there 'fitment guide') Just go there with the car and make it work.

Do asearch here- lots of info. Best fit will be with the 'VWADAPT' bolts that fit into the factory rack and bolt straight up into the box (or basket)

Good luck

Ard

PS My bet? You'll be the owner of a box soon...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts