Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new mdx 2017 yesterday. While just now, a scary thought came to my mind:
What if someone (like driver or front seat passenger) accidentally hit the gear selector button while car is in motion? like hit P, R or N? N probably OK, what about P, R? not like traditional shift lever which has a mechanic lock.

I searched the manual, and found in Page 379, it shows:

Restriction on selecting a gear position
You cannot select a gear position under certain circumstances that may lead to unexpected crashes or damage.

So, the statement seems to be unclear. Does that mean:

1. you just never try to (accidentally) hit it otherwise causing damage.
2. you still can accidentally hit it, but the system already disables it which will not respond to your action.

If the answer is 1, then super scary:frown2:
If the answer is 2, wow, good safety design:smile2:

Anybody has some idea about this, or even had some tests?

Another big question is, is this Electronic Gear Selector waterproof? cause it is right next to the cup holder. Spill can possibly happen if you put drink there. Electronics is very fragile to water spill. A big design defect, I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
What if someone (like driver or front seat passenger) accidentally hit the gear selector button while car is in motion? like hit P, R or N? N probably OK, what about P, R? not like traditional shift lever which has a mechanic lock.

You cannot select a gear position under certain circumstances that may lead to unexpected crashes or damage.

2. you still can accidentally hit it, but the system already disables it which will not respond to your action.

Another big question is, is this Electronic Gear Selector waterproof? cause it is right next to the cup holder. Spill can possibly happen if you put drink there. Electronics is very fragile to water spill. A big design defect, I think.
NOTICE
Spilled liquids damage the upholstery, carpeting, and
electrical components in the interior.
Be careful when you are using the beverage holders.
Hot liquid can scald you

To prevent malfunction and unintended
engagement:
• Do not spill any liquids on or around shift buttons.
• Do not place or drop any objects on or around shift
buttons.
• Do not let passengers or children operate the shift
buttons.

·
Registered
143 Posts
While I've never actually tried it, I take that statement to mean that the selector won't let you shift to a gear that will damage the transmission meaning Park or Reverse when moving forward.

·
Registered
870 Posts
This is correct. In my 2016 Pilot Touring with the ZF 9-Hp and the ( censored for PG rating ) pushbuttons, the dash will flash a warning, sirens will sound, and the thing will shift into neutral if you try to shift into reverse above some threshold forward speed. That threshold is relatively low.

I have tested it because mine randomly fails to respond to shift "requests" from reverse to forward, or vice versa.

Dunno how water resistant the push buttons are, but mine have consumed lots of Diet Coke, and they work no worse or better than they did new. I haven't tested coffee ( yet ) or sugar containing drinks, so YMMV.

It will simply refuse to shift into forward gears that would over-rev the engine, and stay in a higher gear.

I haven't tested an attempted shift into Park while at speed, but I suspect it would behave as for reverse.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

The big design defect is you can't put the transmission into neutral unless the engine is running. Good luck trying to get this onto a flat bed. Hopefully the flat bed has dollies.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The big design defect is you can't put the transmission into neutral unless the engine is running. Good luck trying to get this onto a flat bed. Hopefully the flat bed has dollies.
I read in another forum that there is a small shaft on the transmission under the vehicle that will put it in neutral. It needs to be turned counter clockwise about 15 degrees until it stops. Here is a short YouTube video to show the bolt. I haven't been underneath mine to confirm. It seems there is a way.....an inconvenient way...but a way.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I read in another forum that there is a small shaft on the transmission under the vehicle that will put it in neutral. It needs to be turned counter clockwise about 15 degrees until it stops. Here is a short YouTube video to show the bolt. I haven't been underneath mine to confirm. It seems there is a way.....an inconvenient way...but a way.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NL1qLKNLlm4&feature=youtu.be
The guy you quoted made that video lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where is this tricky thing located?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NL1qLKNLlm4&feature=youtu.be
This is true! I posted that video by the way. I am going to buy a wrench to keep in the car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Open the hood and look down. It is on the top of the transmission.
Good job! how do you find this trick? I don't think it is mentioned in the manual.
From the video you posted, it seems that you did test turning it and proved it works, right? but where did you apply the wrench? looks like it turned clockwise by magic.:smile2:
Also I read somewhere else that this need to be turned and held which means if you let go it will turn back?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Yes you have to turn and hold it in place to keep it in neutral. That person holding it in place will need to ghost ride the car while others push the vehicle. It's not in the manual. SuperTech told us. (He's a master tech who used to frequent here but no longer, hope Honda didn't track him down)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
I hate those darn things. Wait until someone spills some coffee or a coke in one and then see how much it cost to fix it. What a pain it is to put it in Natural for the car wash. I remember when we had the push button on the dash and then went back to the stick lever. I guess it will be a matter of time before we go back again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts