Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I finally pulled the trigger on a CPO 2015 MDX with Tech. It has 24K miles on it with one owner and a clean Carfax. I got an additional Acura Care warranty for $1,050 which seems like a pretty good price. My total B2B warranty is now till 10/4/2021 or 100K miles whichever comes first. I'm happy with that.
I'm having splash guards installed on it and am now trying to decide which bumper protector is best for me.
They have 2 choices. The first is called Rear Bumper Applique ($134) and in the photo it looks like a clear vinyl adhesive sheet that sticks to the bumper. The second is called Rear Bumper Protector ($278) and it looks to be silver colored metal with ridges that also sticks to the bumper with adhesive.
We have a 60lb. retriever that will be jumping in and out of the cargo area.
Which product do folks think will be best for us? And why?
If anyone has real world experience with either/or both that would be great!

Thanks in Advance,

Brian
Syracuse, NY

P.S. We get lots of snow in the winter so either product would be wet/icy/snowy for 5 months out
of the year...if that factors in to anyone's calculations.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I had the Applique on my 11 and it worked fine. Had it for 6 years with no issues.

I got the Protector on my 17 and it is fine as well.

I like the appearance (or transparency) of the Applique better. The 17 Advance has more chrome (roof rails & other trim) than the 11 so the Protector looks fine, but I would not have liked the looks of the protector on the 11.

Re-check the price if you are inclined to DIY. You can buy the Applique online for about $50, and the Protector for $150.

You might also consider Door Edge Film for protection. About $40 online.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the metal protector on my 2015 Advance and it has done a great job. It is made of satin finished stainless steel. It does have adhesive strips on the back but also requires 4 small holes to be drilled in the plastic bumper cover(unless you cut these tabs off). I drilled the holes with some trepidation but after doing so realized it was no big deal. I have no concerns about this thing coming off. I have read elsewhere on this forum of guys just using adhesive apparently with satisfactory results. The unit does come with an accurate template for marking the holes.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would not hesitate in getting the protector over the applique as the protector does offer protection when loading things. The applique is just a clear vinyl film with very little protection. Many higher end suv has this protector. Also, the protector's metal look ties together well with the other metal pieces at the rear.

Reactions: gm4511

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I got the protector because we have a high loading height on the MDX and people other than me (meaning EVERYONE) tends to drag bags and crap out of my trunk if I can't get there first. The applique is nice, but you can still scratch right through it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Considering you have a dog going in and out, I would get the applique. I have the protector. It looks nice but I think with a dog going in and out, the protector will take a beating and get scratched up. If you go the applique route, once it gets old and somewhat filled with scratches, you should be able to take it off and replace it. I don't think your dog will be able to rip the film itself.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I had them put the applique on my 17 Advance. I really like it. I do my best to keep things off the bumper when loading/unloading, but I know accidents can happen. A family member has a 1st gen MDX and their bumper has several gouges in the paint that would have been avoided with an applique. Consider it to be similar to a screen protector that many people install on their smart phones.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts