Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a few searches and I'm still a bit confused about whether the headlights turn off automatically when you exit the car.

If I understand this correctly, the headlights will turn off automatically if you have them on manual, but they will not turn off automatically if you have them set on automatic.

If you can understand my rather confusing post can you please tell me if I am correct? I am picking up my SBP/nav/res tomorrow, and I'm trying to figure out what I can before I accidentally run down the battery. My '98 Sienna's headlights do turn off even in auto mode, so I'd be surprised if the MDX needed to be turned off manually.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I kept mine on auto and it will turn off automatically when you open the door.

·
Registered
470 Posts
sarha said:
If I understand this correctly, the headlights will turn off automatically if you have them on manual, but they will not turn off automatically if you have them set on automatic.
It's actually the other way around:

If you have the headlights set on "auto", they will turn off when you exit the vehicle (note that they stay on when you turn off the ignition but, go off when you open the door). :)

If you manually turn the headlights on, then you need to manually turn them off. :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
Light Problem Fix

I put a piece of dark velcro over the top of the light detector opening on the top of the dash. I did this because I drive with my lights on since our U.S. MDX does not have DTR lights like in Canada. My 01 would turn the lights out when I left the car. MY 03 does not and I have left my lights on numorus times . With the unit covered and in "auto" mode it works fine now. The car just thinks it's night all the time, but I guess that's the only way I can make sure I don't forget to turn off the lights. :jump3:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Re: Light Problem Fix

Rick K said:
I put a piece of dark velcro over the top of the light detector opening on the top of the dash. I did this because I drive with my lights on since our U.S. MDX does not have DTR lights like in Canada. My 01 would turn the lights out when I left the car. MY 03 does not and I have left my lights on numorus times . With the unit covered and in "auto" mode it works fine now. The car just thinks it's night all the time, but I guess that's the only way I can make sure I don't forget to turn off the lights. :jump3:
Clever mod, Rick K -- your solution is one way to simulate automatic DTR lights on the X! Just a quick note, my wife's rig has DTR lights, which are always on (when the car is running) and separate from the low beams. Her DTR lights are much dimmer than the low beam headlights, but I assume therefore that they probably consume much less power and won't unnecessarily shorten the life of the low beam headlights.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Odd 'warnings' in the Owner's Manual about this:

pg 81:
"Even with the automatic lighting feature turned on, we recommend that you turn on the lights manually when driving at night or in a dense fog, or when you enter dark areas, such as long tunnels or parking structures."

"Do not leave the light switch in AUTO if you will not be driving the vehicle for an extended period (a week or more). You should also turn off the lights if you plan to leave the engine idling or the engine off for a long time. This will prevent the battery from discharging."

pg 82:
"The automatic lighting feature is controlled by a sensor located on top of the dashboard. Do not cover this sensor or spill liquids on it."

Huh?!? :confused: What good is this feature if I have to think about it all the time? Are these just "CYA" warnings (i.e. we don't want to be sued if a bright light suddenly shuts the headlights off and you run into something)?

Having posted all of the above, I too have 'modified' the sensor (inspired by zafer's mod in this thread). I first tried covering it with a small piece of a dark "window cling" to make it more sensitive. When that wasn't quite sensitive enough, I took a black permanent marker to the window cling. Now the lights come on at more appropriate times IMHO (i.e. an overcast day) but, aren't on when it's bright and sunny.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have been a little disappointed with the sensitivity of the sensor. It doesn't turn on as easily as I had hoped. I think I am going to try some dark limo tint on mine when I get around to it. I like the marker idea. It allows you adjust the sensitivity. Neat trick.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I find the light-sensor's sensitivity leaving nothing to be desired in my 03. Works perfectly as one would expect. :confused:

·
Registered
259 Posts
The only problem I have with the auto headlights is that I keep forgetting and turning them off when I park. I'll get over it though.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
319 Posts
rjmitche said:
Having posted all of the above, I too have 'modified' the sensor (inspired by zafer's mod in this thread). I first tried covering it with a small piece of a dark "window cling" to make it more sensitive. When that wasn't quite sensitive enough, I took a black permanent marker to the window cling. Now the lights come on at more appropriate times IMHO (i.e. an overcast day) but, aren't on when it's bright and sunny.
rjmitche,

I used a small peice of film negative, but there's no easy way to keep it in place, short of using tape. What is window cling?

Thanks!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Arzoo said:
I used a small piece of film negative, but there's no easy way to keep it in place, short of using tape. What is window cling?
Hi Arzoo -

I wasn't quite sure what to call it but, I used the term 'window cling' to describe the things that adhere to smooth surfaces via static cling. Ours are mostly holiday kid related stuff (that we stuck on the sliding glass door to entertain the two-year-old) but, you see a lot of American flags, etc. these days made out of the same stuff. I found a stash of them in the basement and chose one that was on a dark background (this particular one had a Halloween theme). I just used a utility knife to trim out a small piece. They aren't perfect and tend to lose their 'cling' over time but, I figured it was better than permanently affixing something right now (although the black electrical tape is waiting in the wings if I don't find this solution to be satisfactory).

·
Registered
76 Posts
They also make a window tint that is held up by static. I used some a few years back for as a black out kit for my Vette. I think I bought it out of Ecklers or JCWhitney.

·
Registered
319 Posts
rjmitche/jnk_tx,
Thanks guys for the feedback on the static cling solution. Now I know exactly what you're talking about. I think Home Depot sells window tint like that. But it seems like a total waste to buy a 20 foot roll for tiny square. Oh well, maybe they have some scraps laying around. :D

·
3,109 Posts
bug with 2003 auto headlights

rjmitche said:
If you have the headlights set on "auto", they will turn off when you exit the vehicle (note that they stay on when you turn off the ignition but, go off when you open the door). :)
ATTEN: i.e. from the drivers door only!!

...well guess what happens if you never use the drivers door. They never go off! Including interior lights.

I just went to put the garbage out, and!?? the X's lights were on!?? I'm what the heck? (substitute fu for he). I go back in to grab the keys thinking why? how? When I open the drivers door they go off. A few seconds more and it hits me. I would consider this a bug with the auto headlights. So, here it is:

I've been driving the X this weekend so the other cars are inside and it is out on the driveway. The sun finally came out today, so I used the Intro Tech sunshade I bought from Tim, it completely blocks the windshield. During the afternoon I went out to save some contacts in the navi. I wasn't going go anywhere so I got in from and sat on the passenger side, powered-up accessories, did what I had to do with the navi, powered -off, and went back in. Get it?

I realize the circumstances surely makes this a unique series of conditions, BUT still somethings missing. A countdown timer or something to turn off all lights after some inactivity. Another time I manually turned on the dome/interior lights, to find them still on hours later when I returned. Not even a chime reminder!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Re: bug with 2003 auto headlights

zafer said:
ATTEN: i.e. from the drivers door only!!

...well guess what happens if you never use the drivers door. They never go off! Including interior lights.
Yeh, I noticed the same thing. But that's not all that's odd about the MDX 'door options'. When you take the key out of the ignition, you can still open or close the windows and sunroof, but NOT after any door is opened. What's up with that 'feature' :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey All,

Don't know where else to post this, so I'll post it here. Is there a way to aim the low beams? I was poking under the hood the other day and I could not find any knobs, screws or any other adjustment levers to adjust the low beams, other than the screws that keep the socket in.

Any ideas anybody? Thanks:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts