Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the nav system on the 2003 be programmed or changed while moving, either by voice or manually entered?
Have there been any unexpected expenses you've encountered
(e.g. on our M-B ML 430, we've had to change the brakes about every 20,000 miles)?
Does the VSA help control skids on slippery surfaces?
Any major disappointments to owning the MDX?
Is there free maintanence during the warranty period?

We looked at a MDX and liked it a lot and need to replace our
vehicle fairly soon. Thanks for your imput. later, ldf

·
Registered
128 Posts
Navi automatically recalculates the route
if you do not follow the first given direction.
I'm not sure what you meant by reprogramming,
but certainly you can change your route or destination
or middle stops while you are moving.
(can you describe the situation more specifically?)

Mercedes people keep saying this brake replacement thing.
Was your ML actually used up the pads or did you just
follow as you were told? My Lexus RX300 had no problem
till 60,000 miles with its original brakes.
Hope the same or more with my new 2003 MDX.

Free maintanence depends on each dealership/service dept.
I guess. Some gives free oil change every next time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I meant to say is can you change the destination (city, intersection, address, etc.) of whatever data you've entered while moving (not stopped) like the new Lexus and Nissan products require.

I averaged about 20000 (now have 88000 on it) miles between brake pad replaced and had to have the rotors replaced at least once. It's common on the ML's, especially the 430's, probably because they have great stopping power and some of the auto systems to "help" drive and steer use the brakes to control them.

Thanks for the info. later, ldf

·
Registered
235 Posts
ml320 v. MDX

laterldf,

i leased a 1999 ml320 for 3 years.
i also had to have my brake pads and rotors replaced but this was done at about 37,000 mi.

the MDX Nav can be programmed at any time, whether the car is in park or on the road.
my experience with this system over 10 weeks has been excellent and i have been very impressed.

complimentary scheduled maintanance is not universally offered by acura.

one nice feature of the ml320 was that the car told you when it needed service...the oil needed to be changed about every 11,500 miles-saves the owner a bit of money and time-very nice.

good luck,

chris

·
Registered
128 Posts
dear laterldf,

as cmdpm pointed out you can certainly change your destination
while you are still enjoying the drive!

i heard that acura's navi is one of the easiest and most comprehensive systems.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
laterldf said:

Does the VSA help control skids on slippery surfaces?
Any major disappointments to owning the MDX?
Is there free maintanence during the warranty period?
VSA will definitely help control skids on slippery surfaces. It probably isn't quite as broadly effective as the full-range stability control systems on the European vehicles (long threads on this one already) but it is a big plus.

I think by and large on this system you'll find that the vast majority of folks here are very happy with their vehicles. There are some who have gotten lemons or had serious problems, but it's hard to tell statistically what that means.

Unfortunately, Acura (like Lexus and Infiniti) do not include any kind of free scheduled maintenance during the warranty. There are a few dealers here and there that will throw in a free service or two with vehicle purchase.

Unfortunately, frequent brake pad replacement on ML's is fairly common (and in the U.S. are not included in scheduled maintenance, as I understand it). That's one reason some owners have gone to aftermarket pads. At least the ML brakes seem quite effective.

Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Make the jump! I owned 2 Ml's and there is no comparison. The Nav system is light years ahead of the MLs and much more detailed than a 2000 Ody that I had. We love our MDX and are glad we made the switch.
Greg

·
Registered
259 Posts
You can do everything to the Navi while moving that you can do while stopped. Just be careful typing in addresses. Especially if you're behind me going down the freeway.:14:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts