Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what the issue is 07 mdx tech. with 186kmiles. It threw a code which said, Miss fire on cylinder 1 and 4.. So I checked the plugs and coils on 1 and 4 and they were fine. I even replaced the plugs and the coils to be sure. After restarting, it continued to throw the error and give an extremely rough idle. Any ideas? I also received a check emissions system warning as well simultaneously as the miss-fire code.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Look at long term and short term fuel trim, o2 sensor reading, and freeze frame? Need to look everywhere. Maybe change air filter etc. Get all the common maintenance stuff done first.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turns out I need a valve adjustment and replace the plugs and coils that I replaced not even 6 months ago. I used the denso plugs btw. The coils were stock as well. I have been suspecting I needed a valve adjustment for sometime now as my idle was not really the best. This is after replacing the air filter. Cleaning the EGR port and replaced the EGR. I also cleaned the throttle body and fuel injectors and I could never get a smooth idle. In addition, they have to adjust the timing belt as the previous folks that performed an head gasket job didn't install it correctly I'm told.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Turns out I need a valve adjustment and replace the plugs and coils that I replaced not even 6 months ago. I used the denso plugs btw. The coils were stock as well. I have been suspecting I needed a valve adjustment for sometime now as my idle was not really the best. This is after replacing the air filter. Cleaning the EGR port and replaced the EGR. I also cleaned the throttle body and fuel injectors and I could never get a smooth idle. In addition, they have to adjust the timing belt as the previous folks that performed an head gasket job didn't install it correctly I'm told.
Have you solved the problem? How did you come to the conclusion that valve adjustment is the culprit? Love to hear the diagnosis process. Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you solved the problem? How did you come to the conclusion that valve adjustment is the culprit? Love to hear the diagnosis process. Thanks

I don't have a the full diagnosis yet from the shop. I went by there yesterday so they could point out the sloppy work of a previous mechanic. It is even possible that the previous mechanic did the head gasket job improperly. I should know more today. The previous mechanic left the engine dirty. There are wires split and tied together. Broken brackets and connectors, so there is no telling what they will find once they open her up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turns out my issues were, the timing belt job was not done correctly, had to be re-done and valve adjustment, in which the valves needed some major adjusting. They also cleaned the engine to the point it looks brand new. While at it. I took care the steering pump leak, oil pressure sensor, plugs, coils and the hydraulic tensioner for the timing belt. She runs like new!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts