Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am new to this forum, and to Honda ownership in general. I am no stranger to cars however, as I own, modify, and maintain a 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo. My wife and I looked long and hard at the various Sport Utility vehicles out there, and after much research and test driving, narrowed our selection down to the '03 MDX and the Sequoia Limited. The MDX edged out the Sequoia, both on price, and drivability. The Sequoia has a 1500lb towing advantage, and about 10 more cubic feet of cargo space, but we seldom have occasion to tow anything, and won't miss the extra space.

I have the car reserved with Acura of Portland, and have been dealing with Justin Lemons (inauspicious name for a car salesman if I ever heard one). We are getting the Touring package with DVD and Navigation, and adding the tow package. Total price out the door will be $43,572. Arrival date at the dealership will be approximately 3/29/03.

Ordinarily I would purchase the tow package and install it myself, but I'd like to retain the factory warranty. I plan to buy and install any other dealer accessories myself. My opinion after a couple of days of lurking in this forum is that Tim at HondaAcuraWorld is the guy to get these parts from, at a reasonable price.

For those of you in the Las Vegas or AZ marketplace, Justin informs me that MDX's can be had there for as much as $1k under MSRP.

Best regards,

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome, you will be happy with the SBP! :4:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
Mlkeller, we had the color choice narrowed down to DBP or HBM, and your pictures helped sway the decision to SBP :) Neither Acura dealer in town has an SBP in stock, so your pics were the next best thing to seeing one in person.

Looks like I'm going to have to add another vehicle to my car website: www.soundkwest.com/mr2 :)

Best regards,

·
Registered
335 Posts
Great, glad they helped! The SBP is still somewhat rare (although I see more folks on here getting them), so I wanted to help folks get a feel for it...(I think there are several folks who now have SBPs due to mine, because I heard from the dealer that several folks considering the color looked at mine while it was there waiting for me to pick it up and decided to go for it). :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
kblake said:
[ Total price out the door will be $43,572.

That sounds like quite a deal. Good luck with the new SBP, I love ours.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Great choice. I got my SBP Tour/NAV 3 weeks ago and just love it. Lots of compliments on the color. Tim's the man for accessories. I'm just waiting for delivery of my tow package but not worried about warranty on that. What can break?:eek:

·
Registered
302 Posts
kblake said:

We are getting the Touring package with DVD and Navigation, and adding the tow package. Total price out the door will be $43,572. Arrival date at the dealership will be approximately 3/29/03.
$43,572 out of the door (including tax and license, etc ?)

The MSRP for your model is $ 42,500. Assuming the tow package is $1,072, which gives the total purchase price of $43,572 before tax and other fees.

You are saving at least $4-5K on this vehicle if tax and fees are included in the total purchase price. This is the first time I heard of a dealer who can give a such a deep discount on the 03 X.

For those who are still shopping for the X, this sounds like the best deal so far.

Agree?
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
93 Posts
You will love the color! Depending on the sunlight/darkness, the color of the car changes. I really like it!
And the navigation ROCKS! Best 2,000 I have ever spent!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Iceman,
MSRP is $42,500, they are charging $959 for the tow package installed. There is a $113 license fee.
I live in Portland Oregon, and we don't have state sales tax.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
kblake,

Congrats and Welcome~~~

No sales tax? that is great~~~ But do you need to pay HIGH property tax?? In Virginia, we are paying 3% of car sales tax + annual property tax (OUCH) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi JTM,
Our property taxes are probably about average, I know we pay about half what Chicago pays (because my wife is from there). Our state INCOME tax is relatively high, it was slightly higher than California, when I moved here in 8/94. They just (unsuccessfully) tried to raise the income tax, but we voted the measure down.

Now they are making the budget cuts where it will be felt the worst-in the schools, prisons, and State Police. We need to get Bob and Bob from "Office Space" to come in and clean out our state government: "So what exactly would you say that you DO here?"

Best regards,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not the best deal ever. As posted earlier, Iceman didn't realize that I'm in Oregon, with no sales tax and exceedingly low licensing fees.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Kblake,

I would think maybe the $1k below MSRP would be for the 02 model here in Vegas...when I had my 7,500 mile service a few months ago, there were a number of 02s on the lot and in the showroom, but most of them were loaded with aftermarket accessories, i.e., installed BSMs at $300.00....the cheapest sticker I saw was around $42,000 for and 02 and 46,000 for an 03....I haven't seen too many 03s around town, maybe 3 or 4, hell I don't see that many 01s and 02s either when compared to Lexus, MBs, and Beamers....

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
kblake said:
Hi Iceman,
MSRP is $42,500, they are charging $959 for the tow package installed. There is a $113 license fee.
I live in Portland Oregon, and we don't have state sales tax.

Best regards,
Welcome kblake. It's nice to have another Oregonian on the board.

I bought my MDX from Ron Tonkins and like you the only accessory I bought from the dealer was the tow package. Also like you I was overcharged $200 for the tow package but got it anyway so it was covered 5/50000.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Re: No Sales Tax In Oregon

mdxxxx said:

Yeah, Yeah, rub it in kblake!:D
kblacke forgot to mention the registration fees in Oregon.

Cost me $60 and that was for 4 years.

What is registration in Cal now? Was real high even when I lived there and that was 18 years ago. (need a rub salt in wound smile)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts