Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Been in the Acura family for awhile now. This is my my 7th Acura. Current one is 2014 MDX ADV ENT.

Been having the Check Emissions Systems and SH-AWD light on for awhile. By that I mean, every week when I fill my tank, and click 5-7 times on the cap, then drive about 15 mins. Those two lights comes on.

While the Check Emissions light stays on for several days, before it goes away, .... the SHAWD light comes on but would go away after a day or so. But when that light is on though, the AWD is not working. FWD only. Or at least that’s what showing on dash.

I’m just so tired of this issue. I read about possibly battery going out, so I replaced the battery. That solved it for a bit. Couple months. Now it’s back again. Weekly. After fill-up.
So I went to Autozone and did a scan. It was the EVAP Purge Cannister Valve. The results showed that as a possible solution. So, just bought the part from Autozone.
My question is, where is the purge valve on the MDX? Do I have to remove the engine bay cover? And if so, do I remove the cover by yanking it upwards?
Anyone did this before on their 3rd Gen? I saw some threads but those are the second Gen, I believe.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I don't know the answer on replacing the purge valve since I haven't needed to on my 2014 shawd but the engine cover comes off easily - it just pops off - no tools required. But be careful, especially when putting it back on, since it's a hokey design where there are just studs that pop into grommets to retain it and if you push the cover on too hard you'll dislodge and possibly lose one of the grommets. You have to push on hard enough but not too hard. This is where a less flimsy securing method would have been worth the extra 3 cents of cost for Acura (if that).

Have you changed the gas cap itself yet? It could be the cause of some issues like this as well - especially since it's a part frequently taken off and put back on. If it isn't sealing well it can cause a check engine light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about the cap as well until the scan at Autozone showed results that said EVAP purge valve as the possible remedy. But I ordered a cap online too. Will definitely swap it out but knowing my luck, it won’t be suck the easy fix. Lol

I looked online for the location of the purge valve but all I found was earlier Gen MDX or accords or TL.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The cheapest and easiest fix for many problems involving the fuel system: don't "top off the tank". Really. Overfilling the tank causes gasoline to overflow into the emission system that recovers fuel vapor during tank filling.

Gas cap is next in line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts