Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 MDX AWD Tech

I have recently noticed an odd pulsing/fluttering when accelerating at moderate/slow rates. It is more pronounced when driving through the city or my neighborhood (25-35 MPH) The tachometer flutters and the acceleration is inconsistent.

Anyone have a similar experience or a possible diagnosis?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
2014 MDX AWD Tech

I have recently noticed an odd pulsing/fluttering when accelerating at moderate/slow rates. It is more pronounced when driving through the city or my neighborhood (25-35 MPH) The tachometer flutters and the acceleration is inconsistent.

Here's my guess: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-thi...esent/91865-tsb-s-2014-mdx-4.html#post1185513

It seems a lot of people are now experiencing this in the 2014s and 2015s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@ jcroseman

Not sure if you still have your 2014 MDX but I'm experiencing the same symptoms that you had with the pulsating acceleration

Were you able to resolve the issue and was it covered under warranty?

thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Does this apply to 2016 Model as well? or just 14-15 only? I have the same issue while driving in traffic and slow speed. :(
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently had the 2-TSB’s performed on my ‘15, the change in the cars low speed response and drive ability is dramatic. No more hunting for a gear or waiting for the torque converter to lockup. There are 2016-17 model specific TSBs as well as recalls, from what I have seen the dealer network and manufacturer are fully prepared to backup their product.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My last 2014 had the TSB (software update) and it helped, but did not cure the rubbery crappy transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yup, I have the same issue, 2014 w/ 37k miles. Took it in to the dealer for the first time two months ago. Not sure what they did but issue got a little better but still not fixed.

My 2013 ford F-150 base model has a smooth trans (as did every other car I've owned). I'm kinda disappointed with Acura. Hopefully the next attempt at the dealer will fix this problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Concur. My 2014 MDX-Tech started with the fluttering vibrations at lower rpm (1300-1800), while applying minimal acceleration, in mid-2017, at roughly 37K miles. At idle, the car also actively varied between 500-700 RPM. They cleaned the fuel system, which helped stabilize the idling problem, but did nothing for fluttering vibrations. Likewise, while they had the car up on the lift, they broke a motor mount which had to be replaced a week later. The transmission fluid had been changed at 30K so they declined to change it again. Thus, I took the car to a Honda Shop and had it changed myself, to no avail. Then, in early December, the Catalytic Converter went out and was replaced under warrantee; I prayed that its replacement would fix the fluttering problem. It did not.

I will be taking the car back in for the fluttering problem again in Jan, 2018, but I have already been advised that they probably can't fix the problem because they "all fail like that at around 40K miles, but Acura is working on the problem". What an unbelievable $50K+ POS this car has proven to be over the course of the 4-years since I purchased it new in late 2013. I have a lemon-lawyer lined up and I will keep this forum fully apprised if we go forward with the case.

Honda/Acura can give-away goodies to the needy but they seem incapable of meeting the real needs of their customers!

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Concur. My 2014 MDX-Tech started with the fluttering vibrations at lower rpm (1300-1800), while applying minimal acceleration, in mid-2017, at roughly 37K miles. At idle, the car also actively varied between 500-700 RPM. They cleaned the fuel system, which helped stabilize the idling problem, but did nothing for fluttering vibrations. Likewise, while they had the car up on the lift, they broke a motor mount which had to be replaced a week later. The transmission fluid had been changed at 30K so they declined to change it again. Thus, I took the car to a Honda Shop and had it changed myself, to no avail. Then, in early December, the Catalytic Converter went out and was replaced under warrantee; I prayed that its replacement would fix the fluttering problem. It did not.

I will be taking the car back in for the fluttering problem again in Jan, 2018, but I have already been advised that they probably can't fix the problem because they "all fail like that at around 40K miles, but Acura is working on the problem". What an unbelievable $50K+ POS this car has proven to be over the course of the 4-years since I purchased it new in late 2013. I have a lemon-lawyer lined up and I will keep this forum fully apprised if we go forward with the case.

Honda/Acura can give-away goodies to the needy but they seem incapable of meeting the real needs of their customers!
Sorry about your problems. But you seem to be the exception,not the rule.

·
Registered
444 Posts

Ask them to check the engine mounts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought a 2015 this week and am experiencing this fluttering inconsistent acceleration. I love the car and want to keep it, but only if it runs right. It freaks me out that it may get worse as miles get driven.

I bought through carvana and can return for full refund by this Saturday. I don't want to return it if possible. What should I ask the acura dealer to look for or do to see if it corrects the issue this week? Is it something that is covered by factory warranty?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently had the 2-TSB’s performed on my ‘15, the change in the cars low speed response and drive ability is dramatic. No more hunting for a gear or waiting for the torque converter to lockup. There are 2016-17 model specific TSBs as well as recalls, from what I have seen the dealer network and manufacturer are fully prepared to backup their product.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2014 MDX AWD Tech

Mine was a disconnected vacuum line which a mechanic failed to put back on ... Causing really bad acceleration and shifting

·
Registered
2 Posts
2014 MDX AWD Tech

I have been having the same problem for the last year or 15 - 20k miles. 3 mechanics including one Acura technician have said nothing's wrong They're wrong. I've driven that car since it was brand new.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.