Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mine is the white diamond pearl. At first I really didn’t want white, but now that I’ve had it for a while I actually really like it!!! Love the deep contrast it gives to the tinted windows. And it doesn’t show the dirt anywhere near as bad as the black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
I got the white on my 17 for two reasons: I wanted the Espresso Brown interior, and secondly, they did not offer a nice red at the time. By "nice", I mean a red like the ones that Ford, GM, Hyundai, and others offer. Not bright red, but a candy-applish red. The new red available in the newest MDX's is just a bit too bright for me in this type of car (but I probably could live with it).

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hard to say. They sometimes revise the tsb later when they discover the problem is bigger than initially thought.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
501 Posts
It's amazing how many manufacturers have issues with white paint pealing. Domestically Ford and GM have struggled for years with this, wasn't aware Acura too.

White is a fleet color anyway :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like white vehicles but my wife prefers charcoal or silver. We got the charcoal colored MDX...lol I think it's gunmetal actually...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I will be taking my 19 pearl white into the dealer and having a discussion about the paint. I have chips already happening on one of the rear doors. Really not happy that a car that is 7 months old to me is already having damage on the paint.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I will be taking my 19 pearl white into the dealer and having a discussion about the paint. I have chips already happening on one of the rear doors. Really not happy that a car that is 7 months old to me is already having damage on the paint.
In general the paint on Honda/Acura and several other non-german brands because it's "eco-friendly" tends to be not as durable/thick and chips easy. And most cars that aren't german have pretty thin clear coats. German luxury cars on the other hand (Mercedes, BMW, Audi) have very thick and lustrous clear coats that are really solid and protect the paint well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In general the paint on Honda/Acura and several other non-german brands because it's "eco-friendly" tends to be not as durable/thick and chips easy. And most cars that aren't german have pretty thin clear coats. German luxury cars on the other hand (Mercedes, BMW, Audi) have very thick and lustrous clear coats that are really solid and protect the paint well.

Yea I’m not sure that’s a valid excuse for Honda though. The car is supposed to be low maintenance in cost vs a German car as well.

I do agree Honda paint isn’t great, but for 50k for a new car, it shouldn’t be coming off either.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yea I’m not sure that’s a valid excuse for Honda though. The car is supposed to be low maintenance in cost vs a German car as well.

I do agree Honda paint isn’t great, but for 50k for a new car, it shouldn’t be coming off either.
I don't know if that's the reason for your paint chips or not, and I never said I agree or like the lower quality/durability paint used by most auto manufacturers today (Honda, Acura, Nissan, Infiniti, Most (if not all) US manufacturers, many others). It's not an excuse, it's just the reality of how it is. I don't like it either.

I was just making the observation that if you get your clearcoat thickness checked it's much less thick than Audi/BMW/Mercedes, because the German luxury brands put like 10 layers of clear coat on top of the base coat. Which is why German luxury when detailed the paint looks like glass, it's so smooth and it holds up well. Most others only put like 2 or 3 layers of clear coat on, and not only are these layers not as thick but the material used isn't as hard/durable either.

I have a 2010 Infiniti and the paint chips really easy, which is why on any car now days you had better put clear film on the front/fenders/mirrors/pilars etc otherwise the front of the car will be pock marked with chips in no time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the 2015 white diamond pearl, and used to park it outside, and the color is great. No issues with the paint whatsoever. We were in CA though, so no rains, just tons of sunshine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got an 2019 MDX with Canyon Bronze Metallic..... Love the color for this car with Espresso interior. Time will tell how it measures up in the environment. So far I enjoy the ride and the handling, but my 2016 Infiniti QX60 which I turned in at lease end, was more luxurious, and much more interior cargo and "stiff" room including a glove box that was cavernous. I read so many reviews comparing the 2019 QX60 and the MDX (with Advance Package) it made my head spin. The MDX ended up as the better deal , but the QX was a very close 2nd. I like the MDX looks better than the QX, which really looks little Blooty from the rear and side angles... But I had no problem with the wekll engineered CVT tranny. You just need to get used to it.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting how this thread was created to inform you all of problems with our white paint and has quickly become a thread about anything else...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I was just wondering about that myself. Don’t know what blooty means.

Reactions: neoshi

·
Registered
5 Posts
i love that they are "hopefully" gonna fix this. I have a 15' model this exact PROBLEM color and one day my wife comes home and theres a huge piece of paint missing! And its just flaked off since. Right in front of sun roof like the pics represent..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts