Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PS pump suddenly developed a whine today, with a puddle under the car on the passenger side. Put the car up on the ramps and added fluid to the PS Reservoir. No visible leaks from the high pressure line or around the Rack & Pinion, but the frame under the crank pulley was wet. I cleaned that off and the steel tube on top of the frame. Started the engine and found the leak coming from that steel tube near the radiator where it joins a rubber tube. The tube is rusty in that area and it looks like I have a pin hole leak on what I think is the low pressure line from the Rack & Pinion to the PS Cooling Loop that sits on the front of the radiator. I have not been able to find anything about this line in this website or any other internet sites. Does anyone have a schematic of this part of the PS system an PN of the tube? It is not listed in Rock Auto Parts or NAPA that I could find. This car has 191K on it and has always been in Connecticut, so rust it not too big a surprise.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
What year is your MDX?

It sounds like you're describing the Power Steering Return Hose, which Acura calls the "Pipe B, Return".

Are you referring to this:

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Reactions: smufguy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found it, it is the Pipe B, Return (10MM) - Acura (53779-S3V-A00) maybe only about $20-$25 from one of the Acura dealers. I'll check what it costs here in Connecticut. I'm really glad to see from the illustration that it is not attached to the Rack & Pinion directly. Looks like a hose clamp attachment on both ends. When I replace it, and need to add fluid, is it just to pour more in, or is any bleeding needed to get air out that might have resulted from running with low fluid in the PS Reservoir?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
You'll want to bleed the system. If you have a jack and jack stands I'd lift the front end off the ground, then fill up the reservoir, then slowly turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock a bunch of times, while monitoring the reservoir to ensure it stays full. It may take 15-ish full lock-to-lock cycles to bleed the air out.

Reactions: smufguy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it was nice to get off easy on this one, glad it was not the HP hose, but it was hot out on the driveway today! Thanks p07r0457 for the lead on the parts and the bleed procedure. Just finished the test drive and all is back to normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.