Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were running a bunch of errands in the X today and I was complaining about having to "OK" the Nav disclaimer every time we got back into the car, especially since we're weren't using the Nav at the time. My wife suggested Acura should make the "AC-Trip" screen the default start-up...i.e. when you start the car, the "AC-Trip" screen would appear. Then, if you decide you're going to use the Nav, you hit the "Map/Guide" button, you'd get the safety disclaimer and hit "OK," and the Nav would be operational.
I know you can ignore the Nav disclaimer and just hit "AC-Trip" at start-up if you want, but you still have to reach up and hit a dash button every time you start up the car. Acura could simplify it...and they should.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Agreed. It's the same on our Ody and I'd love to disable it. It should restore the last display mode as far as I'm concerned.

The disclaimer should be a sticker that can be ripped off after delivery. Or perhaps leave it as smallprint hidden somewhere in the owners manual.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I agree with the proposed order ...

... however they will never do away with the disclamer.

A sticker that can be ripped off after delivery would not be there for resales; nor anyone else who drives the car. Ditto fine print hidden in the manual.

The disclaimer is intended to be read and acknowleged by any and every driver who will ever be driving the car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, trial lawyers!

"msu79gt82" is right. And we can thank the trial lawyers of America for that Nav Disclaimer, which we all ignore as we mindlessly press OKAY each time.
At the risk of wandering "off topic," I'm thinking that "loser-pays" could solve a lot of the lawsuit garbage that's clogging our courts and our Nav units. ;)

By the way, "msu79gt82," I graduated MSU(although my MSU was Michigan State University) in 1968 but later lived about 2 miles North of Georgia Tech from 1971-1975...just off Peachtree at Brookwood Station.

·
Registered
12 Posts
we can thank the trial lawyers of America for that Nav Disclaimer, which we all ignore as we mindlessly press OKAY each time.
DAMN! and I've been reading that message everytime I start the car.

I'm waiting for the day we see rearview mirrors with labels such as "Putting on makeup while driving can seriously damage your health... Acura is not responsible for the way you use this mirror".

·
Registered
206 Posts
It takes two button presses for me to get pass the warning screen. Thats because I first back out of the garage, so I look backwards, then, when Im out of the garage and driveway, and facing forward, the Nav unit has already changed to the shutdown screen. This is not even 10 seconds worth of delay. So now I have to push a button to get the warning screen, then the ok button.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is the main reason I did NOT buy the stock nav...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Danal Estes:

That's a lame excuse for not buying Acura Navigation ... It's a nice piece of equipment and certainly worth every penny in terms of price and additional effort to push the OK button.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We have the navi and I have to say it never takes you the direct way. It seems to get you to your destination ass backwards. If you don't do much long distance traveling, I would pass on it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I agree with GCK...

Navigation system is definitely the best option on the MDX. I do not understand why people are complaining about having to "turn it on" by pushing an extra button. Come on people, is it really that big of a deal?

After all, all other controls and accessories on the MDX have to be turned on:

- The MDX does not start by itself, you actually have to insert the key and turn it every time.
- Transmission does not shift by itself, you have to select the gear every time you want to drive.
- Lights do not come on automatically, you have to turn the switch every time.

So why shouldn't the Navi have an activation switch as well. It doesn't require that much effort to touch the screen.

Is it slightly annoying to have to do this every time? - Absolutely. Is it a reason not to get the Navi system as Danal Estes mentioned above? - Definitely not, in my opinion.

·
Registered
411 Posts
JerryL:

Agreed that the Navi doesn't always get you in the best possible route, but it does get you there. You have to realize that there is only a certain amount of intelligence you can build into a machine. You probably know your routes well in Wayne, PA .... but when you go out, you depend on the maps and directions from others. Navi simplies your life that way.

Here in the SF Bay Area, the coverage and routing is pretty good and accurate.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Danal Estes said:
This is the main reason I did NOT buy the stock nav...
I'm with you! Except I won't take the elevator at work; what a PITA to press that damn up-arrow/down-arrow button, then the floor button, not to mention if some poor sap is running for the closing doors and I'm searching frantically for the >< close-the-doors-right-now button. I take the stairs.

Tho I must admit I'm glad we're not on 62 anymore :rolleyes:

BTW Mrs. Leader's suggestion makes sense. In the Lexus, the screen defaults to its last use (e.g. if you were using AC, it goes to AC when the car's started again; no disclaimer unless you wanna actually use the Nav/map). Of course, that bennie is offset by the fact that the Nav is totally inop when in motion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Having used the nav in our Ody for the last 2 years I can confidently say it's well worth the $2k. Apart from the disclaimer gripe the only other disappointing thing is the $150 charge for CD upgrades and the fact that the map really isn't very up-to-date. Still, didn't stop us ordering nav on the mdx.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nav disclaimer

Hi Leader
You are right,it is a pain. Tell you What I did . Start the car, when the disclaimer comes up just leave it alone for about 10 seconds. the screen will go black, and you will have a small clock in the right bottom corner. Touch the clock and it will become a large clock in the center of the screen. So when ever you start the car the disclaimer will come on , wait 5 or 6 seconds and the large clock will return center screen. Should you want to use the nav you can hit menu and of course you will have to deal with the disclaimer screen. But when you start the car again
the big clock comes on . To change back to the way you were, is to touch the big clock and it will revert to the small one in the corner.
, BIG AL

·
Registered
617 Posts
or maybe the better way is put a timer when you turn the ignition off to work something like 10 minutes. And when you turn the ignition back on within ten minutes it should not go through waiver prompt.
So in situations like gas stops, you don't need to go though the crap.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nav "OK" Prompt is a Pain

The prompt is a pain. I don't care about the CYA the Nav maker is trying to do.

If Alpine could put an OK prompt on the screen before one could use the CD changer, they probably would.

When radios were first put in cars, some people tried to outlaw them as too distracting and dangerous to be in cars. Now it is the cellulars. Maybe it is the driver. ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Let's find a hacker who can break the 'OK' prompt and whlie we are at it, let us pick the picture it display's at start-up. SOmeone should be able to figure it out and with DVD burners getting cheaper everyday we could make our own ACURAMDX.ORG logo to come up everytime the car is turned on!!

When the DVD "boots" it goes directly to the nav menu...

BTW, have you noticed that if you just hit the A/C-TRIP button your history is not accessible, then you gotta go back and hit that darn "OK" button to get it... Oh well. I agree the NAV is worth every penny.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts