Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to replace a 2011 MDX propeller shaft assembly due to a failing/noisy bearing @ 104Kmi and got socked for for ~ $900.

Both Acura Care and Acura Client (non) Relations were of no help as the 8year/120Kmi Acura care had expired a year ago.

I have two more MDX's in service, and do not want to be whacked again twice more just because Acura's "precision crafted performance" does not necessarily extend to making simple steel parts and bearings last very long?

Is there any preventive maintenance for this?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly.

My local mechanic's disbelief turned to amusement noting that this is on an Acura. My amusement stopped when I heard the bill, as Acura will only sell the entire prop-shaft assembly.

But neither the Acura dealership's service advisor nor Acura Client Relations appeared to be fazed by this - which suggests that Acura likely received bad batch of bearings or Ujoints, and they're just hoping that owners will only notice the increasingly louder high-pitched hissing after the power-train warranty has expired.

I suppose I'm lucky that it is not the transmission or the SHAWD itself.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mind recently was failing (center bearing was binding, rear was shot), had a weird vibration. Have an aftermarket market warranty, so cost me $50 out of pocket for replacement. Have a 13' Advance with 98k at time of service.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
>> ... center bearing was binding, rear was shot
> ... 13' Advance with 98k at time of service
Were they able to inspect this without a teardown, before replacement?

Having Acura inspect this just before the expiration of the powertrain warranty may be the sensible option if possible.

·
Registered
55 Posts
>> ... center bearing was binding, rear was shot

Were they able to inspect this without a teardown, before replacement?

Having Acura inspect this just before the expiration of the powertrain warranty may be the sensible option if possible.
Yes, I was having the rear shocks replaced under warranty and mentioned my odd vibration. They noticed it was shot when they had it on the lift, so no need to remove it first.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a follow-up on the prop-shaft replacement on the 2011 MDX.

Since around 70K or so, I had noticed a gradual reduction in MPG on the same commute route, same premium gas.

After the new prop-shaft I now get sustained ~2 MPG better.

Mixed city/highway commute time traffic leads to ~ 18.5 MPG, where it used to be around 16.5 MPG. Freeway cruising between 65-70 MPH yields 22-23 MPG now versus around 20 earlier.

I find it hard to believe that the bad bearings were creating this much of additional engine load, but can find no other explanation.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I find it hard to believe that the bad bearings were creating this much of additional engine load, but can find no other explanation.
Interesting! I thought there was only one bearing in the middle - and its only purpose is to provide free propeller shaft spin at the place of the middle support. I find it unlikely that bearing going bad would result in 2 MPG loss.

Have you noticed any other improvements? Like vibration decrease, etc?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any way to find out if Acura reduced the weight of the newer revision of the prop-shaft? This could reduce the rotational spinning loss.

I'm gobsmacked as I have not seen remaining range >400miles in a (very)^3 long time (vehicle was bought brand new in 2011).

And the trip computer matches fill-up/miles traveled arithmetic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I posted to this tread last week but I suppose since I included a link, the moderators still haven't released it yet. I had to replace the whole driveshaft in a 2008 Saturn Outlook because a U joint or the center bearing wasn't available as a component. What has this world come to where we can't fix something cost effectively? They don't include grease fittings on these anymore so we cannot maintain them, the manufacturer forces up to purchase the whole drive shaft.
Anyway, Someone on a GM forum found replacement U joints on Ebay for the Acadia, Enclave Traverse, Outlook platform. Also, Rockauto sells the entire Driveshaft for about 1/3 the cost of the Manufacturer. I believe with the proper research, one can find replacement components for the MDX driveshaft as well.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
What has this world come to where we can't fix something cost effectively?
Oh, we sure can. U-joint replacements are typically common. And although there is no OEM or aftermarket parts to do that specifically for the second gen MDX, there are parts that can be used. But it absolutely does not make any sense whatsoever given the cost they want.

I was quoted CAD $550 for replacing both U-joints whereas a completely new OEM entire driveshaft assembly costs $680. There's simply no way I'm paying 80% cost of a brand new assembly for just replacing U-joints for an existing one using some non OEM parts and NO bearing replacement, mind you. So I just wished the guys who were doing the U-joint replacements all the best in their future endeavours. It's mind boggling sometimes how any of those can stay afloat with their business. It takes an hour at best to do the job and may be couple of hundred bucks at best to get the parts (if that!), so the markup for the procedure is around 100%, which is just basic stealing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A much less expensive way to go is to replace the u-joints yourself. The u-joints on MDXs are sealed onto the propeller shaft but it's a simple process to knock them out. Remove the shaft, and find something the same size as the ends of the u-joints and tap with a hammer until they break loose. Remove the u-joint and take it to an auto parts store and tell them you need a replacement (around $15.00 or so), DO NOT attempt to match up the u-joints by make and model of the vehicle because you will not find them, ask them to match it up by measurement

·
Registered
160 Posts
Everyone criticized me and had some chatter to say when I brought up all the defects on this vehicle. But this problem is just another example of a poorly made vehicle. I have never been so disappointed with any vehicle as I have with this one. Acura.....NEVER again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Everyone criticized me and had some chatter to say when I brought up all the defects on this vehicle. But this problem is just another example of a poorly made vehicle. I have never been so disappointed with any vehicle as I have with this one. Acura.....NEVER again.
I doubt that there is any vehicle out there with 100% owner satisfaction. Does anybody know of one?
Every vehicle is designed to attract buyers with more features than the older models or the competition, these things break, there isn't enough room in the body to be able to repair them cost effectively and the manufacturers find ways to cut costs in parts and labor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts