Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to replace a 2011 MDX propeller shaft assembly due to a failing/noisy bearing @ 104Kmi and got socked for for ~ $900.

Both Acura Care and Acura Client (non) Relations were of no help as the 8year/120Kmi Acura care had expired a year ago.

I have two more MDX's in service, and do not want to be whacked again twice more just because Acura's "precision crafted performance" does not necessarily extend to making simple steel parts and bearings last very long?

Is there any preventive maintenance for this?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly.

My local mechanic's disbelief turned to amusement noting that this is on an Acura. My amusement stopped when I heard the bill, as Acura will only sell the entire prop-shaft assembly.

But neither the Acura dealership's service advisor nor Acura Client Relations appeared to be fazed by this - which suggests that Acura likely received bad batch of bearings or Ujoints, and they're just hoping that owners will only notice the increasingly louder high-pitched hissing after the power-train warranty has expired.

I suppose I'm lucky that it is not the transmission or the SHAWD itself.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mind recently was failing (center bearing was binding, rear was shot), had a weird vibration. Have an aftermarket market warranty, so cost me $50 out of pocket for replacement. Have a 13' Advance with 98k at time of service.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
>> ... center bearing was binding, rear was shot
> ... 13' Advance with 98k at time of service
Were they able to inspect this without a teardown, before replacement?

Having Acura inspect this just before the expiration of the powertrain warranty may be the sensible option if possible.

·
Registered
41 Posts
>> ... center bearing was binding, rear was shot

Were they able to inspect this without a teardown, before replacement?

Having Acura inspect this just before the expiration of the powertrain warranty may be the sensible option if possible.
Yes, I was having the rear shocks replaced under warranty and mentioned my odd vibration. They noticed it was shot when they had it on the lift, so no need to remove it first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts