Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Correct, but they are not required to do so if that is their particular business model. The OP could however ask another Honda dealer what they could offer. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct, but they are not required to do so if that is their particular business model. The OP could however ask another Honda dealer what they could offer. YMMV

I would expect that honda dealers in areas with no Acura dealers nearby would or are required to do the programming and service on Acura Vehicles. There are some large area states that have no or very few acura dealers but a mulititude of Honda dealers. In areas with a nearby local Acura dealer, I can see Acura or honda dealers not providing non warranty service to the other brand. Locally their is an Acura dealer within a few blocks of a Honda dealer. In that case, yes I can see the Honda/Acura dealer not doing some of the non warranty work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would expect that honda dealers in areas with no Acura dealers nearby would or are required to do the programming and service on Acura Vehicles. There are some large area states that have no or very few acura dealers but a mulititude of Honda dealers. In areas with a nearby local Acura dealer, I can see Acura or honda dealers not providing non warranty service to the other brand. Locally their is an Acura dealer within a few blocks of a Honda dealer. In that case, yes I can see the Honda/Acura dealer not doing some of the non warranty work.
Sure, but what we might expect might not actually apply in a particular area.

The OP needs to share his zip code so we can assist.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We are not required to do any Acura work, and can't do any Acura warranty work. However, seems like a bad decision to turn away non warranty Acura customers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
We are not required to do any Acura work, and can't do any Acura warranty work. However, seems like a bad decision to turn away non warranty Acura customers.
Are there acura dealers within reasonable distance? If there are I can see why not doing warranty work. If the nearest Acura dealer is 400+ miles away and a honda dealer in town another case. Personally if I had to have my acura flatbed towed or have to drive 400+ miles to an acura dealer because the local honda dealerre refused to do warranty work, I'd not be a very happy camper! There are lots of midwest states where acura dealers are rare as hens teeth, while honda dealers are a dime a dozen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's part of the dealer agreement, Honda dealer can't do Acura warranty, Acura can't do Honda warranty. We can't even order Acura parts, we have to buy them from an Acura dealer. You would have to have your Acura towed 400 miles for warranty work if that was the closest dealer. Your Honda would can't do it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's part of the dealer agreement, Honda dealer can't do Acura warranty, Acura can't do Honda warranty. We can't even order Acura parts, we have to buy them from an Acura dealer. You would have to have your Acura towed 400 miles for warranty work if that was the closest dealer. Your Honda would can't do it.
this is interesting. Unless the policy has changed recently, any GM dealership can do warranty work on any GM vehicle. GM even advertizes as such. So if I have trouble with my GMC and there is a chevy dealership closer, they can do the warranty or normal service work. And at least a few years ago, Toyota dealerships (at least some) would do warranty work on Lexus. Wonder why Honda is so hung up on who can do warranty and service work. It doesn't make very good business sense or customer relations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We are a multi line dealer, and yes, gm can do all warranty across the lines except some Cadillac and vette stuff. Toyota/Lexus is on a case by case basis. I agree it's a poor decision on Honda's part to leave the Acura customers out in the cold. We can do service work, just not warranty work, and are on our own for parts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
this is interesting. Unless the policy has changed recently, any GM dealership can do warranty work on any GM vehicle. GM even advertizes as such. So if I have trouble with my GMC and there is a chevy dealership closer, they can do the warranty or normal service work. And at least a few years ago, Toyota dealerships (at least some) would do warranty work on Lexus. Wonder why Honda is so hung up on who can do warranty and service work. It doesn't make very good business sense or customer relations.
There is no such thing as one size fits all in business.

·
Registered
130 Posts
There is no such thing as one size fits all in business.

agreed. But Lexus, Acura, Infinity, have many areas where it is a LONG way to the dealer but a Toyota, Honda or Nissan dealership close by that could provide most warranty work and service. Makes good business sense and customer relations to do that. If you look at Acura dealership locations there are only a few (in some cases none) in many states. When traveling, you could be 400-600 miles from a acura dealer but have a local honda dealer within miles. When my folks in Montana had a Lexus recall, they didn't have to drive 400 miles to spokane to get the work done, just a few miles away to the local Toyota dealership. When I had a minor warranty issue on my Chevy silverado while traveling in eastern oregon, the local GMC/Buick dealership did the work no questions asked. When my onstar unit failed on my GMC while in San Diego the nearby Chevy dealer fixed it no questions asked.

·
Registered
55 Posts
agreed. But Lexus, Acura, Infinity, have many areas where it is a LONG way to the dealer but a Toyota, Honda or Nissan dealership close by that could provide most warranty work and service. Makes good business sense and customer relations to do that. If you look at Acura dealership locations there are only a few (in some cases none) in many states. When traveling, you could be 400-600 miles from a acura dealer but have a local honda dealer within miles. When my folks in Montana had a Lexus recall, they didn't have to drive 400 miles to spokane to get the work done, just a few miles away to the local Toyota dealership. When I had a minor warranty issue on my Chevy silverado while traveling in eastern oregon, the local GMC/Buick dealership did the work no questions asked. When my onstar unit failed on my GMC while in San Diego the nearby Chevy dealer fixed it no questions asked.
I would argue that Honda/Acura have already run the numbers diligently to ascertain the ideal preferred decision for their business model. The overall numbers of owners who are 500 miles away is probably insignificant enough, at least partially, to ensure that average profit per visit is not seriously affected.

Comparing with GM in reality makes little sense.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would argue that Honda/Acura have already run the numbers diligently to ascertain the ideal preferred decision for their business model. The overall numbers of owners who are 500 miles away is probably insignificant enough, at least partially, to ensure that average profit per visit is not seriously affected.

Comparing with GM in reality makes little sense.

In terms of buyers I'd agree most are very close to an Acura dealer. But where do they travel to? We travel to Idaho, Montana, Utah, Eastern Oregon and the Dakotas mutiple times each year. And on those travels if we where to have trouble, finding an Acura dealer nearby is virtually impossible. Per the Acura website, Montana has NO dealers, Idaho has one in Boise, Utah has two near Salt Lake, ND, SD have none. Eastern Washington has one in Spokane. Even Oregon is sparce on dealers unless your in the I-5 coridor.So if you run into any trouble on the road, I guess it's be prepared to convince a Honda dealer to do some work, or plan on limping 400+ miles to get some work done.

So if your out traveling and need work done, especially something that would be warranty coverage, better hope a local honda dealer will step in and come to your rescue if need be.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In terms of buyers I'd agree most are very close to an Acura dealer. But where do they travel to? We travel to Idaho, Montana, Utah, Eastern Oregon and the Dakotas mutiple times each year. And on those travels if we where to have trouble, finding an Acura dealer nearby is virtually impossible. Per the Acura website, Montana has NO dealers, Idaho has one in Boise, Utah has two near Salt Lake, ND, SD have none. Eastern Washington has one in Spokane. Even Oregon is sparce on dealers unless your in the I-5 coridor.So if you run into any trouble on the road, I guess it's be prepared to convince a Honda dealer to do some work, or plan on limping 400+ miles to get some work done.

So if your out traveling and need work done, especially something that would be warranty coverage, better hope a local honda dealer will step in and come to your rescue if need be.
Nope. If you are that far from civilization and your Acura breaks down, you find an auto transport firm to provide you with a quote for shipping it back to an acura dealership you are comfortable with doing such work. That is life.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Nope. If you are that far from civilization and your Acura breaks down, you find an auto transport firm to provide you with a quote for shipping it back to an acura dealership you are comfortable with doing such work. That is life.

If under warranty,they will tow or carry to the nearest dealer. Wherever that may be. An auto transport company will usually not take a car that can’t move on it’s own.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If under warranty,they will tow or carry to the nearest dealer. Wherever that may be. An auto transport company will usually not take a car that can’t move on it’s own.
In the real world, this works differently. If my mdx breaks down in south dakota, I’m not going to take it to minnesota for service if I live in Chicago. My local dealer of choice will do such work.

Your final comment about auto transport companies is a bit of a head scratcher. You mean to tell me you have never had a dead vehicle moved on a flatbed for transport(?) Really silly, basic stuff being discussed here.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
In the real world, this works differently. If my mdx breaks down in south dakota, I’m not going to take it to minnesota for service if I live in Chicago. My local dealer of choice will do such work.

Your final comment about auto transport companies is a bit of a head scratcher. You mean to tell me you have never had a dead vehicle moved on a flatbed for transport(?) Really silly, basic stuff being discussed here.

I ship my car to and from Florida from Illinois. They will not accept a car that can’t move by itself. Of course you can transport a disabled vehicle. If I break down ,I’m not paying $1,000 to have it shipped to Chicago. I will take the free tow to wherever they can go.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I ship my car to and from Florida from Illinois. They will not accept a car that can’t move by itself. Of course you can transport a disabled vehicle. If I break down ,I’m not paying $1,000 to have it shipped to Chicago. I will take the free tow to wherever they can go.
There is a difference between an auto transport co. And the towing companies.

·
Registered
130 Posts

There is a difference between an auto transport co. And the towing companies.

ever seen a car transport carrier? They drive the cars on and off the ramps, 6 or 8 or more cars/carrier. They have no way to put a non driveable car on or off the carrier. A friend used to drive a transport carrier. Cars must be fully driveable.

That's different than a flatbed tow. Once car winched up on a tilting flatbed it's off to a close by repair shop.

But transporting any distance this way is going to be WAY more expensive than a transport carrier which makes their money transporting running vehicles around the country.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Actually,it was interesting to watch when they picked up my car. They apparently have to manage the weight distribution. So they are sometimes actually taking cars off to move a different car up front for example.

·
Registered
55 Posts
ever seen a car transport carrier? They drive the cars on and off the ramps, 6 or 8 or more cars/carrier. They have no way to put a non driveable car on or off the carrier. A friend used to drive a transport carrier. Cars must be fully driveable.

That's different than a flatbed tow. Once car winched up on a tilting flatbed it's off to a close by repair shop.

But transporting any distance this way is going to be WAY more expensive than a transport carrier which makes their money transporting running vehicles around the country.
It cost a friend $1800 to transport his dead Jaguar back to Chicago from Texas via flatbed. This took many calls/quotes to find one available inside his narrow schedule window. He could have had it shipped for less via a car transport firm on a rig which accommodated multiple vehicles and had winching capability (small surcharge for this). It also took a bit of calling to find one with extra winch. Anyway, that did not work since it would have meant a 2 week delay. This stuff rarely happens when it’s convenient.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts