Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I just got a 2018 MDX and wanted to get recommendations on products to keep the inside clean (dash, center console, leather seats, etc) and also products to keep the outside looking nice between washers. Wiping off dirt, etc? And then rims and tires. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Much of my life I have been a car guy. There was a point in time where I would wash my vehicle three or four times a week. I would even wax my door jambs. ( yes I was single at the time )
I recently discovered "Those Chemical Guys" products and have been very impressed and pleased so far.
There are TONS of options out there, "Those Chemical Guys" are just what I recommend. I am not going to claim product A is any better than product B. I am sure at the end of the day all are similar enough that the end result will be pretty much the same.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much of my life I have been a car guy. There was a point in time where I would wash my vehicle three or four times a week. I would even wax my door jambs. ( yes I was single at the time )
I recently discovered "Those Chemical Guys" products and have been very impressed and pleased so far.
There are TONS of options out there, "Those Chemical Guys" are just what I recommend. I am not going to claim product A is any better than product B. I am sure at the end of the day all are similar enough that the end result will be pretty much the same.
thanks. My dealership suggested them also. Any suggestions on which of their products are good to get? We have 3 kids and a life so I for sure won't be washing my car several times a week. Lol. Once a month would be great!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Get a good paint correction and ceramic coating...makes cleaning much easier.

·
Registered
2014 Acura MDX Tech SH-AWD
4 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
You can get mild to wild on the amount of time and money you can spend on car care. I did paint correction, PPF on front half of my MDX, ceramic coating on the rest, hand wash only with ceramic booster soap and the two bucket method with microfiber mitt, and dry with microfiber towel. I purchased my 18 RLX CPO and did the paint correction and wrapped the entire vehicle in PPF. The RLX had soooo many long spiderweb scratches in the paint before correction (probably from mechanical drive thru car washes). Anything that touches the paint has the potential of scratching the clear-coat. Touchless car washes work best if you have to use them; but, more clear coat damage can occur if they/you hand dry with regular towels afterwards.

What works for me in the interior was adding all weather mats. Keeps the interior cleaner, no more odd old car smells from musty carpets, and spotless clean up only takes a quick shake and a wet towel. I would even do the cargo tray for the rear. I had a few accidents and the cargo tray saved me hours of clean up. I find just routine wipping down of the interior with fresh water with a little car soap and microfiber once a month really helps. Helps removes any dirt, dust, oily build up, any old leather conditioners, and helps cut down some of that interior window haze (do the windows first).

I live in the southwest and see a few +14 MDXs that are already getting LED headlight haze. If you are going to keep your MDX for a long time, check into doing a protective film with UV blocking capabilities for the LEDs if you MDX is stuck outside. It only takes a little bit of haze to start to reduce the effectiveness of the LED headlights.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You can get mild to wild on the amount of time and money you can spend on car care. I did paint correction, PPF on front half of my MDX, ceramic coating on the rest, hand wash only with ceramic booster soap and the two bucket method with microfiber mitt, and dry with microfiber towel. I purchased my 18 RLX CPO and did the paint correction and wrapped the entire vehicle in PPF. The RLX had soooo many long spiderweb scratches in the paint before correction (probably from mechanical drive thru car washes). Anything that touches the paint has the potential of scratching the clear-coat. Touchless car washes work best if you have to use them; but, more clear coat damage can occur if they/you hand dry with regular towels afterwards.

What works for me in the interior was adding all weather mats. Keeps the interior cleaner, no more odd old car smells from musty carpets, and spotless clean up only takes a quick shake and a wet towel. I would even do the cargo tray for the rear. I had a few accidents and the cargo tray saved me hours of clean up. I find just routine wipping down of the interior with fresh water with a little car soap and microfiber once a month really helps. Helps removes any dirt, dust, oily build up, any old leather conditioners, and helps cut down some of that interior window haze (do the windows first).

I live in the southwest and see a few +14 MDXs that are already getting LED headlight haze. If you are going to keep your MDX for a long time, check into doing a protective film with UV blocking capabilities for the LEDs if you MDX is stuck outside. It only takes a little bit of haze to start to reduce the effectiveness of the LED headlights.
Thanks mrgold35, now I understand what paint correction is. I recently bought a 2016 white and noticed surface scratches from carwash. Not sure how much a paint correction would cost but will explore.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Thanks mrgold35, now I understand what paint correction is. I recently bought a 2016 white and noticed surface scratches from carwash. Not sure how much a paint correction would cost but will explore.
Buffing out the micro scratches is the most time consuming part of ceramic coating or PPF. Installers will probably charge more if the paint is really bad (can see the damage easier on darker colors compared to lighter). Paint correction and mostly touchless care routine afterward (foam cannon/2 bucket wash/microfiber) will help keep the glass like shine longer. Adding ceramic coating or PPF with ceramic coating adds another layer of protection.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The car care shelf in my garage is crammed with assorted waxes, polishes, sealants from Collinite, Meguiars, Chemical Guys, Optimum, Klasse,... So, being an obvious car care products junkie, I couldn't resist checking out the Turtle Wax products after reading this post, Turtle wax hybrid ceramic and other reviews.

TLDR: The Turtle Wax Hybrid products have far exceeded my expectations. The spray bottle ICE Seal N Shine and Ceramic Spray coating are dirt simple to use and a little bit goes a long ways. Given their relatively low price point, they are a great value and the closest thing to a no brainer "wax" that I've found. The Ceramic Polish and Wax is also highly recommended for older finishes that need a little more work.

Last April, my driveway kept MDX got a detergent wash, followed with TW ICE Seal N Shine. The SNS was easy to apply and the shine was really good - the kind you notice when seeing it next to other cars in a parking lot. Next, was my never garaged 2005 F150, starting to show its age. It got a strong detergent wash and subsequent prep with a Nanoskin Autoscrub mitt (similar to claying). After this, TW Ceramic Polish and Wax was applied with an orbital polisher, using microfiber pads. Again, great gloss/shine, even on 15 year old paint. Our garage kept 2001 Audi got a basic, with Optimum Car Wash cleaning, then the TW Ceramic Spray coating.

Both outdoor vehicles were still super glossy and easily beading water in August, when they got a post wash touch up using the Ceramic Spray coating. In October, both vehicles got a basic wash, then another coat of the ICE SNS. The Audi got only a light wash, as the shine/gloss was still sufficient to see the details of the ceiling light fixtures in the reflection.

It's now mid-January and the shine on all vehicles is still "just like new". For the outdoor vehicles, it was surprisingly easy to push off a few inches of wet, heavy snow (it almost slid off the hood on its own). I haven't had to deal much with road salt this winter, so can't say how the coatings do at releasing winter grit and grime.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The car care shelf in my garage is crammed with assorted waxes, polishes, sealants from Collinite, Meguiars, Chemical Guys, Optimum, Klasse,... So, being an obvious car care products junkie, I couldn't resist checking out the Turtle Wax products after reading this post, Turtle wax hybrid ceramic and other reviews.

TLDR: The Turtle Wax Hybrid products have far exceeded my expectations. The spray bottle ICE Seal N Shine and Ceramic Spray coating are dirt simple to use and a little bit goes a long ways. Given their relatively low price point, they are a great value and the closest thing to a no brainer "wax" that I've found. The Ceramic Polish and Wax is also highly recommended for older finishes that need a little more work.

Last April, my driveway kept MDX got a detergent wash, followed with TW ICE Seal N Shine. The SNS was easy to apply and the shine was really good - the kind you notice when seeing it next to other cars in a parking lot. Next, was my never garaged 2005 F150, starting to show its age. It got a strong detergent wash and subsequent prep with a Nanoskin Autoscrub mitt (similar to claying). After this, TW Ceramic Polish and Wax was applied with an orbital polisher, using microfiber pads. Again, great gloss/shine, even on 15 year old paint. Our garage kept 2001 Audi got a basic, with Optimum Car Wash cleaning, then the TW Ceramic Spray coating.

Both outdoor vehicles were still super glossy and easily beading water in August, when they got a post wash touch up using the Ceramic Spray coating. In October, both vehicles got a basic wash, then another coat of the ICE SNS. The Audi got only a light wash, as the shine/gloss was still sufficient to see the details of the ceiling light fixtures in the reflection.

View attachment 116092

It's now mid-January and the shine on all vehicles is still "just like new". For the outdoor vehicles, it was surprisingly easy to push off a few inches of wet, heavy snow (it almost slid off the hood on its own). I haven't had to deal much with road salt this winter, so can't say how the coatings do at releasing winter grit and grime.
Thank you - what do you use to clean your interior? I have the chemical guys cleaner that cleans all of the inside (screens, trim, etc.)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I used the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic wax with similar results as Turtle Ceramic wax. I found the Meguiar's works equally as well on black plastic (engine bay and exterior), exterior glass, and side mirrors.

·
Registered
103 Posts
what do you use to clean your interior?
Light soapy water and cheap (Costco) microfiber towels for cleaning and drying most surfaces. Invisible Glass for windows.

Once per year: Optimum Protectant Plus for vinyl surfaces; light application of Leather CPR or Leather Afterlife for seats and other leather surfaces.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts