Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a list of problems I have emailed the dealership service department about. If anyone is having similar annoying problems.... your welcomed and asked to post a reply. Waiting on a response from the dealership and will post any replies I get.... Here they are:

When I first got the vehicle I noticed a low/deep pitched rumble noise comming from the rear of the vehicle when the vehicle is at speeds between 55 and 70. I hear it most at 65mph. It does not matter if I have it in D5 or D4 or if I am accelerating or not as it's a constant noise. I hear it upon acceleration up past 65 where it will quiet down and from deceleration lets say from 75. Does your dealership have any experience with such a noise?

This 2nd problem does not happen very often and it would be hard to replicate. Ever so often, my transmission will get crossed between what seems to be 4th and 5th gear if I am traveling at just the right speed (~55) and low RPM and it jerks between gears rappidly (5-6times) like it can't make its mind up. Are there any type of adjustments that can be made on these transmissions that could easily fix this?

In the AM on a cold engine, I experience a very noticeable cylical surging every 1 second. I ocassionally experience this cyclical surging even when the vehicle is warmed up. This surging can be felt, heard and also seen by viewing the rpm meter? It is like fuel is being delivered in surges.

·
Registered
763 Posts
waylan, not sure about #1, but 2 and 3 seem familiar.

Do a search on gear hunting. I believe this D4/D5 issue has been discussed. Doubt it's a problem your dealer will be willing and able to "fix"

Surges have also been discussed. Not just on startup, but also while driving and stopping at traffic light/stop sign.

Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course... I never recieved a reply from the dealership... to be expected... Don't know why the advertise an email address if their not going to reply. The website states that if I don't get a response to call the owner of the franchise of dealerships directly...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
waylan said:
Of course... I never recieved a reply from the dealership... to be expected... Don't know why the advertise an email address if their not going to reply. The website states that if I don't get a response to call the owner of the franchise of dealerships directly...
I would contact them immediately especially for item No. 2.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
waylan said:
Here is a list of problems I have emailed the dealership service department about. If anyone is having similar annoying problems.... your welcomed and asked to post a reply. Waiting on a response from the dealership and will post any replies I get.... Here they are:

When I first got the vehicle I noticed a low/deep pitched rumble noise comming from the rear of the vehicle when the vehicle is at speeds between 55 and 70. I hear it most at 65mph. It does not matter if I have it in D5 or D4 or if I am accelerating or not as it's a constant noise. I hear it upon acceleration up past 65 where it will quiet down and from deceleration lets say from 75. Does your dealership have any experience with such a noise?

This 2nd problem does not happen very often and it would be hard to replicate. Ever so often, my transmission will get crossed between what seems to be 4th and 5th gear if I am traveling at just the right speed (~55) and low RPM and it jerks between gears rappidly (5-6times) like it can't make its mind up. Are there any type of adjustments that can be made on these transmissions that could easily fix this?

In the AM on a cold engine, I experience a very noticeable cylical surging every 1 second. I ocassionally experience this cyclical surging even when the vehicle is warmed up. This surging can be felt, heard and also seen by viewing the rpm meter? It is like fuel is being delivered in surges.
Don't email, go in person to the dealer and speak with manager!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Of course, if you have the time to stop by the dealership and speak with the service manager that would be a good idea - however, if your time is precious, and you don't want to waste a trip to the dealership just to speak with them and to ultimately make an appointment to come back, then I suggest you call the owner and let them know that you have been ignored. You will certainly get a response then -- if not, maybe you should contact Acura.....

On the other hand, if you are actually interested in getting the problems fixed, call the service department to make an appointment! Why go there twice?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
e-business & "problems"

First, on the e-business thing: I worked for the biggest proponent of e-business & even they did NOT 'get' ALOT of the mindset that HAS to go along with "e". THE WHOLE IDEA of e-mail is that it is supposed to be REALLY REALLY FAST! If you send somebody email with PROBLEMS and it goes unacknowledged you can pretty much assume they "just don't get it" -- there are PLENTY of ither things about "e" that I could go into great detail about, but I'll spare you for now...

The first noise seems tire related, in order to diagnose it, swap out your wheels & tire for other set(s) at the dealer. If it goes away with other BRAND (you didn't say if you have Touring) then you may want to switch...

Second problem is almost certainly a rough disengaging Lock-up Torque Converter. Not too much to adjust this, just have 'em check/verify that's what your feeling. It should not be a concern as this will not affect the performance/lifespan of any part of the vehicle, though I will admit it can be annoying. SOMETIMES it gets better with age, as the feel is caused by how 'hard' the torque converter lock-up engages, and over time the parts may mesh together better...

Third thing is just the way the Honda computer/emmission controls interact. I suppose they could've been programmed NOT to do this BUT it will result in best economy & lowest emmissions. If an aftermarket chip/computer becomes available I would guess it would be programmed to avoid this...

WOW that took me all of 5 minutes -- think that talking to "the owner" about getting his people on the "e" stick is worth it??

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Re: e-business & "problems"

renov8r said:
First, on the e-business thing: I worked for the biggest proponent of e-business & even they did NOT 'get' ALOT of the mindset that HAS to go along with "e". THE WHOLE IDEA of e-mail is that it is supposed to be REALLY REALLY FAST! If you send somebody email with PROBLEMS and it goes unacknowledged you can pretty much assume they "just don't get it" -- there are PLENTY of ither things about "e" that I could go into great detail about, but I'll spare you for now...

The first noise seems tire related, in order to diagnose it, swap out your wheels & tire for other set(s) at the dealer. If it goes away with other BRAND (you didn't say if you have Touring) then you may want to switch...

Second problem is almost certainly a rough disengaging Lock-up Torque Converter. Not too much to adjust this, just have 'em check/verify that's what your feeling. It should not be a concern as this will not affect the performance/lifespan of any part of the vehicle, though I will admit it can be annoying. SOMETIMES it gets better with age, as the feel is caused by how 'hard' the torque converter lock-up engages, and over time the parts may mesh together better...

Third thing is just the way the Honda computer/emmission controls interact. I suppose they could've been programmed NOT to do this BUT it will result in best economy & lowest emmissions. If an aftermarket chip/computer becomes available I would guess it would be programmed to avoid this...

WOW that took me all of 5 minutes -- think that talking to "the owner" about getting his people on the "e" stick is worth it??
When it comes to Acura Face to Face with a manager or regional is the only way to be taken seriously and get fast results!!!!
Email you are just letters and numbers, face to face you are a special customer. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I do get results that way. And it all comes down to the final results!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts