Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 MDX and my check engine light has come on and the display shows a "Problem with Emissions System". I have taken the car into the dealership and that did a diagnostic. I don't have the exact codes but they were "fuel lean for banks 1 and bank 2". The dealership recommended a fuel system cleaning which I paid for only to have the light come back on and the message reappear the next morning.
The dealership is not sure what the problem is and they are operating on the lets try this method which I am adverse to because I have to pay for each try. They have stated that they would like to replace the fuel injectors next. Im coming here to see if anyone else has had this issue and might have an idea of whats going on before I spend more money trying to diagnose the problem. Any information you guys have would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
You don't any of the new vehicle or powertrain warranty left? Seems odd...

You can always check prices with an independent shop that specializes in Hondas, as they tend to have much better prices. But the lack of warranty on a 2014 seems odd.

I'm guessing their initial treatment was just Techron or other fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank and then they drove your vehicle around at higher revs. They're on the right path though it seems.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Not saying this would resolve your issue. but it can help you with understanding how it works and what other components rely on it.

Regarding the code. If the dealer did hook up your car to their computer. Then they would have recorded the code on the invoice as the tech would list his findings for the record. I'd take a look at the invoice and share the code here.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
You don't any of the new vehicle or powertrain warranty left? Seems odd...

You can always check prices with an independent shop that specializes in Hondas, as they tend to have much better prices. But the lack of warranty on a 2014 seems odd.

I'm guessing their initial treatment was just Techron or other fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank and then they drove your vehicle around at higher revs. They're on the right path though it seems.
The standard warranty is 50,000 miles. It could very well be out of the standard warranty. The powertrain should still be in effect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sorry its taken me so long to get back.

The Codes are P0171 and P0174. Those are the only codes that were pulled. I purchased the vehicle used with more miles for a really good price and it is not my primary driver so low miles from myself. I have currently 73,000 miles on the vehicle and the service guy did say that because its so close to the warranty period that if it was an expensive repair that they would petition for a warranty extension and it would probably be approved.

So knowing that the fuel injection cleaning did not work would you guys recommend replacing the fuel injectors?

the service guy did originally tell me that they were going to replace the PCV valve because that was usually the problem with the codes and that repair was the recommended course of action in their repair manual. He called me back later in the day to tell me that they decided to cancel the order and wanted to try the fuel injection cleaning instead. So I guess im struggling with what I should ask for to be done to my vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 MDX
209 Posts
I usually google codes for help. Here is a result to consider, although it likely pertains to the older (non-DI) V6:

http://www.autocodes.com/p0171_acura.html

Cut and pasted:

If the P0171 is combined with the P0174 code, it's very likely that the problem is caused by an intake leak. If there are no intake leaks, the next step is to replaced the air filter and clean the air flow meter. If the problem persist the front oxygen (O2) sensor may need to be replaced.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sorry its taken me so long to get back.

The Codes are P0171 and P0174. Those are the only codes that were pulled. I purchased the vehicle used with more miles for a really good price and it is not my primary driver so low miles from myself. I have currently 73,000 miles on the vehicle and the service guy did say that because its so close to the warranty period that if it was an expensive repair that they would petition for a warranty extension and it would probably be approved.

So knowing that the fuel injection cleaning did not work would you guys recommend replacing the fuel injectors?

the service guy did originally tell me that they were going to replace the PCV valve because that was usually the problem with the codes and that repair was the recommended course of action in their repair manual. He called me back later in the day to tell me that they decided to cancel the order and wanted to try the fuel injection cleaning instead. So I guess im struggling with what I should ask for to be done to my vehicle.
i'd try to clear the codes (Autozone or Advance Auto Parts can do it for you or you yourself do it) and see if it returns.

From what ive scavenged the net (forums); folks have tryied either to clean the O2 sensor on bank 2 (P0174) or replace the O2 sensor bank 2 altogether to see if that helps.

other posts say to do a valve adjustment as that might cause bad gas & air mixture to trigger the codes(?).

anyway, doesnt seem there's a right answer here.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Ahhh yeah P0174... history has required me to change the O2 sensor (if cleaning doesn't work), but there may be a "upstream" issue causing it to occur so early. Things like MAF sensor may need cleaning and I would definitely change out the PCV at least first (it's very easy and should be very similar to the older generation PCV valves where you just pull it out of the engine after undoing one bolt, then shake to see if it's clogged). Rule of thumb is just to start from the cheapest thing first and work your way up. Like manera mentioned, I would clear the codes (helpful if you just have your own OBDII device) after each "fix" and see if it reappears. You are getting close to valve adjustment time (100k), but you've got a good chunk of miles left, so I don't think that would be necessary yet. These things you can do yourself too, so the dealer can't go about changing things left and right to make a buck off of you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.