Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In addition to the other posts re mirrors etc I have had the following warranty work done on my 01 MDX ( Delivered Sept 11).
I have had the CD Player replaced three times. Each re install occured about one month after the last exchange. Each time all six CDs were stuck in the player. This shows Acura have a QA problem with the CD Player OEMed in their MDX. Watch your odometer, extended warranty does not cover the CD, tape or computer.

On Saturday my transmission unexpectedly became toast. Driving up a hill in cruise control; revved up to 6000 rpm and down again, re engaged and limped up the hill. I stopped at the nearest gas station to investigate and had lost my reverse gear. I just got off the phone with the dealership and was told there are NO REPLACEMENT TRANSMISSIONS IN NORTH AMERICA! I now will have to wait ten days for a shipment of transmissions from Japan. Time to dump this MDX???:3:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
NVanMDX,

What is your mileage? Do you ever tow anything with your X?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
50,000 km is approx 35000 mi. Never towed anything and also have the towing package installed. Getting the impression from reading the threads on transmissions in MDX and Odessey that there is a recurring problem with Honday/Acura transmission, ie under specified for the size of vehicles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi there,
Got 54,000Km on my 2001. No problems regarding the tranny until that point, but I didn't wait to find out. Traded for 2003 last week.

Most of my quality (or lack of) issues on the 2001 have been addressed on the 2003. Can floor it yet as it is broken in, but it feels much quicker and the suspension the overall solidity is much better.

Cheers,
J

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a similar problem driving my X on New Orleans. Tranny overheated and started burning the transmission oil. Got stuck on the middle of nowhere. Weather was about 99 degrees. I also had installed the transmission and steering coolers. What a joke. Dealer flushed new transmission fluid twice and said problem was "resolved". When asked if this was a common occurence on such a weather he reluctantly admitted that the X's trannys get way to hot on hot weather!!! I am turning my x tomorrow to the dealership as Honda of America is honoring my lemon law request. Will post more info on the disasterous experiences I had with the X and Accura's TLC "Total Lack of Care". I will not recommend this vehicle to my worst enemy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I will say the transmission is undersized for such vehicles. The MDX is the only vehicle being sold that needs extra coolers to tow anything. Arguably you can tow up to 2000 pounds without coolers but why then doesn't honda install a Hitch without forcing you to buy the coolers? It's called a half assed transmission or in the honda corporate language HAT.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The troubling part is that some of the posters have the additional AT coolers installed and they are still overheating :(

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
I think Acura should extend the tranny warranty for the 01 & 02's and when more data is avalable possibly the 03's.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
m2pc said:
The troubling part is that some of the posters have the additional AT coolers installed and they are still overheating :(
A cooler is to provide more margin during extending use like towing. It will do little to help a transmission that is on the way out. Maybe delay it a day, an hour, a minute?

That is why I will not use any ATF except what is recommended by Acura. If the transmission is headed to disaster why would I want to delay it, assuming I could.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my Trannie Problems

Just to clarify the situation:

Never Towed Anything. Only Interstate Five Driven since 2001.
Have the Towing Package installed - transmission cooler etc
50,000 trouble free driving until last Saturday. Revved upto 6000 RPM and then it re engaged but was obviously damaged. Investigarion found I had lost my Reverse gear. Dropped off at Acura dealership and got a service loaner.

Update today: After four phone calls to Acura Customer Care and the Dealer my new Trannie is on its way from the USA. ETA Vancouver is on Monday maybe. Squeeky wheel gets greased, if I didn't do anything, delivery of new trannie from Japan is 10 days.

·
Registered
128 Posts
hmm, thank you for your clarification, NVanMDX!
hope everything works out well!

i was actually curious on jeych's situation.
what happened, jeych?

·
Registered
3 Posts
NVanMDX,
In response to your original posting which started this thread, you say the extended warranty doesn't cover the CD, tape or computer. I'm holding the AcuraCare book in my hand, and it says 'Electronics - computers, electronic components and electrical systems. Genuine Acura Accessories - Audio, Cellular Phone, Navigational and Security Systems'.
Seems like the stuff is covered by the extended warranty.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
So far, so good..

12,500 miles in 9 months of ownership.

Normal mixed driving, one tow about 1000 lbs, 160 miles.

3 Dealer visits:

4300 miles: oil/filter change

7500 miles: oil/filter change & VTM fluid change, tire rotation.

12400 miles: oil/filter change

problems: occassional brake clicking (started at about 8000 miles).
occassional front end or dash click (so far none in 2003)

Oil: Mobil 1 5-30 Transmision: Honda Z-1 plus one dose of TechLube

1 - 16 of 16 Posts