Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I start my MDX, you can hear it take 4-6 attempts before catching and firing up.

Anyone else have this issue? I had my battery tested and it was fine so I am thinking my starter is going out, but my MDX is a 2012 that I have had less than 4 years (bought new in 10/12).

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I have an 11 Adv/Ent and just changed out my OEM battery last year. I didn't have an issue with it starting until I added a dashcam with parking mode. It would occasionally fail to start because of low power. When I started checking my battery with my battery maintainer with % reading. My OEM battery seemed to hover around 45-65% charge, even after a long drive. When I added the dashcam, it would dip as low as 35% and I would have issues starting and check charging system warnings. I never had long-term luck with Acura OEM 100 month batteries lasting more than 3-4 years in all three Acura vehicles. Your battery might test good; but, it might not be at its full volt/cranking amp potential.

I went all in and purchased an Interstate MT7-34R AGM battery. Zero issues with my dashcam and starting since install.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
At that age, I would also just change the battery. It's cheap and you'll probably need one before long anyway. Most modern vehicles can act quite odd if the voltage isn't just right when you turn the key.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Forget about testing battery, just replace it. The oem battery on mdx is just not that good. My 2011 mdx adv/ent had an oem battery with '13 sticker on it and three years later, '16, it develops leak on the top plus corrosion on the positive terminal. It looks like the oem battery is only good up to 3 years despite the 100-month warranty claims. Although it was leaking, my car didn't have trouble starting. I didn't take any chance so I replaced the battery with Bosch AGM with 35% off and free install from Pepboys. It has more cranking power and reserve power, and less expensive than the oem ($159). Oh, it looks way better than oem too.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an 11 Adv/Ent and just changed out my OEM battery last year. I didn't have an issue with it starting until I added a dashcam with parking mode. It would occasionally fail to start because of low power. When I started checking my battery with my battery maintainer with % reading. My OEM battery seemed to hover around 45-65% charge, even after a long drive. When I added the dashcam, it would dip as low as 35% and I would have issues starting and check charging system warnings. I never had long-term luck with Acura OEM 100 month batteries lasting more than 3-4 years in all three Acura vehicles. Your battery might test good; but, it might not be at its full volt/cranking amp potential.

I went all in and purchased an Interstate MT7-34R AGM battery. Zero issues with my dashcam and starting since install.

I had the battery tested at PepBoys and it was fine on cranking amps.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Another issue you might have is maybe a power draw somewhere and it is lowering the battery power (Bluetooth module)? Is it only a slow start after it sits for a while like after all day at work or over night? It still might be worth investing in a battery maintainer with % reading to check the battery levels at night and compare in the morning. It could also be the alternator not fully charging the battery and it might be stealing some power from the battery. This was the issue I had with my 08 RDX; but, the RDX would eventually die the longer you drove it.

Based on being an Acura owner and forum member for +10 years, it could be a 90% chance the crappy Acura OEM battery giving you a clear as day warning shot over the bow.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
It obviously has enough cranking amps or else the starter wouldn't turn. Also, the starter either works or it doesn't. If it's not skipping teeth while cranking, it's fine. Where you get oddities is if the ECM won't allow the car to start if it doesn't like all the voltage readings going to the various sensors/electronics. A battery may have enough CCA's to turn the starter but that doesn't mean it's giving steady enough voltage to appease the electronic gods elsewhere. I can't think of any reason you wouldn't change it. You'll spend more $$ diagnosing the problem and in the end, you'll need a new battery at some point anyway. Particularly in that part of the country.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If it is cranking but not starting, must be immobilizer... Known issue with Mdxes.... I had this problem before but it kind a fixed it self...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts