Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, the following list are the problems I've discovered with my new 2009 Acura MDX Elite and I'm hoping that you will have some insight into some of these. I will list them in the order of importance to me (most important first)

---

Problem 1: Nav screen backlight comes on, but nothing on the screen shows. I've tried pressing every button, knob, etc but the screen just stays black. I can see the glow of it come on at night, so I know the screen at least has power but nothing ever displays.

---

Problem 2: My CD drive is malfunctioning. When I first got it, I pressed Eject, to see of anything was on there, but all 6 discs spots were empty. So, I pressed Load, and put in one CD when the green light appeared. It tried to store it into slot 1 but it made a bunch of bad mechanical sounds like it wasn't working right. I pressed Eject and the red light blinks and the LCD shows "Eject" on it, but nothing ever comes out. I've tried to eject it multiple times since then, but it just makes bad mecahbical sounds and nothing comes out. I also cannot load anymore (no green light because it's still jacked up on disc 1 somehow). Here's a video of the behavior: youtu.be/DNN5xHz0p-A

---

Problem 3: None of the Bluetooth/Handsfree/Voice buttons do anything. Should this work separately from the Nav screen? Or do I have to get that working first before this will work?

---

Problem 4: The XM reception is much weaker and spotty (more static/cut outs) than my Gen 1 MDX (2005 Touring) that I just traded in. Is this a known thing with 2009 antennas? What can I do on this? The new one even cuts out sometimes when I'm completely on the open road, not near any bridges/buildings/other cars.

---

Problem 5: The Comfort mode indicates it's on in the info area of the dash, but I don't feel anything different from "Sport" mode when driving on rougher roads - still bounces all around. Also, the indicator light does not come on for the button under the gear shift.

---

Problem 6: "Tighten Fuel Cap" message is always on, even though I've removed the gas cap and retightened it until it clicked. Is there any way to clear this message out manually or reset a sensor somewhere in the gas cap well?

---

I paid $6,500 for this, so I still think I got a good deal even with these problems, but would just like to know how to fix these issues if I can (or how much they're going to cost to have them done, since I'm somewhat handy but not a mechanic by any means).

Thank you in advance!!!
Connor

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
I’m thinking you may have an issue with the nav unit itself, located under the driver seat with the blank screen. Perhaps there’s a cable unplugged that leads to the LCD?

The CD changer sounds fried to me, if it doesn’t accept or eject a disk it seems like it’s a dud...

The rest I don’t think I’d be much help for, but it sounds like an alright deal that you bought the car for!

Cheers! ~Connor

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m thinking you may have an issue with the nav unit itself, located under the driver seat with the blank screen. Perhaps there’s a cable unplugged that leads to the LCD?

The CD changer sounds fried to me, if it doesn’t accept or eject a disk it seems like it’s a dud...

The rest I don’t think I’d be much help for, but it sounds like an alright deal that you bought the car for!

Cheers! ~Connor
Thanks. I'll check the Nav unit under my seat. I've also seen some posts about sending the Nav unit into Alpine for reconditioning. Is that still a thing or something I need to do?

·
Registered
268 Posts

Cheers! ~Connor
Thanks. I'll check the Nav unit under my seat. I've also seen some posts about sending the Nav unit into Alpine for reconditioning. Is that still a thing or something I need to do?

You could try contacting alpine and seeing what they say, you never know. Maybe someone who knows better than I do would know?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the Nav unit and I don think it has power. I pressed the eject button for the drive and it didn't do anything. No sounds at all. So it either has no power or no disc. Not sure how to be sure.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Check fuses under the dashboard, see if the one for the nav has blown. Try replacing it, if it blows again, I think it’s safe to assume that the nav needs reconditioning

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check fuses under the dashboard, see if the one for the nav has blown. Try replacing it, if it blows again, I think it’s safe to assume that the nav needs reconditioning
Awesome, will Google for a fuse config diagram.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Can you explain that in baby English for me please? Thanks!

Are shocks still OEM or was installed with conventional aftermarket shocks. The OEM electronic shock cost about $1,000 EACH. You need to spend additional $5,000 to get comfort and sport ride! I think the previous owner installed cheap aftermarket shocks that is why when you pressed the comfort button makes no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Sounds like your navigation unit is dead. Very expensive to replace the unit. Are you a handyman and mechanical incline? If not time to open your wallet!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are shocks still OEM or was installed with conventional aftermarket shocks. The OEM electronic shock cost about $1,000 EACH. You need to spend additional $5,000 to get comfort and sport ride! I think the previous owner installed cheap aftermarket shocks that is why when you pressed the comfort button makes no difference.
Ahh, thank you. Yeah, I don't care much about the Comfort setting, based on what I paid for it, so I'll just mark that issue resolved, not worry about it then since it's not worth more than $500 investment in my mind. The car drives way smoother and quieter than my 2005 did, even with that not working, so I am happy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Which fuse would I check for the Nav power? I don't see Nav or DVD listed anywhere.

http://www.autogenius.info/acura-mdx-2009-2010-fuse-box-diagram/amp/

-Edit-
Found this for a 2002 MDX. Is it the same? "Passenger side, #9 - 15A. Front accessory socket."

-Edit 2-
#9 is Entertainment unit. Do they operate in the same fuse? The word "accessory" isn't even present in the 2009 fuse info. (They need to have marketing people write these, not mechanics.)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I’d say check t out, you never know. I’d think they could be related, but I don’t have an entertainment package. Give it a shot, nothing to lose!

·
Registered
354 Posts
---

Problem 6: "Tighten Fuel Cap" message is always on, even though I've removed the gas cap and retightened it until it clicked. Is there any way to clear this message out manually or reset a sensor somewhere in the gas cap well?

---

If this is not yet taken care of, I would start by verifying the O-Ring seal is in the base of the gas cap. Sometimes the o-ring is missing not allowing the gas tank to pressurize. If the O-Ring is there, verify it is capable of sealing, verify proper shape, kinks or cracks, replace it if necessary.

Reactions: ConnorTX

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’d say check t out, you never know. I’d think they could be related, but I don’t have an entertainment package. Give it a shot, nothing to lose!
Found another site that says it is #7 or #32, lol...I'll try/check them all I guess.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Found another site that says it is #7 or #32, lol...I'll try/check them all I guess.

Huh, well, might as well have a look at them all! And yes you should have a look at the gas cap oring, hopefully it’s missing and that’s the easiest fix out there!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I checked fuses 3, 9 and 32. My front cigarette lighter is also not working and that's fuse 9. If fuse 9 is fine, then why else would the cigarette lighter port not work?

·
Registered
268 Posts
There's a possibility of a bad wire, which would suck. I haven't needed to and hope to never have to trace wires that are super hidden (knock on wood) but in this case I'd say you should try searching for the wire leading to it under the dash and tracing it. Best case scenario it's easy to find, and hopefully it is!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts