Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2002 Silver Touring w/ Navi on wednesday here in suburban Philadelphia. I paid MSRP (but got ripped off a couple of hundred bucks on the cost of the running boards. Honda says they should be 636 but my dealer charged 841). The salesman told me that he'd heard "through the gravevine" that MSRP for the 2003s is going up "about $4,000 to $5,000." Supposedly this is because Honda wants some of the excess over MSRP that many dealers have been getting, but they don't want to make the dealers make too much less.


I haven't a clue if this rumor has any accuracy, but wanted to pass it along.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
I highly doubt they would raise prices that much. An increase of that sort is unheard of with Honda (Acura) of America. And since no one really knows for sure yet, I am guess price increases will stay around $1k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
May1stman said:
I bought a 2002 Silver Touring w/ Navi on wednesday here in suburban Philadelphia. I paid MSRP (but got ripped off a couple of hundred bucks on the cost of the running boards. Honda says they should be 636 but my dealer charged 841). The salesman told me that he'd heard "through the gravevine" that MSRP for the 2003s is going up "about $4,000 to $5,000." Supposedly this is because Honda wants some of the excess over MSRP that many dealers have been getting, but they don't want to make the dealers make too much less.


I haven't a clue if this rumor has any accuracy, but wanted to pass it along.
4k -5k it kind of smells like a white shoed salesman, that is more than10% bump, times still not that good out there. Acura would pretty foolish to pull that one. The fact that he hosed you on the running boards tells me that, this dealer is a Pirate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Pricing Rumor

BigDog said:


4k -5k it kind of smells like a white shoed salesman, that is more than10% bump, times still not that good out there. Acura would pretty foolish to pull that one. The fact that he hosed you on the running boards tells me that, this dealer is a Pirate.
Certainly could be. But he told me this after I'd bought it and paid for it. I couldn't wait for the 2003 and he knew it, so the pricing was more a curiosity to me than anything else.

I think 4k-5k sounds like a whole lot also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
Only way that would wash...

Would have been if Acura made HIDs and side-curtain airbags standard. Then they would have "more features for less money" than Volvo, Lexus, MB, and maybe BMW. Did not happen, so ain't no way they can go that far upmarket.
Sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
I call BS. 4-5K increase would put Acura in the large high end luxury class where it can not compete. Besides Acura is not know for this kind of price increase. My local Sacramento dealer suspected around a $500 increase at the most when I went in for a test drive last weekend. Souds to me like he was trying to scare you away from an 03' so he could sell you one of his remaining 02' he still had on the lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sandman1 said:
I call BS. 4-5K increase would put Acura in the large high end luxury class where it can not compete. Besides Acura is not know for this kind of price increase. My local Sacramento dealer suspected around a $500 increase at the most when I went in for a test drive last weekend. Souds to me like he was trying to scare you away from an 03' so he could sell you one of his remaining 02' he still had on the lot.
Look, I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I reject that logic. If Edmunds and others are correct, then the 2002 MDX is already selling for about 2-3K above MSRP on average. So if MSRP went up 4k, then it would really only price it at about 1-2k over where it's already selling for.

I haven't a clue if its true or not, and I've said it sounds like a lot to me. But the salesman wasn't trying to sell me. I never asked about pricing on the 03, just when they'd be out. When I was told I couldn't get one until Novemebr at the soonest, I said, fine I'll take an 02. I paid for it and was in the car with the saleman ready to drive away when he said " I just heard today that they're rasing the price 4-5k." That doesn't make the rumor any more likely, and it may well be wrong, but it wasn't a sales ploy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,266 Posts
Hi May1stman:

___I can only imagine this is BS but you never know since no one in the public domain has the MSRP or Invoice pricing as of this writing that I know of? There is simply to many other choices in the 45 – 50 K range to consider before the X IMHO. Acura will also have lost at least 1 sale if they were to raise the X’s price by even 2.5 %. I think they lost $2,000 with their choice of wheels on the 03 alone and the rest of the improvements are relatively minor. Engineering, yes … increase in price to manufacture, no. Except for the rain sensing wipers on the Touring but Acura had an exorbitant amount of profit built into the Touring Trim anyway.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,749 Posts
What suburban Philly dealer did you buy from?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,531 Posts
Ditto

BigDog said:
4k -5k ... that is more than10% bump ... Acura would pretty foolish to pull that one.
No manufacturer would pull 10+% price hike:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
No way 4K

My order for 03 SS w/ Navi was placed the other day. My salesman said a few hundred increase. I would imagine $400-800. He was right on in July with his info on the 260hp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Acura...

For 4~5k increase, IMHO, except for a major upgrade on the interior material, Acura will have to succeed in the major upgrade on the corporate/brand image, service quality, and customer satisfaction. :D

torchny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
I bet that price of the base model jumps $500... The NAVI with the rearview camera goes up to a $3k option and the touring package stays the same... Just an opinion like everyone else has.

I really like the NAVI, but do not know whether or not I would have paid the extra $3k for it... Now that I have it, I cannot live without it, so the answer would be yes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Price Increase won't be THAT much..

My sales guy told me they were expecting an increse in price between $800 and $1200 dollars when we put down a deposit on the 2003 MDX. I can't imagine them being off by such a huge amount bc then every person who no doubt asked them the same question would have been grossly misled and they would have some serious tempers flaring. Just my opinion- I realize that anything is possible but Acura knows that the only reason the MDX was ever seen as the greatest thing since sliced bread and hence why we were all lining up to buy one was Because of the low price. They aren't going to eliminate the Value factor which, from day one, was the best thing the MDX had going for it. Not to say it wouldn't be a nice car at any price but if they raised the price that much I would go buy an X5 simply because I am a BMW man and the only thing that could make me move to a japanese luxury company is a huge difference in price- which is what you have witht eh X5 and the MDX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Price Increase won't be THAT much..

GABulldawg said:
They aren't going to eliminate the Value factor which, from day one, was the best thing the MDX had going for it. Not to say it wouldn't be a nice car at any price but if they raised the price that much I would go buy an X5 simply because I am a BMW man and the only thing that could make me move to a japanese luxury company is a huge difference in price- which is what you have witht eh X5 and the MDX.
I'm a BMW guy also, but I need the extra seats, so the X5 is out. The Mercedez is a lousy vehicle; I know this because I have had one for three years and really hated it.

I'd be surprised if therumor is exactly right, but for the car I bought, with Touring and Navi, Iwouldn't be surprised if the MSRP goes up by 3ish. At 43K it would still be somewaht cheaper than the comparably equipped Volvo and a lot cheaper than the new intermediate Lexus.

I guess we'll all see soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Volvo Pricing

As a lark I went to the Volvo web site and priced the Volvo comparably equipped to my MDX with Touring and Navi. It came out to 45.6K.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Response to May1stman

I also am purchasing through Acura of Ardmore and the salesperson (Faz) told me when I was test driving the MDX that it can acheive 27 mpg on the highway. Obviously not true

Not an hour later at the Honda dealership, while test driving the Pilot, the salesperson emphaticaly told me the Pilot has a 3.5 liter engine while the MDX only has a 3.2 liter engine. Another obvious mistake.

Either these dealers are not brushed up on their facts or worse, they are purposely misleading the consumer. I tend to lean toward the first one but you never know
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,321 Posts
May1stman said:

If Edmunds and others are correct, then the 2002 MDX is already selling for about 2-3K above MSRP on average.
Not now, IMHO.

Nobody should be paying MSRP, let alone 2-3k above....ESPECIALLY after the press release yesterday....

Maybe back in January.

I'd say the salesman was just being nice (like, "I'll call you...") after that deal ;)

Ard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
Re: Response to May1stman

Hiker23 said:
I also am purchasing through Acura of Ardmore and the salesperson (Faz) told me when I was test driving the MDX that it can acheive 27 mpg on the highway. Obviously not true
Side note, unrelated to this discussion. 26-27 mpg is true! (not downhill all the time :D) Flat surfaces like NJ Tpke, at 55-60 mph produced 26+mpg for me!
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top