Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to ask the forum if anyone has information on price negotiations. Has anyone been able to get a discounted price on an MDX? Dealers say that I would be lucky to buy one without paying a premium, is that true. Has anyone paid below sticker?

Please reply or post.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
MSRP is the norm

Most of us paid full MSRP. A few (very few, like two or three people!) have negotiated ~$500 off MSRP. However there are a good number of us (me included) who got the dealer to throw in some freebie accessories (e.g. wheel locks, cargo cover & net, etc.).

There are quite a few who paid a premium above MSRP. I personally would not recommend going that route - there are too many dealers nationwide who'll sell at MSRP. The only reason I can think of to justify a premium is if it buys you a lot of time off the waiting list and no forced options. Even then I (its a personal principle thing) would NEVER pay above MSRP.

Good luck, most of us paid MSRP and waited ~3-4 months. Obviously there are exceptions to these norms and I'm sure you'll hear about them.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
I'll mirror msu79gt82 comments. I got my for MSRP no forced add-ons. had to put a 1K deposit in Jan and got mine 3 weeks ago, ahh still smells new.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
dave,

I am totally agreed with msu. Most of people paid MSRP for the "X". (Included myself :( )

And most time, the dealer will throw some free accessories if you ask. (Included myself again... :D :D )

It also depend where you are living, here, I have at least three acura dealers I can visit within 30~40 miles range.

Good luck on your purchase.!!

- JTM

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
MSRP IS NORMAL

IT'S ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO NEGIOTIATE. SOME DEALER WILL TELL YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR AND NEVER DELIVER THE CAR. I RECEIVED MY 2002 MDX IN NOVEMBER OF 2001 AND WAS FORCED TO PAY $1500 OVER MSRP IN NEW YORK STATE. FLORIDA AND SOME WARMER STATES ARE STARTING RIGHT AT MSRP WHICH IS GOOD. IN THE NORTEAST THEY START AT $2000 OVER AND GO FROM THERE. THE VEHICLE IS IN HIGH DEMAND AND THEY CANNOT PRODUCE ENOUGH TO SUPPLY THE PUBLIC.

·
Registered
285 Posts
dave-

try to get the sales person to throw in at least $500 worth of accessoires... use the acura website (build your own MDX) accessory price list as a reference... dealers often, if not always, bump up their accessory prices by 100%, if not much...

if you can't get them to throw in free accessories, then go for the MSRP without ANY optionals, including VIN etching, viehcle protection plan or extended warranties... you can get the accessories much cheaper at tim's hondaacuraworld.com, then install them either yourself or pay someone to do the installation...

good luck....

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
daveb,

The answer is "anything goes". Here in LA, some dealers:

Charge MSRP with some forced options [Like the dealer closest to where I live], deposit, waiting list, etc.

One in Fresno area wanted 1,000 + Forced options [had 4 in stock and available when I called!!].

Some in Orange County wanted MSRP + 2,000 [one dealer had 5 in stock for immediate delivery].

I bought mine at Metro Acura [MSRP, no options, great to work with]. Got it within 2 weeks of call to dealer.

... If you find NJ is "tight", call in metro Wash DC area [lots of dealers]. You might get lucky and it is not that far of a drive!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Price/Negotiation

I am picking up my MDX thsi Friday- May 10th. As you can imagine, I am excited and contemplating sleeping outside the ACura dealer for a few days!
FYI- I live in NYC and am buying my Silver Touring MDX in Connecticut. (one hour ride)
Here is my price and the accesories:

MDX Touring--------$37,800. (MHRP)
tow package-------- 670.
wood steer wheel-- 480.

dealer threw in the following accessories-no cost:
wood trim -speedometer
burlwood shifter
cargo cover
rear splash guards

TOTAL PRICE--------$38,950.

not bad- I have a friend who bought theTouring last year with a couple of accesories and spent $47K. needless to say- I am excited!
does anyone have any advice for me when i go pick up my son on friday?
should I ask for anything else to be thrown in? servicing? fixed door dings? has anyone had any luck asking for the these things?

·
Registered
285 Posts
sounds like a good deal to me.... congrat!!!

you should be able to get at least one free oil change... just ask for that, it's only $27.50 but free is always good... as long as you don't mind driving from NYC to the neighbouring state to do it...

ask also for free door ding repairs, i've heard someone got 90 days on that... i had a ding within a week and spent 60 bucks fixing it...

·
Registered
50 Posts
larryhot13

Congrats on your deal. Which dealer did you go to? and who is your salesman? I am trying to find a decent deal in NJ but dealers like Brunswick Acura who had 17 X on their lot, still had an attitude like take it or leave it. They are still talking not MSRP but 1-2K over it, and I don't want to pay a penny over MSRP. I can wait as I am in no rush, maybe after the Pilot, XC90, and soon GX470 hits the market the Acura dealers will come in their senses.

·
Registered
112 Posts
A little below MSRP...

is possible. I negotiated HARD for $500 under MSRP with rear mud flaps, cargo liner (full size), and wheel locks all thrown in. Boy - it hurt to not be able to negotiate further, but I think we got a great deal - after seeing what others were forced to do! Another good place to negotiate is with the extended warranty - stick to your guns with a lowball offer, tell them no thanks (when they say "that's the lowest we can go"), and they'll chase you to the door to close the deal.

hmmmmm......this is how I have always been with the price of the car...I guess that X was just too sweet!!;) :D :D Absolutely no regrets!!!:D :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
excellent dealer

FYI- I picked up my MDX Friday- Man is it nice- I dont thinkn there is anything on the road that I woould rather have.
Anyway- I had a great experience with Morande Acura in Connecticut, talk to Jerry Cantana- super nice guy that made the whole experience perfect.
Larry

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Good to hear

Best of luck! Be easy it's a new baby!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I got lucky based on timing- paid 300 under and free cargo cover, separation net, luggage net, mud flaps and locks. That was negotiated prior to the commercial release, though.

I get the sense that overall pricing is softening.
There was a link a week or two back on 'what did you pay' or something. Lots more under MSRP than there was a year ago.

Folks who are talking to dealers not willing to deal, who are you talking to? I always try to get past the sales floor, where they are looking out for their pocket. Often times the manager is more interested in keeping the metal moving.

Ard

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
ardvarkus said:
I got lucky based on timing- paid 300 under and free cargo cover, separation net, luggage net, mud flaps and locks. That was negotiated prior to the commercial release, though.

I get the sense that overall pricing is softening.
There was a link a week or two back on 'what did you pay' or something. Lots more under MSRP than there was a year ago.

Folks who are talking to dealers not willing to deal, who are you talking to? I always try to get past the sales floor, where they are looking out for their pocket. Often times the manager is more interested in keeping the metal moving.

Ard
especially knowing that the pilot is comming!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts