Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to prepare myself for the first "real" trip with the MDX. We're travelling about 1800km (just over 1000 miles) from Toronto to Halifax, Nova Scotia.

What would you recommend in terms of getting the MDX up to snuff for the trip? I don't have a wind deflector for the front. Is that useful in preventing small dings from prolonged highway driving? Are there any accessories that may be particularly useful for long trips?

I'll be checking the tires and fluid levels, but am wondering what else I could do.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
If you're near one of your "service" intervals (3750 mi., 7500, etc.), I'd get the service done before the trip rather than during. If service won't be due until the trip is complete, then you ought to be all set.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Full size spare

I highly recommend a full size spare for any lenghty road trips; particularly if you'll be traveling at night and/or if you'll be a long way from populated areas.

·
Registered
86 Posts
From my first long trip of about the same length I'd get some "bug protection" for the front. Someone here mentioned that you can get such staff(screen that you put on the front bumper) in auto-parts stores. Not only it's difficult to remove all that crap, but also helps to avoid getting your windshield really dirty. I'm not sure how effective it is though for windshield protection, but your car's nose will be much cleaner. I'd look for stronger washer fluid(I saw some have remarks mentioning easy bugs removal etc.) - dirty windshield is really annoying.
Those are small things, but when you have a long trip you would want to stop too often just to clean the windshield.
If you have kids and do not have entertainment system installed consider getting at least portable DVD player - it will save some time on stops too making kids busy watching.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Full Nose Mask

Thanks for your responses.

I'm thinking of going with a full nose mask to protect against bugs and road debris. If anyone has experience with a mask, please share your thoughts.

Otherwise, Prestone has a bug wash specially designed for summer use as a windshield washer. I'll definitely pick some up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3M Protective Film

Renov8r -

You bring up an interesting option - my dad works for a shop that can apply it. I guess I'm concerned about what happens when 2 years down the road, the film begins to wear down and it needs to be replaced. Will it be easy to remove? Any resulting damage?

The bra is a pain to take off and put on, but I'm thinking it may be good for a road trip in the summer to provide full protection. I like the idea of having the front bumper protected too.

I don't see too many bras around so I guess most have opted for other solutions.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts