Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts
:ghetto:

Acura recommends 91.

:lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk:

I don't understand the obsession some people have with cutting corners.

:9:

Next we'll see a thread where someone needs new brake pads and asks if they can substitute cheddar cheese, since Costco sells 2LB blocks for a good price.

Or what about using canola oil instead of Mobil 1? Canola is pretty slippery...

:2party:
😅😅😅😅😅

The 2008 MDXs are powered by a 300HP V6, here's nothing 4 cylinder like about them in my opinion. They should haul off the line pretty good, and sound mean doing it. Yes running 87 in these cars will result in a reduced power output but not by that much. I'd be interested to know if 91 does wake it up a bit. Other thing is it has 160,000 on it. So it's not exactly a brand new engine.

I know I am late to this discussion.
I am doing my research on the 2008 MDX and learned of the 91 requirement. My favorite used car dealer just got one. I test drove it, loved it. Honda and Subaru are the only Asian makes I will buy. For some reason, I have a revulsion to Nissan & Toyota The rest just give me jitters, especially the H pretender.

I test drove it, loved it. I am set to pick it up today. It has 161K. I did feel like it wanted to give me more kick than it did. I thought it was a 4-cyl the way it drove. It drove like my Bride's 2014 Buick Encore. I drive a 2014 Jetta. That sewing machine (in size only) engine is second in my experience to the 97 BMW 528 I once owned.

Reading this article, I wonder in hindsight if the power was compromised by the grade of fuel. I am not paying $45K+ for it. I am not even paying $10K for it. However, whatever I pay, I want to maximize my miles per dollar paid. Reading the article and replies helps me understand that the elevated octane requirement is how the machine is designed to give me this.

I thank you for taking the time to write the article. I am going to review the manuals for the Encore and Jetta to make sure I am not starving them.
First, welcome to the forum.
Since you don't know the history of the vehicle, including what gas was used, and with it's high mileage, I suggest you run either Seafoam or Techron in a few tanks of gas to clean the system. There are mixed opinions on here as to whether it helps, but it certainly won't hurt. I use Seafoam regularly in my 2000 Chevy truck with 198k mi, and the 2000 Johnson motor on the boat.

I switched from premium to regular... For my acura mdx tech 2014.
Premium to mid grade isn't much of a discount...

Anyone else doing this? I wanna conserve until this ukraine crisis is over and recession fear is over...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the great write-up; the clear explanations help me justify, in my feeble mind, why I should be using premium in my new to me 2017 Navi.
I purchased my last newish vehicle (2005 Xterra, bought in 2006, 500,000k now) because it used regular. Now being retired, the cost of premium in the MDX will be more than over-shadowed by the far fewer klicks I'll put on annually (33,000k each year on all previous vehicles when I was working full time).

Further to my first post on the subject, I compared mileage achieved on each of regular and premium gas, vs. cost per litre of each fuel. While costs may have changed since I did this experiment, I came up with the mileage to cost per litre ratio running about 1% better using the premium. In other words, cheaper to use premium. Not much, but enough to allow (in my mind) using the recommended premium.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.