Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I notice in the MDX brochure that Acura recommends premium gas, but states that it's not required. However, it cautions that using regular unleaded would reduce perfomance.

Just curious, has anyone noticed any performance difference between using regular and premium gas?

Thanks,
Will

·
Registered
619 Posts
supposedly there is a performance difference, but sure haven't noticed it.

this topic has been discussed numerous times, if you do a search u should find links to the C&D article, etc. etc.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
It says the same thing in the brochures for the MDX.
The Odyssey has the same engine and runs on regular. But is rated at 3 ft. lbs. less torque. So if that's the trade-off why don't we run regular?
Well, we don't know if the engine in the MDX was 'calibrated' the same way as the one in the Odyssey. There are often subtle differences in production runs even if on the surface they are the same basic engine.
But many do run their X on regular, or alternate, and don't see much difference.
I would probably run 91 on the open road or driving hard. But around town any reduced performance should not be a concern, if it's even noticed at all.
Keep in mind though, as engines age they do collect more deposits raising the compression ratio and creating hot spots. But with the removal of lead this is hardly much of a concern any more, especially if you follow maintenance schedules.

·
Registered
38 Posts
COMPREEION RATIO

Since I got my MDX, I have only used 93 octane (no 91 around). Yesterday I filled up with 89 just to try it out and see if I can feel any difference or notice milage decrease.

Since the MDX engine has 10:1 compression ratio, I wouldn't run anything less than 89 Octane in it. I know it has a ping sensor in it that retards the spark, but why take the chance with a 40K vehicle. Penny wise, pound foolish!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
GAS IS CHEAP

Why do we buy a $40K vehicle and haggle at the gas pumps? FYI:

Did you know that on a cost per barrel basis that "x" costs?

Crude Oil $22
Gasoline $50 (mid-grade)
Coca Cola $80
Milk $126
Evian Water $190 (Evian spelled backwards is naïve)
Orange Juice $251
Snapple $270
Perrier Water $329 (it’s the effervescence)
Lemon Oil $391
Crisco Oil $435 (not counting cardiovascular bills)
Listerine Rinse $900
Sunflower Oil $971
Olive Oil $1,325 (not the fancy stuff)
Real Maple Syrup $1,790 (Sam's Club prices)
Sesame Oil $2,536
Jack Daniels $4,135 (straight, not in a mixed drink)
Tannin Oil $4,290
Visine Eye Drops $32,202 (this leaves the red in my wallet)
Nasal Spray $238,133 (Flonase must be some good stuff)
Estee Lauder Parfum - $385,000 (perhaps if she catches him?)

·
Registered
285 Posts
i did a little bit calculation here:

we drive about 300 miles per week, which is quite long... at 18 mpg, the X drinks up about 16.67 galons of gas (87 or 93 octane)... so for a whole year (52 weeks), the X will consume about 867 galons of gas....

right now, the premium (93 octane) is about 15 - 20 cents more than the regular (87 octane)... which corresponds to about 130 - 173 dollars a year... or $2.5 - 3.3 per week....

thinking of it this way, that's really not too much of a difference, IMHO...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Guess you haven't read the book "The Millionaire Next Door"! $3 here, $3 there, every week ... before you know it, the savings add up!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
markedoc regarding savings

Then why are you driving an MDX and not a saturn that would of saved you alot.

People if your driving a luxury SUV why are you crying about premium fuel. You guys should be driving an exployer or cheaper vehicle. It's crazy to drive a luxury SUV and cry over pennies!!!!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
What about the 3 bucks

I though every dollar counts!!!!!
You would be on your way to a millionaire!!!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I believe most of the millionaires next door were buying used cars, and primarily non-luxo domestic ones at that.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Well, I could have bought a cheaper vehicle - such as a mini-van. I wanted to buy new since I like to take perfect care of my vehicles and change the oil often, keep them maintained properly etc. I'll probably keep this vehicle for 8-10 years, so the cost of ownership should be reasonable. Where autos get expensive is when people trade them every 3 or so years.

To each his own. I like to save $ where I can while still living a reasonably compfortable lifestyle!

I guess this is getting way off topic, so I'll end it here!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
$$$ - Not Off Topic

The only reason to not use premium gasoline is to save money! If money were not an issue then Premium vs. Regular would not be a topic.

I for one think, however, that IN THE LONG RUN there is no money saved by using Regular gas. In the long run I believe that Premium will cost no more to run due to better mileage and engine life. By the way there is only a 10 cent difference between Premium and Mid-Grade where I live.

I would NEVER use Regular (87 octane) in the car. I assume much of the discussion really questions if Mid-Grade (89 octane) is OK instead of Premium (92+ octane).

·
Registered
619 Posts
Mr. MSU79:

you have to admit that u are a little biased. You do work for a oil firm don't u? besides, i believe their is no increase in fuel economy from using premium.

besides, if i can save $150 per yr. well that's a new dvd player. that's how i think.

·
Registered
75 Posts
MDXLuvr said:
Mr. MSU79:

you have to admit that u are a little biased. You do work for a oil firm don't u? besides, i believe their is no increase in fuel economy from using premium.

besides, if i can save $150 per yr. well that's a new dvd player. that's how i think.
To take it one step further, I have noticed a difference among premium gasolines, much less regular and premium. I have not had our X long enough to notice a difference, but I have noticed a difference in my '99 TL. I noticed about six months ago that my mileage started getting better. Then my Dad suggested I start using what would be considered a second tier gas because it was quite a bit cheaper than what are considered the top gasolines.

About a month after using this gas, I noticed that my mileage had started to decline, but did not attribute this to the new gas I was using. To make a long story short, about a month ago, I went back to the quality gas, and I am now getting about 4 mpg more than I was getting, and I am getting much better performance from my engine. The gasoline is definitely making a difference in my car.

Now mind you, these are all premium gasolines, and I can tell a big difference between different brands, so I would hate to think what my performance and mileage would be with a less than premium gasoline. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
If the timing retards a bit to compensate for lower octane fuel, it is resonable mileage would suffer some due to the less efficient setting, which is preferable to punching holes in the pistons.
But don't equate 'quality' of gas with octane rating, they are two different things. Only quality gas should be burned, regular or premium.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Premium all the way

I would agree that the benefit of using premium high octane fuel out weighs the cost.

I've even started putting 93 Octane in my Dodge Dakota and it is getting 2.5 MPG better than when on 87 (I'm up to a whopping 17 MPG:D ) plus it definitely performs better.

Even the math makes sense. On tuesdays the local Sunoco has 93 $.06 cents off which makes it only $0.10 more a gallon than 87 which is $1.49. That makes it only 7% more cost for a 19% increase in fuel economy.

Friendly reminder:
Never put high octane fuel in your small engine (lawn mower, snow blower....) Small engines do not burn high-octane fuel efficiently, which can cause fouling of the spark plug. It can also create a build up of carbon deposits that can cause the engine to over heat.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts