Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts
Correct Grade of Fuel

NMC,

My suggestion is to refer to your Owner's Manual. They'll specify what grade of fuel you should be running. Modern computer systems are fairly advanced, so the programming in place is there to advance/retard timing based on sensor feedback. Using a different grade of fuel can occur as a result, but may result in poorer emissions, sluggish performance, lower FE, and perhaps longer term, engine damage. As noted in this thread, the money saved on buying a cheaper grade is probably not worth the risk. And, the negative effect on FE is probably not cost justified anyways. I suspect you’ll do better on MPGs with the right octane in the tank (just confirm what the OM says is preferred). But the numbers you're getting now aren't bad.

Good luck!

Kevin

My problem is I don't have the owners manual, the first owner kept/lost it I'm the third owner.
I have to pick it all up the hard way

My problem is I don't have the owners manual, the first owner kept/lost it I'm the third owner.
I have to pick it all up the hard way
It's available over the Internet and I believe it was posted in this forum too

Acura historically puts the fuel requirement on the gas door and or the gauge cluster it will say "premium fuel required" If you want I can find out for a specific vehicle. Most acuras are premium only. If you can't afford 92+ I suggest buying a cheaper/more basic car.

fuel octane is as important as what you run for engine oil. note 89 octane will damage engine valves over time and you dont want to see what we get at the dealer for a valve job Ihave 250000 mile on my 2004 mdx and only run super. I see first hand what cheep gas does to a cheep mans wallet

The fuel specified for all MDXs, all years, is 91 or higher octane. That's the "anti-knock index", the octane labeled on the pump throughout the U.S. and Canada.

In addition to viewing the owner's manual on the internet (in the owners section of Acura's website at acura.com), you can also buy a hard copy here.

I use BP Premium. I like to keep my engine in top performance. What is the difference of 20 to 30 cents a gallon from Super to Plus??
You buy BP gas even though they ruined our oceans and only cleaned up the mess when forced by the federal government. not to mention they also put hundreds of water-based business out of business?

Shame on you.

:28::28::28::28::28::28::28::28::28:

Yeah, I haven't fueled up at an Exxon/ Mobil in about a decade because of their money over earth business practices. Give enough time though, I'll have to go buy a Chevy Volt because everybody will have done something sooner or later. I do like that Volt though!!

You buy BP gas even though they ruined our oceans and only cleaned up the mess when forced by the federal government. not to mention they also put hundreds of water-based business out of business?

Shame on you.

Funny. You drive an SUV and then complain about someone using this or that gas company's fuel. They all pollute, have ecological disasters and create waste, just like we all do. We just don't see all on the news.

If you don't want to pollute or be beholden to a company that does (and they all have ecological disasters), walk barefoot, grow your own food from heirloom seeds and recycle all your bodily waste. Anything else is hypocrisy.

I love this topic....i was just in michigan...filled up my 08 that had a quarter tank left for maybe 55....here in Canada, would have been 80...
in Canada, or atleast here in southwestern ontario, gas, prem is around 1.50 a litre...
almost 4 litres to a gallon.....so please don't complain....
your 24 pack of bud light is only maybe 20 at walmart....wanna know how much here...almost 50. i think its 45....
Cigarettes at almost 11 a pack.....
So yeah........i like buying gas in america!!!!!

For those who want to use Plus 89 gas ...
Mix 1/2 tank Plus 89 with 1/2 tank Super 93 and then you will have 91.
In other words .. fill up with 93 then when half full fill up with 89.
Repeat - Do it again next time with 93 and then 89.
This way you never have less than 91 in your tank.
91+ is what the MDX 3.7 L engine requires.

Have done 6 months of data with above mix and 6 months w/ Super 93 only.
Result ... No difference in anything visual, MPG, or Performance.

I normally use Super 93 Exxon or Shell and get 16 - 17 - City, 22 HY MPG.
If you drive hard, fast, have poor maintenance, or carry extra weight you will see less MPG and you will get a slight less with Winter Blend {.5 MPG}.
If you are in one of those special places that require special oxygenated gas ... you will also get less ..
If we ever have more than 10% ethanol you will see less MPG and more engine wear.

Most get confused with the term "city" and
don't realize they really drive too fast and hard.
Both Austin and NYC are cities but the drive conditions are very different.

Shame on you.

It sure is refreshing to see that somebody in New Jersey is so much better informed about the BO oil spill then those of here on the Gulf coast.

May I ask just where you get your mis-information?

George

fuel octane is as important as what you run for engine oil. note 89 octane will damage engine valves over time and you dont want to see what we get at the dealer for a valve job Ihave 250000 mile on my 2004 mdx and only run super. I see first hand what cheep gas does to a cheep mans wallet
I have 71,000 miles on my 2004 and only run regular. I ran premium for a month or two after I got it in 2004 and then switched.

George

FWIW my 02 with 255/55/18 RDX wheels (3.18% larger) runs fine on 87. <shrug>

Shame on you.

George, He got his mis-information from the same media that did more economic damage in your area than BP, with erroneous reports scaring tourists from the gulf coast when there was no sign of any damage by BP. I share ownership in a condo in the Destin area and have spoken with several restaurant and other business owners whose businesses were damaged, and in some cases closed, due to the lack of tourist trade as a result of these false media reports.

Bought my '03 new and now have 140k miles on it. I have always used 87 octane. Mobil, Shell, Hess - whatever. No problems whatsoever. 17-19 mpg overall. Lot's of city driving and 75+ mph on the highway.

I have never run high octane in my cars. Also have a '02 Lexus ES300 with 140k, and have always run 87 in that. Lexus says 89 min. Bull.

I have 176.000 on an 02. I have kept careful records of my MPG based on tank refills (not computer readings) and clearly get slightly better MPG on 93 vs. 89.

93 is generally 20 cents more a gallon or 0.20 /$3.60 + ~6%. I loose 20 miles per tank with 89 compared to 93. So 20/320 is about ~6%. Given all the variables I consider the cost of 89 vs 93 a wash. Furthermore I use 920 gallons of gas a year (17.000 miles / 18.5MPG) even at a 20 cent premium it is costing me $180 a year or $3.50 a week.

If I could find 91 I would use it but really only 93 is available. Since it is cost neutral for me and even if it wasn't the difference is nominal (TO ME) I follow Acura's recommendations. When using 87 I notice a drop in MPG but not performance the way I drive.

BTW I do fill up with 87 on occasion when gas jumps way up in price. This is usually an emotional reaction on a bad day when gas is at 4.35 or something like that.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.