Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts
Using premium coupled to intelligent driving (coasting to red lights so not to stop and mostly easy acceleration) I have managed 19MPG average over 8000 miles (60city/40highway).

It amazes me because my previous 04 Subaru WRX wagon with a puny 2.0L high sprung turbo got 21MPG/premium in similar driving conditions.

I don't know over there but here in Puerto Rico 93 octane gas was discontinued this month...don't really know wy but I know I have been gettin a few less mpg...anything to do in my situation?? regular is definitely not an option I did once and tank din't lasted 200 miles

I don't know over there but here in Puerto Rico 93 octane gas was discontinued this month...don't really know wy but I know I have been gettin a few less mpg...anything to do in my situation??
Do they still have premium, but perhaps at a slightly lower octane, like 91 or 92? If so, you should be okay using it.

Anything over 91 should be fine. In the US, the octane rating of premium gas varies from 91 to 94 depending on the state you live in.

I would suggest always using premium. In my state you have 87, 89 and usually 92 or 93 as options. I think 91 is the minimum for Acuras.

My previous car was an Acura RSX-S, drove it for 10 years and 150,000 miles.. Still ran great (despite some aggressive driving especially in the early years, including a couple trips to the race track). I won't even consider putting anything but premium in this car despite giving up 10+ mpg from my previous ride.

The difference per gallon for premium from plus (89) is something like $.20-.25 .. if you're filling up the MDX you're talking like $3-4 per 300 miles say, and if you drive ~12,000 miles per year you're looking at a total difference of say $160 per year (give or take). It's not worth risking it.

I have been running 87 and struggling to get 15.8 mpg
Im below half tank so I will try a tank of premium tomorrow
and see what she will do

Ok we still have 91 octane over here in PR...I just filled my tank with Shell Premium these morning and an STP Octane Booster...she ran like a baby I went from east coast to west coast over here (300 miles approximately) and she did 24MPG!!!

Not worth it IMHO

I have been running 87 and struggling to get 15.8 mpg
Im below half tank so I will try a tank of premium tomorrow
and see what she will do
Rick,

Not worth it. You'll get better MPGs with the correct octane. Running the lower octane for half of a tank might have saved you $3. However, the loss of 20-25% in FE probably means you burned around 2 more gallons of fuel. At current rates, you saved $3 by spending $8.

Get the highest octane on the next fill up. You might get the octane ratio back up where it needs to be.

Good luck!

Kevin

I filled up with 93 octane 11.55 gals, the computer showed an immediate MPG rise.
I will clean the EGR Tomorrow or Sunday and hopefully maintain around 20-21 MPG
but just averaging around 19 is a major difference

As an "Acura Professional" I can say the 2010+ models are VERY sensitive to octance. I got one in that had 87 in it, before I realized what was going on I thought the engine was coming apart. They will compensate as you drive to keep from grenading the engine but in the mean time it allows a good amount of ping. It starts over littlerally every time you start the car so....if you want your car to get horrible mileage, have no acceleration, and progressively destroy the engine yes low end gas is ok. The ends don't justify the means.

You bought a very nice 40-50k Suv use good gas, and maintain it properly. If you can't afford to put the right gas in it and proper maintence it would be better to buy a cheaper model and take proper care of that. Pilot/highlander etc. will run fine on 87. Maintence cost is similar.

But yeah, the 10+ models are very sensitive to octane, not that it's ok to use regular in any other years. That model just does really horrible with it.

That's what I say... In my case I bought my 1st gen in a very low price (less than 10k but tranny needed repair) but that doesn't means maintenance will be cheap! It's still a 42k suv no matter how much I paid for it so I should treat nicely and give her the best ;)

Look up part prices for any RL or Legend, most are quite high. Then look up a price for competitors, even higher. Be thankfull these are honda based and essentially domestic made. But yeah you buy a 50k truck and then balk because the armrest is 300 bucks or something, cmon man.

I am on my second tank of 93 Octane Shell, I have aired the tires to 35, replaced the Engine Air filter, and done a quick and dirty clean of the EGR Plenum.
I am now showing 18.1 MPG and she wants to go Higher.
I will replace the ATF/ and VTM fluid next week, and get the EGR plenum spotless, and replace the EGR Valve (or clean it to like new condition).
But the 93 made an Immediate difference in my mileage up from when I bought it
3 weeks ago with 169,000 on the clock.

Look up part prices for any RL or Legend, most are quite high. Then look up a price for competitors, even higher. Be thankfull these are honda based and essentially domestic made. But yeah you buy a 50k truck and then balk because the armrest is 300 bucks or something, cmon man.
True!

I get about that with my perfectly maintained 08 tech/ent when towing my enclosed trailer(aka brick) :)

I am on my second tank of 93 Octane Shell, I have aired the tires to 35, replaced the Engine Air filter, and done a quick and dirty clean of the EGR Plenum.
I am now showing 18.1 MPG and she wants to go Higher.
I will replace the ATF/ and VTM fluid next week, and get the EGR plenum spotless, and replace the EGR Valve (or clean it to like new condition).
But the 93 made an Immediate difference in my mileage up from when I bought it
3 weeks ago with 169,000 on the clock.

Oh and....this is straight from my Honda/Acura Materials. This is real.

Top Tier Gasoline

I have a boosted integra that is very octane sensitive and find EXXON locally is very consistent (premium) Shell even though it's on the list I get poor octane related results but that was about two years ago last time I used it.

I get about that with my perfectly maintained 08 tech/ent when towing my enclosed trailer(aka brick) :)

This was all city driving though

Driving habits... Hehe I remember when I cleaned my EGR ports mpg dropped from 16 to 14 and someone told me hey! More air entering to the engine now keep your foot off the gas lol!!! But now I learned to squeeze the mpg no more flooring her

21 - 40 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.