Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S Advance
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 2022 MDX Type S Advance. Debating if I want to do PPF or not because of the price. Plan to keep the car until it can't run.

Comparing different shops, I got a quote from this shop. Custom cuts. Full car Xpel Gloss including the top of the car. Ceramic all wheels and interior black piano parts. All windows including front windshield and the sunroof (2 panels) with Xpel Plus. For a total of 7400 including tax.

I checked their work and their current jobs on Tealas, they hide all the seams and edges.

My question is if this is worth it? Its SoCal in case location matters.

Thanks

·
Registered
2010 MDX Tech+Ent
347 Posts
It’s a big suv, hence the huge price tag to ppf the whole thing… because I’m poor, I could only afford to do the nose and ceramic the rest of it. But hey if you can afford it by all means get it all done before the rock chips ruin your day.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S Advance
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 7400 (with tax) quote includes window tints, ceramic coating on all wheels and the paint black interior, full car PPF. All using Xpel brand (at least the PPF and the tint are). Their work is nice.

This is the lowest quotes I got so far.

I mean I will do it if it's worth it. Just not sure if it's actually worth it. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
'22 MDX Type S Adv '17 Accord V6 Tour
64 Posts
I’ve used Xpel brand PPF and tint on several cars and agree it is quality. I had the hood, bumper and mirrors on my MDX done with Xpel PPF because the first week after purchase I noticed a small chip. On a white car, the chip showed black. I could just see my car looking like it had black pepper on the bumper after a short time. Now, no more worries. All that to say I think all that for the price you have been quoted is worth it.

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
558 Posts
PPF’d the front and half way up the hood and side mirrors. 1+ year and 16k miles later and not a single paint chip. I’m in New England where rocks, sand, and salt are a normal. Very please with the $1200 I paid and the protection it’s provided thus far.

·
Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
414 Posts
What I did and what I think is appropriate is the front bumper and headlights and everything that isn't the hood on the nose. By the way the car is designed, there's the most risk of impact that truly damages the paint there.

I also have the mirror caps ppf

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type-S Advance
53 Posts
We did full body XPEL ppf, ceramic tint, and ceramic coating on ours.

We have kids, ours and neighborhood kids, regularly playing around the cars and often end up at kid events (where other peoples' kids whack your car with their doors). We also keep our cars for 10+ yrs, so for us it's worth protecting the entire car. We paid about what you were quoted for everything (full body XPEL ppf including lights, XPEL ceramic window tint, and ceramic coating). If we didn't have young kids we would've just done done the full front in ppf.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I used Suntek Ultra on my 19 Fathom Blue Pearl MDX hybrid +3 years ago. It was a combo of PPF and CQuartz Finest ceramic coating. PPF is way more durable, has a 10 year minimal warranty, hydrophobic like ceramic coatings, UV protection, and can be self healing in the sun with minor scratches. If you find an installer that tucks the seams can make the PPF look 100% invisible with a mirror shine after a wash. I decide to Ceramic coat the side, top, and rear because to save $$$ and I had splash guards+side steps to help protect the sides. I've had no other issues with other areas with previous SUVs; except, the rear lower bumper area. Probably spent $4500 in NM back in 2019. Prices and selection have 3X-4X since my first 3M PPF on my new 06 TSX and 08 RDX over the years (PPF still on the vehicles and looking perfect).

If you go with ceramic coating, hand wash/dry and use only ceramic products with microfiber mitts/towels works best. Ceramic coating looks good; but, takes A LOT of care because it WILL scratch so much easier than the regular paint clear coat without a meticulous care regimen. PPF is on the opposite end of that and way easier to take care of compared to a person that wash/chemical clean/clay/wax regularly the clear coat.

I did:
PPF
  • entire hood
  • front fenders
  • front bumper
  • HIDs/fogs
  • side mirrors
  • pillars on either side of windshield
  • rear lower bumper

Used Exoshield PPF on windshield

Ceramic coated
  • CQuartz the doors, roof, hatch, rims, windows
  • used Ceramic Pro the interior surfaces

I wrapped my entire 18 RLX hybrid in Suntek Ultra PPF, ceramic coated the rims/windows/interior, and Exoshield the front windshield for around $5500 at NM prices +2 years ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My experience I would put the PPF on. I was bringing the vehicle from the dealer to the detailer when I received a small rock chip in the lower right front of the bumper. We applied Xpel to the front bumper, mirrors & door cups See the link below of the work that was performed to my Type S (as well as a few add-ons). We will add more photos since we have added more items since the video was taken. Thanks

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S Advance
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the replies. I get PPF is a must now since I want to keep the car long term.

I might be able to ask the guy to add ceramic coating on the windows too since his quote already include wheels (I suppose the the rims) and interior.

On the Exoskeleton for the front windshield, is it necessary given the height of the windshield is higher than the sedans. Do you still get rock chips at such height? It's my first time owning and SUV so I am a noob...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thank you for the replies. I get PPF is a must now since I want to keep the car long term.

I might be able to ask the guy to add ceramic coating on the windows too since his quote already include wheels (I suppose the the rims) and interior.

On the Exoskeleton for the front windshield, is it necessary given the height of the windshield is higher than the sedans. Do you still get rock chips at such height? It's my first time owning and SUV so I am a noob...
My sister in law has gone through 6 windshields with her range rover, all covered by insurance each time from rocks flying up. I personally wouldn't cover the windshield and just let insurance cover it if it gets cracked.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I would double-check your insurance coverage for windshield replacement. It can be very expensive to replace and calibrate the Acurawatch system camera. Some owner's had issues with non-OEM glass and Acurawatch being out of calibration and not functioning properly.

I live in the dry and sandy southwest with posted interstate speeds of 75-80 mph (I'm 5-10 mph above that). Nearly impossible not to find sedan, CUV/SUV, truck, or semi that doesn't have a chip, star, or cracked windshield. Everything is 2-12 hours away at +75 mph once I leave the city limits. I like to keep my vehicles +10 years and +150,000 miles also. On my previous vehicles, I end up getting tiny little pits all over my windshield overtime from normal hwy driving. At certain sun angles, it looks like the night sky on a moonless night with all the sparkles shining off my windshield. PPF on my front end has taken care of road rash on the lower front bumper, crack fogs, UV haze on headlights, and debris strikes on hood/fenders & side mirrors. I decided to give Exoshield PPF a try on the windshield.

We only get 4-6 inches rain in NM over months and I don't know how well it will hold up in someplace like the PNW that gets close to 40 inches of rain? It is recommended to wax the Exoshield once a month to help slick the surface for rain and wipers. You can't use an ice scraper in winter if you get a lot of snow/ice (love the remote start feature). I've had Exoshield on since April/2020 and put +25,000 miles on my MDX with trips from Corpus Christi, +8 trips to San Antonio, Denver, El Paso, Las Vegas, Dallas, SLC, and Seattle. I've had loud rock strikes and a few sand storms; but, no damage to the Exoshield or windshield.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Question to those who applied partial PPF and then ceramic coating on top: Did you notice that hydrophobic properties are not quite the same on PPF vs ceramic coating directly on the paint?
I did PPF(Xpel) on full front and ceramic coat on everything (Kenzo IGL), and ceramic tint on front windows, paid 2700 CAD to a reputable shop.
Not sure if ceramic coating does not stick as good to PPF, but the areas with ceramic coating directly on paint seem to get water "slide down" easier than PPF+IGL.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Question to those who applied partial PPF and then ceramic coating on top: Did you notice that hydrophobic properties are not quite the same on PPF vs ceramic coating directly on the paint?
I did PPF(Xpel) on full front and ceramic coat on everything (Kenzo IGL), and ceramic tint on front windows, paid 2700 CAD to a reputable shop.
Not sure if ceramic coating does not stick as good to PPF, but the areas with ceramic coating directly on paint seem to get water "slide down" easier than PPF+IGL.
Yup! I've noticed the exact same thing with Suntek+Cquartz Finest on my 19 MDX and Xpel+Ceramic pro on my 18 RLX. I haven't try to claybar the PPF or wax with ceramic polish yet. Both PPFs have hydrophobic properties built into the film; but, not noticeable and dramatic as ceramic coating directly on the clear coat areas. Also notice the ceramic coating doesn't repel water to the same levels on rims and windows like it does on clear coat paint.

Reactions: Masaraksh

·
Registered
409 Posts
My PPF has a ceramic coating as well, but as other mentioned, did not have the same level of hydrophobic properties. I used Gyeon Cure on it and boom, just like the rest of the car. At one year I am going to re-up the coating with Gyeon CanCoat, which can be applied to PPF as well.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Would Exoskeleton affect the wipers? Or alter the view? Given that I will have a 70% tint on the front windshield. I live in southern California.
The Exoshield PPF goes on the outside of the windshield and covers the entire glass. The 70% window tint (I'm assuming) would be on the inside of the windshield. We just don't get enough rain in NM to know the long term effects on the Exoshield PPF (6-9 inches of very spotty rain per year avg). I can go weeks to month not using my wipers and usually have to change them out because of UV damage compared to wear. So far, I've haven't noticed any wear marks from the wipers on the PPF after +2 years when I do need to use them. I keep Exoshield waxed once a month and use Windex/paper towel to clean in my garage instead of using the wipers/fluid (mostly for bug guts and dust).

Exoshield would be a good addition if you travel a lot on the hwy. May not be worth the investment if your MDX is mostly a city car with a few out-of-town trips. Probably would hold up as long in extremely wet conditions like the PNW or if you get all 4 seasons and need to use an ice scrapper most mornings.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts