Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope everyone is fine.

I was very impressed with the Infinity basslink install that was done by a fellow MDXer and was looking into something similar where I could have it removeable and possibly transfer back and forth with another vehicle.

I was searching Crutchfield's website and came up with something.

They offer a wiring harness for their powere Bazooka subwoofer's. This harness plugs into the factory radio, then the factory harness plugs into it and then an extension plug goes to the subwoofer which provides ALL connections. Nothing to cut or add in the car itself.

They have two connectors which say for Honda/Acura vehicles. Was wondering if either one of these would work with the MDX. Hopefully DaleB or another expert out there can help me with this one.

Here are the links to Crutchfield's site. If it does not work, just go to www.crutchfield.com and search for Bazoooka Harness.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-QHOpqxxBahE/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=77200&I=2047071720

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-QHOpqxxBahE/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=77200&I=2047071721

Thanks a lot in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I am not sure what the difference would be between the MDX and a 1998 & up Honda/Acura.
I would be tempted to just try it and see if it mates up, and then if it actually works.
It would not be an easy task tracing out each wire unless you had a a standard Honda (for example) service manual available for comparision.
It is also possible it would work for the standard audio and not the Bose. The standard does not have a 'front amp' but it does not seem that would make any difference.
Are you just experimenting with different subs, or do you think the Bazooka would be a worthy replacement?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bazooka

I was looking into the Bazooka for the ease of installation and for the fact that it has a built-in 100 watt amp and I could easily remove it and toss it into my other car.

Every now and the I like that pounding bass and, although the Polk subwoofer I have installed is nice, it just does not pound. I am not looking for extreme volumes, just that tight low end in the sound.

Crutchfield has the harness for about $40 and the brand new amplified bazooka goes for around $150 on eBay. Thought this was a cost effective method, and something I could run very easily since there are no wires to cut or additional wires to add.

BTW, saw that "boo-boo" on the back of your X, daleb. Now that really hurts. I got side swiped in a CompUSA parking lot, while I was parked, and that killed me. Had it in the shop the next day. Also, go with the BSM. Looks good on the X and follow the template. Spoke to Tima nd he told me I was the first one in the country to have BSM on an X since he was the first dealer to get them and I was his first order. Makes me proud :).

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey Mushman. I would think that the harness should work just fine. I used a 1999 CRV harness for our MDX and it mated and works perfect. Not sure what the difference in the 2 you listed would be but, I know the Honda wiring plugs will work on the Acura MDX. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mushman, just one caution: i was looking at the details for that harness on Crutchfield and it says only 13 out of 20 pins are used. I just bought the Scosche HA08 harness, which is the same as the Metra 7x-1721 and they have that same pinout. The problem is that pins 11-14 are used by the Navigation unit and they are not wired in any of the above harnesses which means that if you insert that "T" harness, you will lose Navi voice.

Anyone knows how to wire the unused pins? Is there a tool i can get at Radio Shack for this? It might be simple but i never did it. Actually, for what i need, i could remove some of the existing wires and move them to the pins i need. Is it possible to remove those little connectors? They looked jammed in there pretty solid...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Kanuck said:
Mushman, just one caution: i was looking at the details for that harness on Crutchfield and it says only 13 out of 20 pins are used. I just bought the Scosche HA08 harness, which is the same as the Metra 7x-1721 and they have that same pinout. The problem is that pins 11-14 are used by the Navigation unit and they are not wired in any of the above harnesses which means that if you insert that "T" harness, you will lose Navi voice.

Anyone knows how to wire the unused pins? Is there a tool i can get at Radio Shack for this? It might be simple but i never did it. Actually, for what i need, i could remove some of the existing wires and move them to the pins i need. Is it possible to remove those little connectors? They looked jammed in there pretty solid...
Excellent find, and it makes sense the Navi voice would be the difference (if you have navi.....).
Could you not use wire splices and just jump those 2 connections?

·
Registered
54 Posts
DaleB, i'm not sure what you mean. I am assuming that people who use the "T" or a pair of Metra (M-F) or Scosche (M-F) just want to leave the original harness intact because they want to return to the factory setup at some point. So all wires that are of no interest for a given setup would have to be wired directly from M harness to F harness before making the final connection to the factory harness.

Anyway, i am diverging. What are "wire splices"?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I understand not wanting to disturb the factory wiring. The splices I am talking about clamp over the existing wire, and you insert another to make the connection. It's really a T connection. You don't cut the exisiting wire. Just splice into it and run a separate wire to the other side of the connector, and splice into that mating wire. The splices can even be removed and it does not affect the original wire.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW

Great find, and I do have the nav.

I put in a call to Bazooka Technical Support and they basically stated the harness will not work. Guess there support isn't as good as what I have here.

Iunderstand whatyou are saying daleb and might think about that. This whole thing started when I found an old CD with awesome bass on it. Iused to use this with my 1990 Honda Accord which had the competition sound system installed by me. 16 total speakers and that was my concerthall. The song was Baby Got Back and the bass in their is totally unreal. The X justcouldn't handle it, even with the nice Polk sub I have. It was good, but not what I am used to.

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Mush,

I'm afraid I can't help you much, but I do have a question for you if you don't mind, that you sort of answered already but I want to be clear. Do you think the Polk upgrade is worth the time/$$? Would you think a powered sub is a better investment?

Just want your opinion...

Thanks,
Rob :31:

·
Registered
54 Posts
No wonder Radio Shack's profits are down: I went to my local RS store here in NJ last night hoping that I would get some help how to modify the harness. The two salesmen and the store manager were totally useless. I told them this had to be simple because there are kids who do that in stereo shops all the time. They told me NOT to attempt to do this myself, that something would "blow up"! :p

I was about to walk out the store when I realized I needed to grab some crimp caps, so I ask the salesmen and they didn't know what crimp caps were!:confused: I just told them to forget about it and that I would go to the Home Depot around the corner. sigh...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Kanuck

I was about to walk out the store when I realized I needed to grab some crimp caps, so I ask the salesmen and they didn't know what crimp caps were!:confused: I just told them to forget about it and that I would go to the Home Depot around the corner. sigh...
I apologize I forgot to tell you RS does carry those crimps but they are all for larger wire.
You want the ones for 18-22 gauge wire.
Did you find them at Home Depot? I got them at another local hardware store.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
DaleB, I got some regular crimp caps at Home Depot, not the same kind you show above. What is the technical term for those?

I still can't find any information how to modify a harness. All I want to do is add wires to the Nav pin positions but I can't find the hardware for the pins...:(

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Robyjo

The Polk upgrade is definitely worth it. If you do it, get the 2 ohm version of the sub. I tried both and the 2 ohm definitely sounded better and put out more volume. If you do go with the sub, the wiring connector is same as the front speakers. I recommend getting that from a local Circuit City (that is where I got mine from) instead of splicing the factory wires.

If you definitely need the louder volume, which I wouldn't mind myself, go with a powered sub. The Polk would still work out great ifyou just aded another amp to it. Maybe something in the 100-150 watt RMS range.

The reason I am considering the Bazooka is for ease of installation if I could get their conenctor to work AND I could easily use it in my other car as well. I still love my lil Subaru Impreza and it has a nice sounding system, after my upgrades, but still lacks the bass I am used to.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sub wiring

Mushman. Do you have the Bose system? The harnneses that I got for the front and rear doors wouldn't work on my sub (base). Here is a old post of mine from way back in January that I didn't get an answer to. Just courious!

Niles :)

nwaring said:
I finally got around to the speaker upgrade. I installed Infinity 652i in all four doors and used the speaker adapters harnesses. I also used Dynamat as shown by the other posts. The front doors are very easy. The rear doors required some cutting of the rain shield. The earlier posts and pictures where right on and very helpful. I am not a HiFi person but the difference is definitely noticeable and the system sounds a lot better.

Now for the sub. The Pioneer TS-W28C does not fit. It is too deep, probably by ½ to ¾ of an inch. One thing I noticed and this can be a question for the experts. Our MDX is the base unit and the door speakers where all 4 ohm’s (so are the Infinity’s), when I pulled out the stock sub the printing on the back of the sub said it is 2 ohm’s. What’s up with that? Another question I have. If I ever get around to changing the stock sub is the + and – connections. Using the adapter harnesses on the front speakers was idiot proof for making the right connections but the after market sub (Pioneer) connection posts where both the same size. How would one know which way to hook it up?
:)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Kanuck said:
DaleB, I got some regular crimp caps at Home Depot, not the same kind you show above. What is the technical term for those?

I still can't find any information how to modify a harness. All I want to do is add wires to the Nav pin positions but I can't find the hardware for the pins...:(
I think they are just wire taps. They may have them at partsexpress.com
Not sure about the pin hardware.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My System

I have a base MDX (Non-BOSE) with navigation. I have upgraded the speakers and installed the DVD video system.

I am basically trying to add some MORE Bass.

The wiring connector for the sub in the base system is the exact same as that of the front door speakers. I can take some pics if you need.

Mush

·
Registered
747 Posts
Dale, and others who have the bose system--was the harness for the sub the same as the other 4 speakers?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts