Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the power window switch can be changed so it has the "power up" feature also?????????

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's likely a computer programmed feature, not a simple switch replacement.

I'm sure there are safety issues involved that prevent them from offering it without a very expensive sensor (garage door type) to keep the kiddies safe.

Dan

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
intrceptor said:

I'm sure there are safety issues involved that prevent them from offering it without a very expensive sensor (garage door type) to keep the kiddies safe.

Dan
Well, my RX 300 has one touch power down & power up on all windows & the sunroof. Lexus figured out the safety thing - I think Acura could too.............

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a car in '92 that had auto up/down on all 4 windows and moonroof. If you caught your hand in the window when it was closing it would sense the 'interference' and automatically slide down a couple of inches. There's absolutely no excuse for any manufacturer to ommit this kind of feature on all but a sub-compact economobile. Acura are penny pinching on this one.

I don't think there's much you can do about the present limitation without replacing the entire power window electrics, unfortunatley.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Slight twist to original question

Does anyone know if you can buy another driver's window switch and install it in the passenger's slot thereby getting that window to work as an auto-down as well? If this works, then you could replace as many as you wanted.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
gshermy2 said:
Does anyone know if the power window switch can be changed so it has the "power up" feature also?????????
I would check with acura to see if offered in the RL,CL or TL models and maybe can adapt over to the mdx!

·
Registered
101 Posts
The drivers switch is a complete set. All 4 switches are in one module so it wouldn't be possible to just use the "auto" switch and install on every door.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check to see if the Clifford SmartWindows module ($100) can be added without a Clifford alarm. When I've used the module with the Clifford alarm, it does one touch up and down plus close on arming plus open when disarmed plus a venting feature - very neat.

·
Registered
285 Posts
since honda pilot is going to have the 1-touch up feature, i'm just wondering whether it's true for the 2003 mdx also... in that case, we can simply just upgrade our old module...

·
Registered
88 Posts
i was wondering if anyone asked dealer about this possible upgrade. or maybe there are some other places where we can buy/install this feature. speak it up!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I think that waiting for the 2003 Pilot release is the best move ... might be simply solution ... then again,

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
'Tain't just the switch -- it's also either the motor assembly and/or an additional module. My guess is that it's the motor assembly, as at least part of the Auto Down circuitry for the driver's window is contained within the motor assembly. Might require a module, too. Sounds expensive!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I was thinking the same thing...

See, the motor must "see" the obstruction, generally by having a little circuit that says "gee, I usually use about 2 watts to move the window a quarter inch and now I'm using 3 watts and it ain't moving, I better back off". The switch can't do that. The motor, with a little circuit to monitor power can. I suppose you could concieve of an "add-on" module" that would sense the current draw and do the reverse signaling, but now you are talking double the wires and "programing" that accounts for changes in current unrelatedly to loading...

Pretty sure the circuit on the motor is WAY more cost/production line efficient. Not good for "retrofit option"...

I would gues that coming out of the Ody (with non-retractable windows in the sliding doors) that this sorta just slipped the minds of the designs and/or they though parents would not want auto-up windows (unlike TL/RL drivers who probably commute much more without kids). SInce the motors are probably already in the parts system and other manufacturers have not BEEN SUED for having auto-up windows in SUV Honda probably has the green light for MDX.

I'd expect a change in '03 MDX. If it weren't selling so damn well, they might even do a "rolling change" to '02 MDXs built after Pilot is released as the cost difference is proably minor and that way they could have just one motor on the line. If they wanted to be really cheap, they use the auto-up motors, but NOT change the switch so you'd never know the motor was auto-up capable...

( THis kinda reminds of a certain high end appliance manufacturer that builds just one 'control module; all the delux features are in all the units, but the actual 'touch pad' for lower priced units has no digital display/advanced options-- you can order the pad for MUCH less than the cost of upgrading to the delux appliance...)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts