Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went wine tasting with the in-laws. They are not drinkers in the least. Some one had a little to much and threw up on the rear passenger door. Some got in the power window switch. I need to remove it to clean it properly. Google was no help. I am hoping somebody her can help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not (nearly) the same thing, but here's a video for a door panel removal for a Pilot. It's probably pretty similar.

My in-laws just tried to pull the rear gate down by manual force, not knowing it was powered. My heart aches for the mechanical grinding I heard before I was able to stop them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Not (nearly) the same thing, but here's a video for a door panel removal for a Pilot. It's probably pretty similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqZAZ9xRKCY

My in-laws just tried to pull the rear gate down by manual force, not knowing it was powered. My heart aches for the mechanical grinding I heard before I was able to stop them.
you should be able to lower the tailgate manually without incident. i've sometimes done that and have not heard any type of 'grinding' noise when done. all you hear is the what sounds like the motor or its gears, or even the the hydraulic lifts pushing oil through the cylinders when you're pushing the tailgate down to close by hand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's good to hear. That part of the use case wasn't entirely clear in the user's manual upon a quick glance at first.

But nevertheless the sound of the gears and servos or whatever's in there was not a pleasant one to me - one that sounds as if some part of the lifespan of the system was being taken out by brute force.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
When I first got my 2014 the tailgate wouldn't latch so I closed it manually for awhile until I could get it into Acura to fix. This fault was there when I picked up the vehicle and I knew about it and bought the vehicle anyway - knowing I'd just bring it back in at a convenient time to get it fixed. This timeframe included about a 1,000 mile trip where I used the tailgate a lot (dog in back). One hears the sound of the open/close mechanism but apparently no harm is done.

Now the vehicle has about an additional 27K miles on it and there are now ill effects from closing it manually.

OP - that's some story about the memorable trip with the in-laws. I haven't tried to get to the window switch on this vehicle but in other vehicles I've had it starts with removing the door panel and then it becomes clear how to access the switches/locks.

Worst case - maybe your in-laws be willing to pay Acura service to take care of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I was really hoping to not have to remove the door panel. Oh well, it is what it is right?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Usually the door card is held on by clips and secured (as in screwed in) by the door/window controller and the pull, so removing them first to remove the card should be correct method (just like the youtube video of the pilot). It's just scary pulling up on these things sometimes because you can break tabs and such. But always check to see if there are screws first. I watched one guy try to pull the door card before the handles and controls and boy... watching his door card snap in half was surely amusing but sad at the same time.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Now the vehicle has about an additional 27K miles on it and there are now ill effects from closing it manually.

OP - that's some story about the memorable trip with the in-laws. I haven't tried to get to the window switch on this vehicle but in other vehicles I've had it starts with removing the door panel and then it becomes clear how to access the switches/locks.

Worst case - maybe your in-laws be willing to pay Acura service to take care of it.
i guess I am confused. You said there are now ill effects from closing the back manually. What were the ill effects?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts