Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Typically how often does the power window motor fail. My '06 MDX rear (both driver and passenger) side motors have failed for the second time. We hardly ever use it.

Mechanic is demanding $650 to replace both. Is that too high?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Haven’t read much about window motors failing on this forum.

Video will give you an idea of the labor involved in the job. It includes the motor and track assembly. Even to change the motor, the track has to be removed.

Re cost, you might want to call around. Also depends on if the parts are factory or aftermarket. Also if it’s just the motor or motor and track. I would guess rate would be based on 3 hrs so $300 to $450 in labor plus parts. I’d guess the quote is for aftermarket parts.

If you’re mechanical and you have tools, it’s doesn’t look hard, just time consuming. Might take a first timer 3-4hrs.

You can buy aftermarket parts for $150-$200. Motors or motor and track. Looks like the motor and track can be had for cheaper on Amazon than the just the motor.

After all that, what does the window do? How much do you use the windows? Are you sure it’s the motor and not the fuse or worn wiring at the body or door entry points? Can’t remember if there’s a relay - probably is. I would check those before replacing the motor or track.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Fire your mechanic and DIY. It really isn't at all difficult, and you can save a pile of money and feel like a hero by doing this job yourself.

I remember changing the right rear window regulator in my '04 MDX in the middle of a road trip (came back from lunch with my rear window fully down). IIRC, it was about 20 minutes worth of work.

I just checked and you can get each of the regulators for a little over $40 each from rockauto.com - they might not be quite OEM quality, but for lightly used rear windows, that's the way I'd go.

There are good videos out there specific to the MDX (not sure if the one LOP posted is specific or not), so you should be able to feel confident about your ability to do the job yourself and ruin your mechanic's cashflow... ;-)

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Hahaha, just did my rear passenger last week. Bought the motor assembly from partsgeek.com and me and the wife did it together in 1hr! So easy! Funny thing is we used the same video above. Only need 3 pieces of advice and 3 tools!
1) DONT BUY A CHEAP ASSEMBLY!
Reason why? If the holes don’t line up the window is off track and you’ll get wind noise and leaks!
2) Let the car be dirty before you work on it! Sounds crazy but here’s why, when the glass is dirty it leaves a perfect dirt line around the glass. DONT CLEAN THAT! It comes in handy for lining up the glass when you get the new regulator in. If it’s not lined up right you see the clean edge of the top part of the glass and that means you need to adjust the regulator higher in the door so the glass will seat snub...aka NO LEAKS!
3) In the video above...When undoing the two screws that holds the glass to the regulator the guy says “don’t let the glass drop”(AFTER HIS DROPS!) you don’t know how easy it is to do!!!! OMG!!! Tape it up, have someone hold it, stick a shirt in the door panel...do anything! Just be careful, that glass breaks and it’s a world of hurt! Why? It’s factory tinted glass from the factory....SO hard to find. Replacement usually isn’t tinted. My old Maxima had factory tinted, Safelite couldn’t find new factory tinted why my car go broken into in the 90’s! Had to get it tinted to TRY to match.(Looked like crap)
Tools:
1) 4 in 1 screwdriver or 1 of each type (Phillips/ Standard)
2) Socket wrench or drill with socket attach with a #10 socket
3) Roll of duck tape
Why, to put the white vapor barrier back on. The glue will be so old and dried out it won’t stick. ALSO, don’t tape over any circular holes in the door panel, those are the holes the panel screws go in! You’ll wonder why the panel won’t snap back in...you covered up the hole with duck tape!!! Lol
Once you do the first one the second will take half the time, just be careful and don’t be too aggressive with pulling the door panel (breaking a screw) or the weatherstripping along the top of the door. If you have window rain shades pull the glass up and inside the door space (he pulls up and out in the video).
($500-600???!!!!!)So easy, definitely a DIY job. Have the wife help with a couple of beers and a bottle of wine and when your done order some expensive takeout or wait till the beer wears off and go out to dinner! You’ll still be up $250.00+

1 - 4 of 4 Posts