Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang

It has been awhile since I have posted. Daughter is now driving our 2006 MDX with over 300,000 kms on it.

Ran into some power steering issues recently.

Started with a small leak, like dollar coin sized drops on the driveway. No noise from power steering pump.

Took it to local mechanic who said, power steering pump needs replacement. OK, so that gets done.

Get it home and now it is leaking a lot more. Go back and he says now the power steering line needs to be replaced. He found a lower cost non-OEM line and installed that.

Now no more leaks, but now the power steering makes the groaning noise it would make if it was low on fluid. Mechanic says it must now be the steering rack.

I am about done with this guy as I think he incorrectly diagnosed the leak in the first place and cost me accordingly.

So after doing some reading, could it be this non-OEM hose he used? Or the O-ring issue everyone talks about?

Thought I would reach out on here before taking it to the dealer to get it fixed correctly (and expensively).

On an aside, the MDX seems to have a case of bump steer, where the steering wheel turns a bit when going over bumps. Might this be related to the steering rack?

Thanks for any feedback, as always.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Yeah, almost no doubt that your mechanic misdiagnosed the first repair. My bet is that the noise is the same as SO many other MDXs, the O-ring on the suction side of the system. There are a LOT of threads on that. All you need is the O-ring (even the Honda part is chump change) and a 10mm closed-end wrench with a little offset (to reach the semi-hidden bolt holding on the suction hose). These go out all the time and cause a groaning noise - it's just the sound of tiny air bubbles being chopped violently into much smaller tiny air bubbles by the pump.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, almost no doubt that your mechanic misdiagnosed the first repair. My bet is that the noise is the same as SO many other MDXs, the O-ring on the suction side of the system. There are a LOT of threads on that. All you need is the O-ring (even the Honda part is chump change) and a 10mm closed-end wrench with a little offset (to reach the semi-hidden bolt holding on the suction hose). These go out all the time and cause a groaning noise - it's just the sound of tiny air bubbles being chopped violently into much smaller tiny air bubbles by the pump.
Thanks Habbyguy,

Great to see you still around and helping out.

I will look up the o-ring replacement and give that a try. For the price it is well worth a try.

Thanks again

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Picked up the washer yesterday. $13 with taxes. Inflation!!!

I didn't pick up any power steering fluid as most everyone states it shouldn't drip much.

Will work on that this weekend and report back.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update.

This didn't work for me and the reason is the power steering pump has been replaced. So the O-rings are different sizes. The one that is currently installed on this new pump is smaller than the replacement. And since that is all quite new, I am going to have to assume that isn't the source of my power steering groans.

So I guess my issue must be the after market power steering high pressure line the mechanic installed. That is the only thing that changed last time we took it in.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
If the previous mechanic used an aftermarket pump, and it's different than the original, that could be part of the problem. And of course, there could be some other incompatibility that's causing problems (which is why OEM - or at least OEM pattern - parts are such a good idea.

I'd shine a bright flashlight into the power steering reservoir and see if you have nice, clean fluid circulating, or if it's cloudy (indicative of tiny little bubbles being ground to very tiny little bubbles by the pump).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Habbyguy,

The pump was changed out and had no noise whatsoever at that point. It was when he changed out the high pressure line with an aftermarket hose when the noise started.

I think I'll take it back to the dealer for diagnosis.

Thanks for all your help as usual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts