Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
You wrote that in your post #53....its exactly what YOU said. The inference is simply that you have had an issue with an Acura, but not BMW. Statistically, you could have had the same issue with BMW, but you did not. Pure and simple.
No manufacturing process of any kind has a 100% success rate.

Of course you are the one to decide whether or not to live with your POS, I never suggested otherwise. If I had the same issues as you with my MDX, then I would likely also feel as you do. As I have said many times, in my opinion, its not whether there are problems with a product because surely there will be instances of manufacturing errors, but what really matters to me is how the manufacturer handles the situation.
I inferred nothing. you read into something that was not there. I have had problems that warranty took care of with BMW, but not within the first year of ownership. that was what I posted.

Yes, BMW are well known to have issues that are expensive when they AGE. Atleast during the first year, all my bimmers were reliable and fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I inferred nothing. you read into something that was not there. I have had problems that warranty took care of with BMW, but not within the first year of ownership. that was what I posted.

Yes, BMW are well known to have issues that are expensive when they AGE. Atleast during the first year, all my bimmers were reliable and fun to drive.
Ok, let me rephrase....I inferred nothing. You SAID that you have never had the issues within the first few days with your "bimmers" that you have had with your Acura. My response was simply that you could have. Simply the luck of the draw.
Better?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok, let me rephrase....I inferred nothing. You SAID that you have never had the issues within the first few days with your "bimmers" that you have had with your Acura. My response was simply that you could have. Simply the luck of the draw.
Better?
yep..I agree it may be the luck of the draw but it leaves a very bitter after taste. it would be easier to swallow if this was a 20K Chevy or Dodge, and expected. Not so on a 60k+ vehicle from a brand that is supposedly more reliable than the Germans. That is all I am saying.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
yep..I agree it may be the luck of the draw but it leaves a very bitter after taste. it would be easier to swallow if this was a 20K Chevy or Dodge, and expected. Not so on a 60k+ vehicle from a brand that is supposedly more reliable than the Germans. That is all I am saying.
Nope...not acceptable for any new car. Price does not matter. I expect every product I buy to work as advertised right out of the box no matter the product or the price. It there is an issue, the manufacturer will either make it right for me or not. If not, they have lost a customer (and anyone I can influence) for life.....conversely, I have had situations where the manufacturer bent over backwards to make it right and in the process gained a customer for life.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I don't think price correlates well to reliability, especially with new models or refreshes. When you see a Porche or MB reliability tank below Ford or Toyota you have to wonder.

When I bought the MDX I didn't do my research and just assumed that Acura was still a top brand for reliability. It's not and I've since learned that their reliability has gone down over the last 10 years.

In any event, the fact that I had a major failure in 2 months as well as the part taking 3 months to arrive AND Acura not caring has turned me against Acura for life.

I hope I'll have better luck with the X5 but I probably will. And when it breaks I fully expect to pay more...

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
It turns out that after ordering the rack/pinion/Power Steering motor assy (3 month wait) the problem was diagnosed by the regional tech expert as the wiring harness. That part arrived within a week.
I'm not surprised but it leaves you shaking your head. It's as if they went with the first option that'd let them just move on to the next vehicle and put this on the back burner.

And while many dealers might not do this, they probably could've fixed the problem in the wiring harness right away, within an hour, to at least let you get on your way while a new harness is on the way (or just stick with the fix). A 'wiring harness problem' is usually just an open or shorted wire that can easily be repaired. Less common is a connector pin issue which is more difficult to repair.

It seems it was easier for them to just ignore this than just fix it more expediently.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm not surprised but it leaves you shaking your head. It's as if they went with the first option that'd let them just move on to the next vehicle and put this on the back burner.

And while many dealers might not do this, they probably could've fixed the problem in the wiring harness right away, within an hour, to at least let you get on your way while a new harness is on the way (or just stick with the fix). A 'wiring harness problem' is usually just an open or shorted wire that can easily be repaired. Less common is a connector pin issue which is more difficult to repair.

It seems it was easier for them to just ignore this than just fix it more expediently.
Totally!

A lot of times these guys never want to spend 15 minutes diagnosing anything so they just fire the parts cannon at it, even though common sense would question why a part like that would cause the fuse to blow, while a short certainly would. Double sux that the parts cannon had a 3 month delay though, and that wasn't the issue....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Maybe it sounds like I am always bitchin on this forum so I don't post any more. My car is going back to the shop. The toher day, the ELS sound system decided to shut off sound to all speakers except the center one for 15 seconds and then everything back to normal.
That is not that important compared to this today: I was driving to go pickup dinner and there is no car in front of me for at least 75 feet and suddenly the BRAKE message flashes on my dash. I was afrid that it would jam on the brakes but it didn't. I also need to have my Road Departure Mitigation system checked. it only activates for my left, when I am far away from the marker and never activates for the right - even if i sail through 2 lanes over. I am going to bet they will find no fault codes recorded......sigh...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't think price correlates well to reliability, especially with new models or refreshes. When you see a Porche or MB reliability tank below Ford or Toyota you have to wonder.

When I bought the MDX I didn't do my research and just assumed that Acura was still a top brand for reliability. It's not and I've since learned that their reliability has gone down over the last 10 years.

In any event, the fact that I had a major failure in 2 months as well as the part taking 3 months to arrive AND Acura not caring has turned me against Acura for life.

I hope I'll have better luck with the X5 but I probably will. And when it breaks I fully expect to pay more...
Like you, I didnt research thoroughly and presumed Acura is a reliable brand. I had a 2018 X5d that I returned on lease. Not one thing wrong with it since day 1. I am looking at the X4 or X5 this week. I have owned/driven quite a few cars in my years, never have I mistrusted and disliked a car like this one.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Like you, I didnt research thoroughly and presumed Acura is a reliable brand. I had a 2018 X5d that I returned on lease. Not one thing wrong with it since day 1. I am looking at the X4 or X5 this week. I have owned/driven quite a few cars in my years, never have I mistrusted and disliked a car like this one.
I too am looking at an X5 after I went to test drive one dropping my Acura for warranty work. I use to have that stigma against BMW owner's that they are poor and most likely bought second hand where it depreciated a lot and aren't smart for buying a high maintenance car BUT after I test drove one, I can see why so many people love it. The steering wheel is small, nice and tight feel to the car, great torque for the turbo I6 and man that ZF8 speed transmission is the best transmission I've ever experienced. I hear about it all the time that the ZF8 is like the holy grail in terms of performance and reliability.

What's sad is that one can buy an Advance model and still be near base model for the X5 in that price range :( a fully loaded one is around $75k.

I'm scared to take the leap into BMW but I can't shake the test drive experience I had. I find it more fun than the Tesla Model Y that I owned.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
The BMW X5 was a non-starter for me since I wanted a 3 row SUV with a 3rd row that one could actually use. That left the X5 out. They have an X7 now and I haven't checked it out much but will at least consider it, along with whatever other competition exists in the space I'm looking at, whenever I decide to replace my 2014 MDX, which may not be for some years since it's been essentially perfect since I bought it new.

The BMW may be a decent vehicle but why do the turn signals not work in any of them that are around me on the streets?

I do think one needs to consider price when nit-picking a vehicle - i.e. if one is $20K more than another it 'should' have some desirable features that the buyer values that warrant the price difference. Of course, all contenders for me would have an expectation to be reliable and not have major failures, whether it's 30K, 50K, 70K, or 90K.

In the case of this thread it sounds like it may have been a fairly simple failure (broken or shorted wire) that could have hit any manufacturer vehicle that escalated into a major impact due to incompetent and lazy technicians at the particular dealership it was taken to for fixing it (along with whatever higher level support they reached out to), along with an unsatisfactory Acura customer relations experience (I've never contacted them so I don't know what they're like).

·
Registered
79 Posts
...The BMW may be a decent vehicle but why do the turn signals not work in any of them that are around me on the streets?...
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say about the turn signals? can you explain further?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say about the turn signals? can you explain further?
My turn signal always worked when I owned one.
BMW once placed an April fools ad that said they were eliminating the turn signal for cost saving since owners never used them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
The BMW X5 was a non-starter for me since I wanted a 3 row SUV with a 3rd row that one could actually use. That left the X5 out. They have an X7 now and I haven't checked it out much but will at least consider it, along with whatever other competition exists in the space I'm looking at, whenever I decide to replace my 2014 MDX, which may not be for some years since it's been essentially perfect since I bought it new.

The BMW may be a decent vehicle but why do the turn signals not work in any of them that are around me on the streets?

I do think one needs to consider price when nit-picking a vehicle - i.e. if one is $20K more than another it 'should' have some desirable features that the buyer values that warrant the price difference. Of course, all contenders for me would have an expectation to be reliable and not have major failures, whether it's 30K, 50K, 70K, or 90K.

In the case of this thread it sounds like it may have been a fairly simple failure (broken or shorted wire) that could have hit any manufacturer vehicle that escalated into a major impact due to incompetent and lazy technicians at the particular dealership it was taken to for fixing it (along with whatever higher level support they reached out to), along with an unsatisfactory Acura customer relations experience (I've never contacted them so I don't know what they're like).
There is at least another case similar to mine that the regional rep knew about (power steering failure) and another on this forum somewhere, plus I had 7 orders ahead of me for the rack/pinion/motor assembly so something's going on. I think it's got Acura's attention as I picked my car up today and then got a frantic call from the service manager that they should not have released the car as somebody from Acura is scheduled to drive it over the weekend.

I configured my X5 and it came out to be about exactly $10K more than my Advance after the destination charge. For that one less feature (cooled seats) but gained confidence, interior craftsmanship, and it really is a more fun car to drive. We're past the age where we need the 3rd row for kids or even grandkids anymore so I configured the X5 without it but with a spare tire which is rare with BMW's anymore.

The X7 I believe comes standard with the 3rd row and is roomier but 'starts' at $75K so you're probably going to pay $80K to $90K once you configure it. Sweet but very pricey.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I just had some fun with the BMW configurator and maxed out both the X5 and X7 with all the options possible. When you add in the $995 destination charge the X5 is $82,750 and the X7 is $97,635. Zowie.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Have you considered the Audi Q8? This was actually my first choice, but all of the dealers around here are marking them up above MSRP and I was unwilling to go that route....MSRP is a bit more expensive than the MDX, but not so much it put it out of my reach. The Prestige level was a beautiful car....

Reactions: brian_tii

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Have you considered the Audi Q8? This was actually my first choice, but all of the dealers around here are marking them up above MSRP and I was unwilling to go that route....MSRP is a bit more expensive than the MDX, but not so much it put it out of my reach. The Prestige level was a beautiful car....
It would have been a possibility but my wife did not like the shape of it, plus the driving controls, etc of the BMW will be easier for her to acclimate to since she owns a 535i.

The whole 'adjusted dealer markup' thing is maddening. We were interested in a Telluride but the top end trim models are being marked up here from $12K to $15K. It would be a great value for the $52K sticker since at that price it has pretty much all the options of the Advance but it's hard to live with being $25K under water when you drive off the lot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There is at least another case similar to mine that the regional rep knew about (power steering failure) and another on this forum somewhere, plus I had 7 orders ahead of me for the rack/pinion/motor assembly so something's going on. I think it's got Acura's attention as I picked my car up today and then got a frantic call from the service manager that they should not have released the car as somebody from Acura is scheduled to drive it over the weekend.

I configured my X5 and it came out to be about exactly $10K more than my Advance after the destination charge. For that one less feature (cooled seats) but gained confidence, interior craftsmanship, and it really is a more fun car to drive. We're past the age where we need the 3rd row for kids or even grandkids anymore so I configured the X5 without it but with a spare tire which is rare with BMW's anymore.

The X7 I believe comes standard with the 3rd row and is roomier but 'starts' at $75K so you're probably going to pay $80K to $90K once you configure it. Sweet but very pricey.
Yes I have configured the x7 with a better sound system and the options I would want comparable to the MDX Advance Type S and it is mid 90's. Nice car but as a 3 row, getting into the back seats is really slow with the electric motors. My local dealer never has any so they must be selling quick like the MDX.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It would have been a possibility but my wife did not like the shape of it, plus the driving controls, etc of the BMW will be easier for her to acclimate to since she owns a 535i.

The whole 'adjusted dealer markup' thing is maddening. We were interested in a Telluride but the top end trim models are being marked up here from $12K to $15K. It would be a great value for the $52K sticker since at that price it has pretty much all the options of the Advance but it's hard to live with being $25K under water when you drive off the lot.
Sheesh that is ridonkulous....$12-15K over sticker for a frickin Kia SUV. Talk about "bubbles" in the market!

61 - 80 of 86 Posts