Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
When ever I get a loaner from the dealer I don't really want my car back. I tell them to take their time because I am going on a long road trip. I think you are pretty lucky to get an MDX loaner. The only loaners my dealer gives out are RDXs and TLXs. If I were you, I would have waited it out.

Congrats on the Bimmer. I have owned them and they were always in the shop getting some warranty item fixed. My BMW dealer had limited BMW loaners so all I got was Chevrolet and Dodge loaners. Try the taste of that sometime. Good luck with the Bimmer and sorry to hear about your Acura troubles.
Right...as long as you have a "good" loaner equivalent (in this case another MDX) then you are putting miles and wear on THEIR car so might as well be patient, and then when they give you back your car all fixed up it will have fewer miles and wear and scratches and rock chips

·
Registered
194 Posts
So I just went to test drive an X5 while picking up my car from the dealer. Man does that X5 drive sweet, the engine noise, pickup and the fast/smooth shifting. I think that those want to get a similar feelng of the Type S to take the X5 for a drive, it's almost the same horse power I think? Too bad the X5 loaded costs $75k.

·
Registered
258 Posts
So I just went to test drive an X5 while picking up my car from the dealer. Man does that X5 drive sweet, the engine noise, pickup and the fast/smooth shifting. I think that those want to get a similar feelng of the Type S to take the X5 for a drive, it's almost the same horse power I think? Too bad the X5 loaded costs $75k.
Technically I think about 20 less horsepower but my money will be on the BMW being faster and probably more fuel efficient.

·
Registered
140 Posts
$75K as the ticket to entry.....once you are on the ride you will get stopped frequently to pay more tolls in the form of maintenance and repair on that Ultimate Driving Money Sucking Machine

·
Registered
258 Posts
$75K as the ticket to entry.....once you are on the ride you will get stopped frequently to pay more tolls in the form of maintenance and repair on that Ultimate Driving Money Sucking Machine
11 years of BMW ownership here. That’s not been my experience and mine was a first model year. Some issues over time? Sure. With that said even if it costs somewhat more some things are worth it. Truthfully if you want the most reliable midsize SUV you aren’t buying an MDX either.

·
Registered
140 Posts
11 years of BMW ownership here. That’s not been my experience and mine was a first model year. Some issues over time? Sure. With that said even if it costs somewhat more some things are worth it. Truthfully if you want the most reliable midsize SUV you aren’t buying an MDX either.
Wasn't my experience of 12yrs owning a 3-series from 2002-2014 but I'm glad you had better experience! And yes from what I read on these interweb forums, if I buy this MDX I may be in for some forehead slapping ridiculousness when the 80amp fuse blows and knocks all the systems out for months ugh

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
We bought a 2013 535i new and it has not had one issue, but I do believe their parts and service are high. On the cost side I did learn something when I ordered one. I could not find a car on any lots that had what I wanted. Most had the M package and other options that I didn't care about that drove the price to $75K or $76K When I configured one without the M stuff, but with AWD, HUD, best seats and a few other packages it came to $71,300 + $995 destination charge.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Wasn't my experience of 12yrs owning a 3-series from 2002-2014 but I'm glad you had better experience! And yes from what I read on these interweb forums, if I buy this MDX I may be in for some forehead slapping ridiculousness when the 80amp fuse blows and knocks all the systems out for months ugh
They finally fixed my MDX after 4 months in the shop when the power steering failed. They replaced the rack/pinion/PS motor, fuse and at the last minute the engine wiring harness. That last one got my attention since it could have been a short. I pick it up tomorrow and I'll see if I can find out what they think the cause was.

One the positive side, after battling with Acura NA for months and even filing a lemon law case against them, Acura finally relented and agreed to buy the car back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
They finally fixed my MDX after 4 months in the shop when the power steering failed. They replaced the rack/pinion/PS motor, fuse and at the last minute the engine wiring harness. That last one got my attention since it could have been a short. I pick it up tomorrow and I'll see if I can find out what they think the cause was.

One the positive side, after battling with Acura NA for months and even filing a lemon law case against them, Acura finally relented and agreed to buy the car back.
Interested to know if acura NA will pay 100 percent purchase price or some reduced percentage (“adjusted” price) as you have used the car, however short that time it. Pls kindly update here once you have that info. Does not have to an exact figure or exact percentage. But it will be nice to know whether they pay 100 percent or way less.

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
interested to know if acura NA will pay 100 percent purchase price or some reduced percentage (“adjusted” price) as you have used the car, however short that time it. Pls kindky update here once you have that info. Does not have to an exact figure or percentage. But it will be nice if they pay 100 percent.
Thanks!
They have agreed to pay per the Georgia lemon law rules, which are:

Cost of the car + taxes + license and fees + interest accrued if financed.
minus a usage charge which is a formula: cost of car*mileage/120000. In my case that'd be about $1000.

So the amount should be roughly the cost of your trade-in + payments made.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I pick it up tomorrow and I'll see if I can find out what they think the cause was.

You're picking up the vehicle but have you decided with certainty you'll have them buy it from you and if so, are you not really picking it up or is there some overlap time?

I'm interested in what the root cause is as well. I think too many places, including dealership service departments, maybe even on the advice of the factory support team, replace major components rather than determining exactly what the issue is and therefore an entire mechanical unit may get replaced when there was really a wiring problem. Of course, some wiring harness issues are self inflicted by the mechanic while they were fixing something else.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
You're picking up the vehicle but have you decided with certainty you'll have them buy it from you and if so, are you not really picking it up or is there some overlap time?

I'm interested in what the root cause is as well. I think too many places, including dealership service departments, maybe even on the advice of the factory support team, replace major components rather than determining exactly what the issue is and therefore an entire mechanical unit may get replaced when there was really a wiring problem. Of course, some wiring harness issues are self inflicted by the mechanic while they were fixing something else.
Oh yeah, with certainty I do not want to be in the Acura space any longer. I wanted to just leave the car with the dealership and drive the loaner for another month until Acura will refund my money but they wouldn't go for that. They are short on loaners and don't want to have to insure my car. I'm just going to leave it in my garage and drive my wife's 535i. I'm not happy about it taking a month but it's giving money back and their's little incentive for them to do that quickly, except for customer satisfaction of course.

I would bet money that it was not the rack/pinion/motor assembly but I'll probably never know. I suspect it was either the fuse or wiring or both (wiring shorted that blew fuse). At least they had wiring harnesses and it didn't take an addition 3 months to get that part.

Also, re: the lemon law buy back rules, they cannot deduct for the cost of the loaner car they gave me for over 4 months. That cost was not charged to the dealer but borne by Acura NA.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have never had ANY BMW stall on me on day 2 of ownership at an intersection; all the error messages popping up at random; can't shift into Reverse from Park until I restarted the car. Maybe they can be money sucking but it is a car that drives.

I am looking at the X4 / X5 with interest. I am seriously thinking about getting out of this $60 POS because I don't trust it.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have never had ANY BMW stall on me on day 2 of ownership at an intersection; all the error messages popping up at random; can't shift into Reverse from Park until I restarted the car. Maybe they can be money sucking but it is a car that drives.

I am looking at the X4 / X5 with interest. I am seriously thinking about getting out of this $60 POS because I don't trust it.
Well, to that point, I would say that I have never had an Acura stall on on day 2 either. To think that BMW has no issues whatsoever, I believe is not realistic. To Hogan's point, my wife's 530i has been a pleasure to drive and own, but not inexpensive to maintain.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, to that point, I would say that I have never had an Acura stall on on day 2 either. To think that BMW has no issues whatsoever, I believe is not realistic. To Hogan's point, my wife's 530i has been a pleasure to drive and own, but not inexpensive to maintain.
Where in my post did I say that is what I thought? All cars from all makes will have problems as they age. however, to have different issues within the first year is a serious disappointment. furthermore, anyone who has no issue with their car has no bearing to those who have problems such as myself. we paid the money for this particular pos and we are to decide whether we want to live with it or not.

·
Registered
578 Posts
All new BMWs come with free maintenance for 3 years/36k miles

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Well, I picked up my car today after being in the shop for four months. It turns out that after ordering the rack/pinion/Power Steering motor assy (3 month wait) the problem was diagnosed by the regional tech expert as the wiring harness. That part arrived within a week.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well, I picked up my car today after being in the shop for four months. It turns out that after ordering the rack/pinion/Power Steering motor assy (3 month wait) the problem was diagnosed by the regional tech expert as the wiring harness. That part arrived within a week.
That makes sense with the blown fuse. Of course you wonder what type of screw-up led to the harness being compromised within a month. I doubt it came with the wires stripped / setup to short... so chances are somehow it was mis-routed and/or damaged.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bloody wonderful....

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Where in my post did I say that is what I thought? All cars from all makes will have problems as they age. however, to have different issues within the first year is a serious disappointment. furthermore, anyone who has no issue with their car has no bearing to those who have problems such as myself. we paid the money for this particular pos and we are to decide whether we want to live with it or not.
You wrote that in your post #53....its exactly what YOU said. The inference is simply that you have had an issue with an Acura, but not BMW. Statistically, you could have had the same issue with BMW, but you did not. Pure and simple.
No manufacturing process of any kind has a 100% success rate.

Of course you are the one to decide whether or not to live with your POS, I never suggested otherwise. If I had the same issues as you with my MDX, then I would likely also feel as you do. As I have said many times, in my opinion, its not whether there are problems with a product because surely there will be instances of manufacturing errors, but what really matters to me is how the manufacturer handles the situation.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts