Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, the rear liftgate suddenly decided not to stay up anymore. If I hit the "lift" button on the remote, the gate goes up no problem, but when it reaches the top of the "arc" it starts right back down. Manual operation allows me to open the gate but it seems like the hydraulic pistons have suddenly lost the ability to hold it up. When I let it go it slams down hard as if having no support at all.

Is it common for those supports to go out suddenly like that? My MDX has relatively low miles (36.5k) for a 5 year old car and I'm disappointed the shocks have given out after so few cycles. If that's what the problem is. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem so soon?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Not normal but they aren't expensive either, If you can pinpoint the exact strut that failed you can replace it as the tailgate struts are sold as units and not pairs.

Just make sure when buying aftermarket if you go that route that they are (POWER TAILGATE) Specific!!! This is important as using the Base Model struts will cause the auto-binding feature to false engage as the base struts will not have the same amount of resistance as the Power Tailgate ones.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took a chance on non-oem struts on Amazon for 36 bucks. Mixed reviews...I will report back in a few days.

Reactions: 75Blazer

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Power liftgate struts arrived and the initial report is very positive. I felt around and found that the head of the shaft part, (the socket that goes over the door-side of the strut) on the driver's side was moist with oily hydraulic fluid. I followed the directions on the website here:

https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/blog/2010/09/how-to-replace-a-u-band-headed-lift-support#top

The unmentioned, probably for legal reasons, idea of using a ladder to support the door while the work is done made it easy to do by myself. It took literally a minute to remove the old one. Once you get a small screwdriver under the clip the strut falls off the little ball stud. As soon as I had the new strut in place, the liftgate stayed up above the ladder and I was done. Now I have an extra in case this new one goes bad or the other OEM side lets go.

If it lasts, it's money well spent. I'll post again in a few months just to keep everyone posted.

Reactions: DSDESLOGE

·
Registered
138 Posts
Today, the rear liftgate suddenly decided not to stay up anymore. If I hit the "lift" button on the remote, the gate goes up no problem, but when it reaches the top of the "arc" it starts right back down. Manual operation allows me to open the gate but it seems like the hydraulic pistons have suddenly lost the ability to hold it up. When I let it go it slams down hard as if having no support at all.

Is it common for those supports to go out suddenly like that? My MDX has relatively low miles (36.5k) for a 5 year old car and I'm disappointed the shocks have given out after so few cycles. If that's what the problem is. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem so soon?
Had the EXACT same scenario. $20 (each) replacement Stabilus struts from Rock Auto, about 3 minutes per side and it is back to working perfectly.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hood struts are just as easy to replace...FYI

·
Registered
2 Posts
Power liftgate struts arrived and the initial report is very positive. I felt around and found that the head of the shaft part, (the socket that goes over the door-side of the strut) on the driver's side was moist with oily hydraulic fluid. I followed the directions on the website here:

How to replace a U Band Headed Lift Support?

The unmentioned, probably for legal reasons, idea of using a ladder to support the door while the work is done made it easy to do by myself. It took literally a minute to remove the old one. Once you get a small screwdriver under the clip the strut falls off the little ball stud. As soon as I had the new strut in place, the liftgate stayed up above the ladder and I was done. Now I have an extra in case this new one goes bad or the other OEM side lets go.

If it lasts, it's money well spent. I'll post again in a few months just to keep everyone posted.
Hi MannyE... just wondering if your struts are still working fine? thanks.......

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Three years later and they are still working as when new. A bargain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts