Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if the only way to power up a PS2 or a vcr to an existing dVD setup is to use a power inverter? Or it could be wire directly. reason I am asking is that I don't like the looks of the power inverted coming from the cigarette lighter. There must be someway that I could be hard wire into the unit..

·
Registered
763 Posts
I believe MDXtrous, as part of his AWESOME video setup, had a power inverter hidden under the dash, or in some other place - read his thread. The only things exposed were the outlets.

You have to use power inverters one way or the other unless your equipment can run on 12V.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RF HEADPHONES

Awesome setup Mdxtrous!Can someone point me in the right direction. I am looking for two inexpensive Rf headphones. I couldn't find any at buy.com

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a 2 outlet power inverter powering my PS2 in the lower storage area of the center console (there's a 12V plug there). There is an opening for the cable , which then is just tucked between the front passenger seat and the console and you only see a few inches of cable. As a matter of fact, its hardly noticeable.
Downside of this setup is that you lose that storage space. If youre gonna do it this way, you'd probably need an inverter with an integrated cooler fan like mine to avoid overheating.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I saw a thread on the CL or TL forum about how to hook up +12V to the PS2 to operate without the use of the inverter. Give me some time and I think I can find the thread.

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
vip9 said:
I believe MDXtrous, as part of his AWESOME video setup, had a power inverter hidden under the dash, or in some other place - read his thread. The only things exposed were the outlets.

You have to use power inverters one way or the other unless your equipment can run on 12V.
My power inverter is installed in the back of the center console, just below the A/V inputs. The picture is a bit dark, but hopefully you can make out what it looks like.

As for the PS2, there was a cigarette lighter adapter made for the PS One. I went to Software Etc. and the lady said it should also work with the PS2. You can give that a try.

Here's a mobile 12-Volt VCR made by Sony that comes with a 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter. It's $135:

http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=SVPDC1

So in short, you may not need a power inverter, and use the cigarette lighters up front and in the center console/cargo area.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Oops, here's the pic

Power inverter and A/V inputs...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Re: RF HEADPHONES

TONELOC said:
Awesome setup Mdxtrous!Can someone point me in the right direction. I am looking for two inexpensive Rf headphones. I couldn't find any at buy.com
There are a number of rf headphones on buy.com, the cheapest is arounf $40.

Also try etronics.com.

Also, use mysimon or pricegrabber to search for products.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THANKS

First I'll like to thanks one and all for theIR effort in helping someone that was lost along the way. Mdxtrous, especially.......Thanks for you help. . This forum ROCKS

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
power source...where??

MDXtrous, or anyone here in this great forum who have install the dvd setup in their cruizer, quick question. I just got my setup in the mail (7" monitor from 5-star & a dvd player w/ built in tuner and seperate tv antennae). I am gonna install this puppy myself. It didn't comes with instruction so here goes; Where is the power supply coming from to give power to the dvd and the monitor?? Where it the connection made? Is there install note here somewhere on this subject. Also what difference does it make if you connect to headliner vs to the roof base??

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: power source...where??

Read the post, but still confused!!. I look in the package and read the manual,still confused. I have purchased the same 7" as Mdxtrous an a dvd, and can't figure out where the power source will be coming from(21v source)? I look at the cables that comes with the two units for power but do you connect that to some(not provided) source from the vehicle?If yes where and what. I thnk I read somewhere that I need additional haardware (i.e. connectors etc). Please explain to me where the power source is coming from for the tv monitor and for the dvd. Thank you

TONELOC said:
MDXtrous, or anyone here in this great forum who have install the dvd setup in their cruizer, quick question. I just got my setup in the mail (7" monitor from 5-star & a dvd player w/ built in tuner and seperate tv antennae). I am gonna install this puppy myself. It didn't comes with instruction so here goes; Where is the power supply coming from to give power to the dvd and the monitor?? Where it the connection made? Is there install note here somewhere on this subject. Also what difference does it make if you connect to headliner vs to the roof base??

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Try PMing cdawg or robert99.

·
Registered
18 Posts
what brand....

what's a good power inverter to get. According to Acura, the most you can draw is 10 amps (120 watts). does this mean total of all 3 outlets (2 front, 1 rear)? or 120 watts per outlet? Circuit city has a 140 watt power inverter from Tripp lite for 49.95. does anyone have any experience on this brand.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
It should be great, Tripp-Lite is a well established name in power control and switch products.
I've considered doing a custom inverter install myself.
The rear accessory is wired for 20A max. The front sockets are wired in parallel and rated to a max of 15A.
These are the fuse ratings, so you would want to be well below that.
I would not think drawing 140 watts off the rear accessory socket would pose a problem. Acrua's requirement sounds very conservative. Naturally, if you hardwire the inverter on the rear socket circuit, and then forget the inverter is on, and plug something else in, well, not a good practice but thats what fuses are for. You could get fancy and put in a switch so when you turn on the inverter the socket is disconnected. I am sure MDXtrous will have good ideas!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Re: what brand....

marlowr said:
what's a good power inverter to get. According to Acura, the most you can draw is 10 amps (120 watts). does this mean total of all 3 outlets (2 front, 1 rear)? or 120 watts per outlet? Circuit city has a 140 watt power inverter from Tripp lite for 49.95. does anyone have any experience on this brand.
This is the one I got. It's a Tripp-Lite 300 watts. It comes with a switch and two outlets. Very compact, and it's only $49.95 from Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...6314698/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-5907745-3921469

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts